Linnstrument note release time

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I prefer soloing with mono-legato sounds, simply because they allow for a greater range of articulation. That said, the LinnStrument opens up a lot of expressivity regardless; and, of course, MPE only really applies to polyphonic sounds, so...

Cheers!

Wow thanks for your inputs everyone!
Yes haha usually lead mono sounds aren't an issue since people generally play legato anyway (with delay/reverb added to taste)
If you're playing funk though, instruments like the clavinet and bass usually need to sound tight. So it isn't so much of playing fast but playing percussively.
I'll see if I have time to record a video illustration.

Also John, how did you measure your linnstrument's note release time? Maybe it's just a fault of my unit, since the sensor is also giving me dead notes on a particular row.

I didn't actually measure anything, I just took Roger's word for it (that it was 70ms), figured out roughly how many notes-to-the-beat that would allow for, and tried to exceed that number. At that tempo, however, it was hard to tell if I was hitting the limits of the LinnStrument's sensor, the synth itself, or if it was just my sloppy playing that was tripping me up. For the record, I didn't get any stuck notes, but the synth did seem to lag and miss certain articulations. The only reason I even tried to suss this out was because I was curious. I mean, it had never even occurred to me before, that one might be able to exceed the speed of the sensor while playing.

That said, BobDog, on the other hand, did measure the note release time, and came up with 35ms, so...

Regardless, you shouldn't be getting dead notes on your sensor, so maybe you need to run the calibration routine, and see if that doesn't improve things for you.

Cheers!

I measured it using the timestamps between a note on and note off using https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

I just did another quick test:
Screenshot 2020-02-13 at 20.52.47.png
So here we have 51-14=37 ms
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Hello ,

The long release time has alway been a huge deal for me and i'm glad i found this post , but i can't find the fixed OS Roger Linn talked about a few months ago (site still offers 2.21 from 2018).
Is it still in development or is there a beta version somewhere ?
Thank you .

Sorry, theracon. We’ve been late on a new release. We hope to release a beta in the next month that will include that fix.

Great !
Thank you sir .

Return to “Roger Linn Design”