Why does bitwig pressure/aftertouch go to 128?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I noticed this a long time ago when you write aftertouch automation. If you go to the max value, plugins will interpret it as zero. And then I noticed with a midi monitor that when I used the simulate pressure setting on the touch keyboard (which detects the surface area pressed) it also registers 128 as it's max.

Aftertouch goes from 0-127 right? So what the heck good is to send a value of 128???!?!? It just seems to be interpreted as nil.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Why does bitwig aftertouch go to 128?
maybe this is akin to a guitar amp volume going up to 11? :hihi:
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:
Why does bitwig aftertouch go to 128?
maybe this is akin to a guitar amp volume going up to 11? :hihi:
I swear I almost wrote in my post "no spinaltap references!"

:hihi:

128 - just that extra filter sizzle
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote::hihi:

128 - just that extra filter sizzle
Except it sends modulated parameters to zero!

I've been using loads of MIDI gear since MIDI was invented and I've seen that some gear go 0 - 127 while other go 1 -128. It's been a constant head-ace because suddenly you find yourself working with a device that might interpret the lowest vs highest values differently. My guess is that this is caused by some unlucky misunderstanding back in the eighties when the MIDI protocol was to be agreed on by all the developers in the market?

Often, when working within software, I can fix this with a plugin that transposes CC values by one.... hm... doesn't BWS offer a MIDI CC transformer? If not, there is always the excellent Plogue Bidule plugin that will let you do anything you need in real-time MIDI streaming.
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com
Dell i7Q 3,4 MHz 32 GB RAM. Acer ZenBook Flip. Ableton Push#1, Fractal Audio AxeFx2. EWI, Cello, Chapman Stick, Guitars, Alto Flute, Tenor Sax.

I thought 0-127 was the correct way though and I thought everyone knew that these days. It's certainly what plug-ins expect. Not sure if a midi transformer would work with polyphonic aftertouch (key pressure) though. I should have said pressure originally as I don't mean channel pressure.

Hmm, yeah, I think this is a bug. Pretty sure 127 is correct. I'm going to have to do some experimenting. This might explain not sounding right on some of my recorded midi with aftertouch. In some cases I guess we could use Expressions mod with Math, but that kind of defeats having default mappings for pr/at. I wonder if Polysynth is using 1 - 128.
-- vav

vav wrote:Hmm, yeah, I think this is a bug. Pretty sure 127 is correct. I'm going to have to do some experimenting. This might explain not sounding right on some of my recorded midi with aftertouch. In some cases I guess we could use Expressions mod with Math, but that kind of defeats having default mappings for pr/at. I wonder if Polysynth is using 1 - 128.
It baffled me for a while when I drew pressure automation! A plugin target parameter like a filter would audibly close at max, and using the touch grid pressure simulation (touch area) would also suddenly change at maximum, but I didn't realize what was happening until I actually looked at a midi monitor when playing the touch keyboard and saw a value of 128. This value doesn't exist! I'll send this to support but wouldn't mind if others did too.

Return to “Bitwig”