Linnstrument notes not sounding

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone,

Just got a linnstrument 128 and I'm having an issue I can't resolve with all the resources provided. With my ob6 every 7th note does not sound and with my summit only 1 out of every 8 notes sounds.

I've tried a factory reset and every other idea I can find and nothing has worked. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

J

The OB6 only has 6 voices. If you've done the default MPE setup on the LinnStrument, it sets up 7 per-note channels. You need to go into Per-Split settings, select PerNoteChs in column 2, and clear voice 8 (in column 6). (If I recall correctly, the OB6 manual says it uses note channels 2-7 in MPE mode.)

Not sure what the issue is with the Summit, but I suspect it's not in MPE mode. Check its manual to see how it sets up MPE channels, and make sure you don't have more per-note channels assigned on the LinnStrument than the Summit specifies.

The Summit, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't support MPE at all. That said, I'd be happy to be wrong about that. I'm still hoping that Novation will add MPE to the Peak.

Cheers!

You are absolutely correct, the summit does not support MPE, it only supports polyphonic aftertouch. At this point I can't get the linnsturment to even setup for that. The most I can get is a row of notes to work with the linnstrument. Any thoughts on fixes are most welcome.

Thanks,

J

Sounds like you have it in Channel-Per-Row mode. You want One Channel mode. See the description in the Panel Settings part of the manual, Per Split Settings tab, MIDI Mode (Column 1) section.

Hi Silence,

All this MPE and MIDI stuff can be somewhat overwhelming at first. Here's a brief overview:

LinnStrument's MIDI Mode setting (in Per-Split Settings) has three options: One Channel, Channel Per Note (MPE) and Channel Per Row. These are explained on the Panel Settings page, Per-Split Settings tab, "MIDI Mode" section. You can access this page from the LinnStrument Support page. I suggest reading this to better understand how LinnStrument is sending MIDI. Once you understand this, it is important set your synth to receive in the same way. For example, if sending in One Channel mode, your synth must receive over one channel. If sending in Channel Per Note (MPE) mode, your synth must be an MPE-compatible synth and must be set to the same Main and Per-Note channels as LinnStrument is sending.

If you're new to MPE, there's another helpful page, again accessed from the LinnStrument Support page, called "What is MPE?".

To make things more difficult, it seems that Sequential's documentation on the new MPE feature isn't very clear. I couldn't find any documentation from them about how to use it.

If this is all too overwhelming, you're welcome to email me at the support address and we can arrange a time for a video call to help you better understand LinnStrument's MIDI settings.

Thanks for owning a LinnStrument.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”