[announce] VeeSeeVST Rack VST2 plugin

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VCV Rack

is there any osx ,VeeSeeVST Rack VST2 plugin?

bsp804 wrote:
sagetone wrote:Is it possible to use the VST and the bridge versions in a single project?
Yes, that should work.
sagetone wrote:What is meant by "dynamically loaded" plugins?
Third party add-ons are usually located in DLLs (dynamic link libraries).
This VST plugin links some of the 3rd party add-ons statically, i.e. they are part of the VST plugin DLL (there was no way around that).
VCV Rack plugin DLLs are only supported by the standalone VCV Rack application.
sagetone wrote:Does this mean that I have to create a patch with the EXE, save the patch, and then open the patch that I want in the VST?
You can do that as long as the patch uses only modules that are supported by both VCV Rack and VeeSeeVST Rack.
This excludes all commercial / closed source plugins.
OK, this is all good, thanks! I'll try the VST out in my DAW, Bitwig, along with the bridge version.
https://www.reverbnation.com/toddsilva
Ryzen 9 5950x with 64G, i7 5820K with 32G DDR4, networked using AudioGridder, Bitwig, NI, U-he, and Arturia soft synths to name a few
Eurorack system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432465

Keep in mind that this is pretty much a "it compiles, let's ship it" kind of deal.

In other words: Most of the 300+ modules are completed untested in the VST environment
(I did instantiate each module once but I only actually used a few of them).

I have already found a few issues (these lines are from my personal notes):

Code: Select all

- connect LindenbergResearch Alma Filter: assertion failed saturation >= 0.0 (you will eventually have to click Abort which kills your VST host so don't use this module!)
- unconnected Befaco.SpringReverb: very high CPU load
On the other hand, the patch I am currently playing with convinces me that all the effort (which turned out to be much! greater than I hoped it would be) was worth it.

If you find any odd behaviour, please take note of the steps required to reproduce it and post them here.
Especially when you find any showstoppers like the Alma Filter issue.

One last thing: In case the Rack editor window fails to open, close the host-created VST window, then retry. This seems to be happen sometimes (to be investigated).

The source code is now on GitHub, along with the latest binaries (see vst2_bin/ folder):
check it out.

Changelog:

** July 2nd, 2018
- remove assertions in Bogaudio oscillator (were triggered when LindenbergResearch.AlmaFilter was connected)
- remove logos from Fundamental.* modules (as requested by the VCV Rack author)
- add module Template.MyModule
- clean up for GitHub release

Thanks you!

thanks!

btw the latest instr version is seen as a an effect by Ableton Live. Previous one was ok

Pretty great! I'm happy with Bridge, but this is an intriguing alternate option I'll have to look into.

My module suggestion: SquinkyLabs' ThreadBooster. I throw it on every patch I have because it makes everything run significantly better (on my old Macbook, at least).

lalo wrote:btw the latest instr version is seen as a an effect by Ableton Live. Previous one was ok
the new one should work now (I tested it)

however, you probably don't want the instrument version after all since you have to decide between effect or instrument, you cannot use both at the same time.
vaporlanes wrote:Pretty great! I'm happy with Bridge, but this is an intriguing alternate option I'll have to look into.

My module suggestion: SquinkyLabs' ThreadBooster. I throw it on every patch I have because it makes everything run significantly better (on my old Macbook, at least).
is this an open source module ? can you point me to the repo ?
(EDIT: never mind, found it)

some of them are a bit hard to find.

I just found out about VultModules, for example (I'm totally new to VCV Rack, that's why I initially asked which modules should be included in the VST).

Here's another update:

- add module VultModules.Debriatus
- add module VultModules.Lateralus
- add module VultModules.Rescomb
- add module VultModules.Splie
- add module VultModules.Stabile
- add module VultModules.Tangents
- add module VultModules.Tohe
- add module VultModules.Trummor
(these are the free, open source modules, not the commercial ones, of course)

Here's a new 7z: veeseevstrack_0_6_1_win64_bin-02Jul2018.7z

vaporlanes wrote:My module suggestion: SquinkyLabs' ThreadBooster. I throw it on every patch I have because it makes everything run significantly better (on my old Macbook, at least).
haha, it really does what it says on the tin. :D
pretty useless in a VST, though (the audio thread is most likely already at high prio).
the Realtime setting will only work when you run your host (or VCV Rack when you use the plugin) with admin privileges.

Anyways:

- add module squinkylabs-plug1.Booty
- add module squinkylabs-plug1.Vocal
- add module squinkylabs-plug1.VocalFilter
- add module squinkylabs-plug1.ColoredNoise
- add module squinkylabs-plug1.Tremolo
- add module squinkylabs-plug1.CPU_Hog
- add module squinkylabs-plug1.ThreadBoost
veeseevstrack_0_6_1_win64_bin-02Jul2018b.7z

Still refuse to open with LMMS and the plugins manager in Cubase put in on the black list and impossible to reactive...is it compile with a 64 bits compiler or a 32 bits!? The VCVRack sources ate 64 bits and I have no difficulties to compile Rack and all the plugins even the ones using Csound...

There's the Hora free modules also that are fantastic...but I think the sources are not public…:(

caecos wrote:Still refuse to open with LMMS
this must be an issue on your specific system -- I just installed LMMS 1.2.0-RC6 for Windows 64bit and the plugin can be loaded and is producing sound.
The only weird thing was that LMMS did not call the plugin's processReplacing() function until a note was played in the instrument plugin ("triple oscillator").
The block size area in the AudioInterface UI displays the last seen number of frames requested by the VST host. Until a note was played in the triple oscillator, it displayed "0".
(I used the effect version of the VST btw).

By the way: I just noticed that restoring the program data in other hosts does not work (you'll end up with an empty rack after loading the DAW project).
That sucks. I'll take a look.

caecos wrote:Cubase put in on the black list and impossible to reactive...is it compile with a 64 bits compiler or a 32 bits!?
it's 64bit. If you take a look at previous posts, others have obviously managed to get it running in Cubase (see previous page). Isn't there a button to clear the VST cache / rescan all VSTs ?
According to some forum thread, there is a plugin manager in Cubase and you have to activate the plugin manually. Apparently it's a common issue with Cubase.
caecos wrote:There's the Hora free modules also that are fantastic...but I think the sources are not public…:(
in that case it would be up to the Hora dev(s) to provide a .lib that can be linked to the VST. If they gave me the sources (which would of course be kept private), I could compile the lib myself but well, they don't know me so the chances are probably slim.

bsp804 wrote:By the way: I just noticed that restoring the program data in other hosts does not work (you'll end up with an empty rack after loading the DAW project).
That sucks. I'll take a look.
ok, that was easy. but it's a critical fix.

- fix program/bank chunk save/restore in Reaper and Reason (and maybe others)
veeseevstrack_0_6_1_win64_bin-02Jul2018c.7z

(the rack state(s) are now properly saved+restored. tested in Reaper and Reason)

:tu:

Return to “Modular Synthesis”