ComboSister MAC Beta-Testing.

Official support for: nusofting.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

putte wrote:Installing was easy,
It was, but the message that it will install in directory "VST" should really be improved. I did a double check to make sure it was not going to create either "/VST" or "myhome/VST". Turns out it was correctly going to install in /Library/Audio/Plugins/VST.

It might as well have said so.

Thanxs Putte. We are just checking some things before we do a new beta-testing with the complete version. I just wanted to first be sure that the DEMO for MAC was fully functional. ;)

Regards, WilliamK

TennesseeVic wrote: It was, but the message that it will install in directory "VST" should really be improved. I did a double check to make sure it was not going to create either "/VST" or "myhome/VST". Turns out it was correctly going to install in /Library/Audio/Plugins/VST.

It might as well have said so.
yea it was only saying vst because that's all packagemaker would say. i had no control over it. i'm about to update the code to 1.36, and when i make the new installer i'm not going to use packagemaker so it will look nicer.

putte wrote:
TennesseeVic wrote:So you can set up "next preset" to Shift-right-arrow, or something like that.
i think you mean "settings" ... no?
IF you mean settings this would be something else ... it would be saved settings of a plugin, but not the presets of the plug itself.
I meant "setting". Correct.

But I'm not sure what you mean by "presets of the plug itself". Built-in and not corresponding to anything saved on disc? Could you give an example for any of the Logic plugs?

Anyway, Dash guys, cycling through preset the way you can in Cubase is not possible with the VST-AU adapter, other than with a lot of clicking in menus. The key command mechanism doesn't help here.

Another reason for making a true AU version.

Something wrong with the Sus button: hit one chord, hit the next before it's faded away, and you get a strange stuttering distortion. This must be a polyphony problem, because it's easier to produce the more notes in your chord. With 16 voice polyphony I can not hit two 4-note chords close after each other without getting this problem.

About the GUI: the words Vibrato and Tremolo should be placed higher or something. Now it's like they only belong to the knob they're next to, whereas they belong to the two knobs plus the switch.

Also about the GUI: I think the choice of bright for button off and dimmed for button on is a little misguided.

Thanxs TennesseeVic for the comments. We will take those in mind for ComboSister V2.0, but not for this current version. ;)

About the SUS problem, I will take a closer look on this here.

Regards, WilliamK

TennesseeVic wrote:
WilliamK wrote:Oh, thanxs for the info. :P How is the preset-manager like on Lap6?
This is the obvious answer:
topaz wrote:last time I looked at logic (5 something) crap.

silly pull down menus and no apparent right/left button.
Fortunately you can do slightly better: in Logic almost everything is a key command, meaning it can be bound to a key, even if by default it is not.

So you can set up "next preset" to Shift-right-arrow, or something like that.
the keys you assing for "next" and "previous" plugin setting unfortuantely wont work with a vst/au's internal presets..you'd have to save each preset individually as a pst file and do it that way..it works very well obviously for logic's in built instruments though.....that's why an onboard next/previous preset switch of any 3rd party synth is VERY handy in logic's case

WilliamK wrote:We have to go slowly on this. AU is a pain to develope. So for now we have to stick with VST format only. Well, our company is VST based anyway. ;)

Regards, WilliamK
now THIS has got me perplexed :?

isn't the swicth to au supposed to be straightforward??

hasn't it got the best sdk available?

i read on one hand how annoying au is and from other developer's how brilliant it is..at the end of the day, once you have a working vst version how LONG would it actually take to port to au also??

TennesseeVic wrote:
LeeHurley wrote:it's also great to hear that it's working with the vst-au adapter. porting to AU can be a pain, and takes time, so if i dont' have to then it works out nicely. keep the comments coming.
The AU adapter is a workaround. Please don't use that as an excuse for not developing an AU version. Loading/saving presets is very inconsistent with the adapter. A big pain, if you ask me.

V.
hi, sorry to go OT, but since I am planning on jumping to a g5 shortly (currently on win), ,i will be relying very heavily on the adapter for vst only osx instruments...what exactly is the problem with loading saving presets? do you mean even a plugins internal preset banks?

ttoz wrote: now THIS has got me perplexed :?

isn't the swicth to au supposed to be straightforward??

hasn't it got the best sdk available?

i read on one hand how annoying au is and from other developer's how brilliant it is..at the end of the day, once you have a working vst version how LONG would it actually take to port to au also??
yea au is supposed to be straightforward. it's a great protocol, but it's annoying to port to. i want to make some au versions, but it will take some time. one problem is that there's no official gui sdk for au. a couple of people have made open source ones, so for that it's a matter of picking one and going with it, but again you have to convert all your code to work with that particular sdk. once you get everything going on au though it's great, because it's really efficient.

ttoz wrote:.what exactly is the problem with loading saving presets? do you mean even a plugins internal preset banks?
First of all, the adapter gives you sort of 2 interfaces to the same plug, one the native Logic interface, the other the VST, stolen from Cubase, interface.

The problem comes from the fact that there are 2 or 3 different preset formats. You can load fxb and fxp format through the cubase interface and aupreset through the logic interface, but you can only save aupreset format. Also, the Mac has this wonderful creator/type system that makes file name extension unnecessary. Well, you can load fxp/fxb only if they have that extension, so you may have to rename a bunch of files.

Thirdly, if you have the temerity to try to load the wrong kind of preset (an fxp through the aupreset interface, iirc) you hang Logic and probably the whole machine.

Apart from this general pain in the neck the adapter works fine. It gives me full access to all VSTs I've come across, with only one or two exception like Tassman, which are apparently close to being fixed.

Jeez. Any more words in this post and start looking like squids.

Not sure if this is intended behaviour (is there a manual?): the 2' stop drops an octave for all notes C4 and up.

TennesseeVic wrote:Not sure if this is intended behaviour (is there a manual?): the 2' stop drops an octave for all notes C4 and up.
william knows more about this than i do, but i think that was a feature of the original organ the combosister was designed after. so i think it's deliberate.
also i agree with you about the preset thing. i always find it nice when a plugin has it's own fully featured preset loader. i use both mac and pc, and sometimes move between hosts too, so it's nice to have something like that. hopefully we can do this soon.

TennesseeVic wrote:Not sure if this is intended behaviour (is there a manual?): the 2' stop drops an octave for all notes C4 and up.
it should be from C5 up, being C5 note 72, that is in the design since in transistor organs the upper limit is from the ocillators tuning,
all other notes are lower , made by dividers.

If it's from note 60 up, we have to fix that.

liqih wrote:
it should be from C5 up, being C5 note 72, that is in the design since in transistor organs the upper limit is from the ocillators tuning,
all other notes are lower , made by dividers.
Ah. Authenticity.

Another issue: there are a bunch of sounds that have a nasty distortion / cross-modulation / beats / whatever if you play a couple of notes. Is that also authentic?

Oh, real issue: the CPU usage on some of the more full sounding patches is outrageous. Please tell me you compiled with "-g". I have a 733 G4, and running just 2 ComboSisters overloads the CPU.

V.

Return to “NUSofting”