FL Studio as a VSTi in Waveform 8/Tracktion

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all, I've just recently started using Tracktion Waveform, switching from FL Studio as I much prefer the Tracktion workflow and cleaner interface. Since I've not long owned FL Studio and having paid for it, I'd like to get some use out of it so I was wondering if many people use FL as a VSTi in Tracktion DAWs. If so, how do you use/find it?

If I were to use it, I would probably use it as a drum sequencer. I experimented creating drum patterns in FL running in Waveform, then exporting the MIDI from FL so as to take advantage of FL's pattern sequencer and piano roll, but that whole process seemed clunky as FL requires you to run a macro which loses all your instrument channels before you can export the midi.

My gut instinct at the moment is to cut my losses on FL and do everything in Waveform. I've never been keen on rewiring daws on running daws within daws, but I'm interested to know what others think and what their experiences are. I haven't used Waveform for long so experienced users of it will be a better placed to know if there are benefits to using the two together.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Template that will get you started at www.layitproductions.com sign up and go to the software downloads page.

lay it prodctions wrote:I have a Template that will get you started at http://www.layitproductions.com sign up and go to the software downloads page.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

How did you get on in the end? Just started with waveform it has totally blown my mind. Always been interested in FL, but never tried it.

DavidCarlyon wrote:How did you get on in the end? Just started with waveform it has totally blown my mind. Always been interested in FL, but never tried it.
I ended up selling Waveform. I had a few reliability issues with it - maybe due to my own setup, I don't know. If you like the traditional workflow of Waveform, FL Studio might take some getting used to as a DAW. However, if you want access to all the synths and effects FL Studio provides, it works well as a vst in Waveform as you can create your own custom template and route your Waveform tracks through to FL. It also works as a very flexible drum solution.

Yeah i bet it makes a good drum solution! Although i just picked up drum designer for falcon - which works amazingly with the step clips.
However...i seem to be migrating to Bitwig, as i too have had serious reliability problems with waveform. It crashes non stop with my plugins and i cant do Sidechaining without serious timing issues.
I will keep waveform to check on its development, its got a lot of potential and is really interesting. You are right that in a sense its traditional, but its also the most modular i have used and has some insanely new age features.
I find that bitwig also has most of these features - these are the two most interesting to me at the moment.

I did look into FL as a serious full time replacement, but to me the workflow is already a bit dated. I just find bitwig to be incredible!

DavidCarlyon wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:32 pm Yeah i bet it makes a good drum solution! Although i just picked up drum designer for falcon - which works amazingly with the step clips.
However...i seem to be migrating to Bitwig, as i too have had serious reliability problems with waveform. It crashes non stop with my plugins and i cant do Sidechaining without serious timing issues.
I will keep waveform to check on its development, its got a lot of potential and is really interesting. You are right that in a sense its traditional, but its also the most modular i have used and has some insanely new age features.
I find that bitwig also has most of these features - these are the two most interesting to me at the moment.

I did look into FL as a serious full time replacement, but to me the workflow is already a bit dated. I just find bitwig to be incredible!
Very late reply to this. I've just been looking through my old posts. I also found Waveform to be unusable for the same reasons.

I did have Bitwig for a while. A lot of good things about it. Very well designed IMHO. I moved on for a couple of reasons. The main one being the update model. Secondly, I found the interface sluggish and the CPU usage bad. That may have improved since.

I've dropped FL Studio. It's very powerful and certainly not a toy as some people claim. However, it's becoming seriously bloated and messy in my opinion. The clincher though was when I raised the bloat question on the Image Line forum. Very politely and respectfully, and with a suggestion on how I think it could be dealt with. Image Line's response through their chief fanboi and flag waver admin man "Scott" was to take my comment and start a new thread with it, pitching the comment completely out of context with the clear intent of starting a fanboi witchhunt against me. It was quite amusing. Sad in some respects. Unlike many FL Studio users, I paid them money - quite regularly. I bought into to the birthday offers and paying extra to enable the demos which are installed with it. ...

Call me old fashioned, but that seems an odd way to treat paying customers. Maybe an impulsive reaction, but I deleted my IL account. I'll not support any company which conducts itself in that way, no matter how much money I've lost. I can afford it so hey-ho..
Last edited by mgiambro on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mgiambro wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:54 pm

I've dropped FL Studio. It's very powerful and certainly not a toy as some people claim. However, it's becoming seriously bloated and messy in my opinion.
The beauty of FL Studio is that you can choose how much or how little of the "bloat" that you're exposed to. :shrug:

Russell Grand wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:43 pm
mgiambro wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:54 pm

I've dropped FL Studio. It's very powerful and certainly not a toy as some people claim. However, it's becoming seriously bloated and messy in my opinion.
The beauty of FL Studio is that you can choose how much or how little of the "bloat" that you're exposed to. :shrug:
True, but not what is installed. Bothers some, not others :shrug:

Return to “Tracktion”