Anyone else still having cutouts with Collective and Subtractive?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is anyone else still finding that Collective and Subtractive still suffer from random instrument cutouts? I'm finding that it happens fairly randomly but some instrument presets are more reliable than others. In addition, I tend to find that most of the sounds in Collective have a "phasey" quality to them, and wonder if the left and right channels are going out of phase with each other?

My platform is: Ubuntu Linux 19.04 Linux killermike-main 5.0.0-29-lowlatency #31-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 12 14:13:01 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My hardware is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz with a Lexicon Alpha USB audio interface. However, this is a problem that was occurring when it was a Intel Core2Quad @2.33 using Intel HDA sound.

I've attached a Tracktion file of a session that is blank apart from one instance of Subtractive on an otherwise empty track. I have saved it at the point at which it goes silent. Of course, quitting the session and then reloading it makes it work again for a while.

It's a shame that I've never been able to get these two plugins working reliably as they would be great for quick tune creation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yes, it happens occasionally with some instruments.

Stuttaton wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:07 pm Yes, it happens occasionally with some instruments.
Thanks for posting. Nice to know it's not just me. As I say, it's a real shame.

I suspect that this is a bug somewhere in the internal reverb of these instruments. When I turn it off before the first note is played (this bit is important) then it usually doesn't cut out anymore in my tests.

I confirm cutouts still in Subtractive.

It happens to me too. Please Waveform team fix these bugs. Collective and Subtractive are two great plugins but with these problems they become unusable :(

Still happens to me too, I just can't pinpoint the cause but previous tests if I remember correctly lead me to believe the bug was in the FX chain somewhere.

I happens for me with Collective. Seems worse with Plugin Sandboxing turned on but I have not confirmed that positively.

gigazaga wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:27 pm I happens for me with Collective. Seems worse with Plugin Sandboxing turned on but I have not confirmed that positively.
Is this with latest 1.2.5? I play Collective almost every day and didn't notice note's dropouts.
But Subtractive is sort of broken.

It can happen with other plug ins as well, especially if you have two notes in contact with each other (like two half-notes playing in succession): the first note sometimes gets dropped completely.

Sometimes if you click on the note in question, it sounds fine; other times, silence. But move it up or down a half-step and it works perfectly. Put it back where you want it, and it stops.

Once in a while, fully quitting out of Waveform and relaunching it solves the problem. Tonight, for example, it just isn't going to work no matter what.

I'm surprised this isn't reported more often, as it happens to me about every 3-4 months.

Oh, and Benutz is onto something, because often when I click on the note, there's a loud "pop" noise with a lot of reverb if it sounds at all. Miloatkvr is probaby right that it's an FX chain issue.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Hi everyone,

we have just recently discovered a bug in the code for the "Light" distortion type both in the voice and effect section, which might lead to silence or possibly even a crash. It has been fixed and will be incorporated into one of the next updates.

In the meantime, if you stumble over the behaviour you describe, you might want to check the current instrument if it uses this distortion type anywhere and change it to "Medium" by also reducing the Drive parameter to get a similar effect.

Also, if you note that a plugin goes silent even without this distortion type, please report it on https://tracktion.zendesk.com/ and include the Instrument name (or if it is your own creation, upload the Instrument) and possibly a stripped-down project file where this cutout happens so that I can try to reproduce it on my machines.

Best wishes,

Wolfram

Wolfram, I've experienced this same issue with UVI's Falcon, and another musician I know discovered it on his setup with Pigments 2. It's intermittent, though. I don't think this would be affected by Collective or Subtractive, although I believe they are loaded into other tracks.

It's the same issue for both:

If the MIDI editor looks like this:

C4| ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄|▄▄▄|▄▄▄▄

Often, that first note fails to sound. If I bump it up or down in pitch, it's fine. Move it back, and it stops sounding. Sometimes quitting out of the project and reopening fixes it; other times, it can be fixed with quitting Waveform and relaunching. And often, it works fine. And it happens only sometimes--not every time.

I use Collective in other hosts and hadn't such issue. This may point that problem is in Tracktion, I guess...

Not sure if this is related but I've had random cutouts on the left side when using RetroMod LoFreq Classic. I noticed that it happens when the extra filter is enabled.

I have a feeling Collective, Subtractive, and the Retromod's share a lot of the same software components so it could be the same thing.

I've also been told this occurs with RetroMods as well, Boomt.

Return to “Tracktion”