Having Trouble Adding a Second Pattern (Logic MFX Version)

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I seem to be in your forum a lot, I'm sorry! But can you explain how to add a second Pattern? I created the first pattern and dragged it to the first pattern slot of the first Track column of the Pattern Editor and set it to In-Channel 1/Out-Channel 1 with a trigger defined. It works great. But now my pattern grid area is blacked out - I can't drag a new pattern in from the Phrase Browser, I can't manually enter note selections. Even the phrase name, phrase options etc. are unavailable. I can't find any solution in the manual - is this a bug? Thanks!

No it's not a bug. Is a basic Nora concept, let me explain what's happening and how you should solve it.

Think how any DAW works: You have a pattern/clip added and then (and only then) you are able to edit it in its built-in editor, right? Nora works in the same way. First you need to create the pattern or the clip, in the Pattern Editor or Playlist, then, and only then, you can edit it.

When you drag a sequence from the browser to the editor you're replacing the contents of the current edited pattern/clip (notice how you can undo this action), but if there isn't any pattern that is being edited you cannot replace nothing.

I suggest you start using the Playlist to create pattern changes / chains. It's more easier. Instead dragging from the browser to the Phrase Editor, drop the sequences in the Playlist (and remember to turn off the Pattern mode). When you create a new Nora instance, the sequence you're editing is located in the Pattern Editor, if you want to use it, just drag it to the Playlist.

I'm working right now in a basic playlist tutorial, it will be avaliable soon in our Youtube channel. Anyway, if it's not clear enough, let me know :)

OK, excellent, that works very well! - now that I see how it operates it makes sense. I can drag it from the browser to the playlist, from there to the grid, edit it, then drag it to the pattern editor slot I want it in and set it up with a trigger. Then repeat for the next phrase. I had thought I needed to drag it from the browser straight to the grid. Many thanks!!!

And a small shortcut: double click a pattern/clip to open it in the Phrase Editor :)

Thanks!

Return to “Squaredheads”