Cherry Audio Releases Polymode Synthesizer Plugin!

Official support for: cherryaudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Polymode Synthesizer

KVR friends,

Cherry Audio Announces Polymode Synthesizer, available NOW!

Cherry Audio is excited to announce the newest addition to their product line, the Polymode Synthesizer virtual instrument. Inspired by the 70s-era Polymoog synthesizer, one of the world’s first polyphonic synthesizers, Polymode is a singularly unique instrument. Powerful as it was, the original instrument had an often confounding user interface and a poor reliability record. Cherry Audio's new Polymode Synthesizer simplifies the user interface while greatly expanding on the strengths of the original instrument, and modern computer technology completely eliminates the original instrument’s notorious maintenance issues. Polymode Synthesizer precisely models the Polymoog’s unique oscillator ranks and multiple parallel filter configuration, while immensely expanding the modulation capabilities sorely lacking in the original. Additionally, Polymode Synthesizer adds gorgeous dimensional ensemble, phaser, echo, and reverb effects for even lusher soundscapes.

https://youtu.be/gu8Dt7BENAQ

An Innovative Unicorn

When the Polymoog was released in 1975, polyphonic synthesizers were in their infancy, and manufacturers were scrambling to produce a usable and affordable instrument capable of playing chords. Manufacturers tried a number of primitive methods to attempt to create a truly polyphonic synthesizer, from the price-is-no-object Yamaha GX-1 flagship, to various string synthesizers with tacked-on synth-like features. At its core, the Polymoog was built upon existing organ and string synthesizer technology, but with many clever innovations, it took this approach to the absolute limit. The result was an instrument that excelled at lush string, choir, and pad sounds.

The Greatness of Polymoog, Multiplied!

One of the Polymoog’s most unique features is its Resonators section, consisting of three state-variable filters, handling low, mid, and high sections of the audio spectrum. Though the original Resonators section was well-suited to creating vocal-like timbres, it was limited by its shallow filter slopes and lack of modulation capabilities. Cherry Audio’s Polymode addresses these shortcomings by adding a steeper and more pronounced 24 db/oct mode and a dedicated LFO, allowing modulation of all three cutoff frequencies. Additionally, all of the Resonators parameter sliders are modulatable via Polymode Synthesizer’s easy-to-use mod matrix. An additional Notch mode has also been added that’s great for creating phaser-like tones.

The mod matrix brings vast new capabilities to the table and allows modulation of all parameter sliders from a variety of sources, including two super-flexible, syncable LFO’s, VCF and amplifier envelopes, white and pink noise, and more. The Mode Filters section includes emulations of the Polymoog 203a model’s instrument preset filters plus the classic “Vox Humana” filter from the later Polymoog 280a model. Polymode Synthesizer also adds gorgeous, integrated front-panel effects, including a highly configurable ensemble effect capable of producing flanger and chorus effects, with a special “tri-chorus” mode that precisely recreates the dreamy modulation of the classic 70s Solina string synthesizer. Also included are a meaty, vintage-style phaser, and a lush reverb featuring room, plate, and hall modes.

For those anxious to dive in and create, Polymode Synthesizer includes over 150 incredible presets from veteran industry sound programmers, as well as recreations of the original Polymoog front-panel presets and spot-on “Vox Humana” string/choral patch, originally made famous by new wave legend Gary Numan. Polymode Synthesizer uses 64-bit high-precision processing for the utmost in audio quality, and even with 32-voice polyphony, users will find it very light on CPU usage.

All in all, Polymode captures all the charm of the Polymoog, while massively simplifying its user interface, tremendously expanding its sound and modulation capabilities, and leaving the original instrument’s reliability issues where they belong, far in the past!

Jon Carin, Grammy-winning musician, singer, songwriter, producer, and keyboardist for Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, and Roger Waters, tells us, "Just as my hunt for a healthy vintage unit began, the Polymode synchronistically appears, thanks to Cherry Audio, and I have to say, I am enjoying it very much. Extremely thorough design." Dave Polich, noted sound designer and keyboard technician for Michael Jackson, The Cure, Fleetwood Mac, and others, raves, "Speaking as someone who once owned a Polymoog 203a, I can say without hesitation that Cherry Audio’s Polymode is the most authentic recreation of that legendary synthesizer that I have ever used. It sounds and behaves like the hardware!" Jezz Woodroffe, film composer and former keyboardist for Black Sabbath and Robert Plant, recalls, "I had one of the first Polymoogs to be imported into the UK. I thought it sounded fantastic, but was incredibly fragile. Cherry Audio have revisited hallowed ground and recreated a mega synth! This synth sounds amazing through my studio monitors, definitely a new favorite!"

Cherry Audio’s Polymode Synthesizer is available now at cherryaudio.com, for the crazy low price of only $29. It’s available for both Windows and macOS, in AU, VST, VST3, AAX, and standalone formats, with a free 30-day demo available.

Nice one, thank you!

Apart from being standalone how is this different from the module version for VM? Unlike the other synths that were later released as plugins the Polymode was already a self contained instrument, just with the ability to integrate into the modular environment so not sure about how distinct this is.

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:03 pm Apart from being standalone how is this different from the module version for VM? Unlike the other synths that were later released as plugins the Polymode was already a self contained instrument, just with the ability to integrate into the modular environment so not sure about how distinct this is.
a question i also have, and i have the polymode module for VM.

Yeah, I think I'll break the deja-vu cycle here and stop re-buying these as I have all the modules already.
Also, I already have XILS-lab PolyM anyway, so... that's enough for me to skip this one, even at $29 (which used to be a good excuse for me to just get them and be done with it).

It's my way of finally saying to Cherry Audio "stop wasting your/our time with (duplicate) VST products and improve the Voltage Modular which was what brought me here in the 1st place".

I get it, selling as VSTs might reach a broader audience than only to VM owners but... isn't plain VM "free" now anyway? VM+Polymode module = $29 anyway, so maybe that would be the way to go.

That or simply bundling Module+VST formats in one package, keeping both audiences happy, VM owners and non-VM owners.

As is now, it feels weird and alienating to module owners.

As the owner of the VM, I see no reason to buy the VST. It do not bring anything new, just duplicate the modules. I'm waiting for something new in the VM environment.

I like it. And since I hate modular synths with a passion I am a data point in the opposite direction of some of the above commenters. To continue to go against the grain, I do not feel like Cherry Audio should be obliged to service me and nobody else. Feel free to make not just the simple VSTs for people like me but also VM for others. And other things, too, if that's what you want to do. I won't feel alienated.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Users will just have to vote with their money, that's all :)

I was "supporting" Cherry Audio by buying the VSTs too but I realized that's against my interests as in, I was in fact "voting" the wrong way these last 2 times (not 3, since the 3rd was free) :D

I'm enjoying the Cherry Audio VST releases. I'm still warily circling modular synths - ok, been circling them since they were hardware and Switched-On Bach was first released.
That said, if CA/VM port Mutable Instruments stuff, I'll be all over it.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

no clue about the VM. not interested. voted with my money, though, and bought all their VSTi. I think they are great fun, at a great price. Also installed the free version of VM just to tinker with, but I have no interest in LEARNING modular anything. we're all different and that's okay. :)

wwjd wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:16 pm [...] voted with my money, though, and bought all their VSTi.
[...] we're all different and that's okay. :)
yup :D :tu:
Last edited by Koshdukai on Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BAH! Ok, ok, I'll buy just this one too, darn it! :x
If I have a bunch of 2600's, Junos 6 why not have a pair of PolyMoog's too :P
(well, 3 if counting the VM module :wink:)
Last edited by Koshdukai on Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

I listened to the audio demos for Polymode. This virtual instrument sounds darn good; especially for the asking price.

I suppose this virtual instrument targets a different audience (i.e. music makers who do not use Voltage Modular); it is doubtful that many Voltage Modular owners who purchased the Polymode module would want to make an additional purchase for the VSTi format. I wonder if Cherry Audio would consider gifting to existing purchasers of the Polymode module a complimentary license to the Polymode VSTi, and then just throw in the VSTi with the Polymode module from here on out.
Last edited by tonedef71 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Hi friends,

We've created a new, short video that explains the unusual architecture of the Polymoog, and the Polymode Synthesizer. It's well worth watching this to understand all the cool and unusual timbres and textures you can create with this instrument.

https://youtu.be/xrQBbN_Yoyc

Thanks for all the great feedback!

- Dan @ Cherry Audio

BUG or NORMAL?

One of the Strings presets, when I play more than 6 keys, they distort and cancel all the sound out, like it is being crushed under an audio steam roller of compression. I play 2 bass notes on left, and 4 note chord on right, lift and move to another chord and I guess the previous notes are trailing off, and it starts new ones, but all distorted and crushed.

Maybe the real poly did that? I wouldn't know. Doesn't happen on ALL presets, just some of the deeper strings if I recall.
Tested, I pressed 6 keys down, and it was fine, 7 started to strain, and 8 just did the cancel crush thing.

I can find the preset and upload audio tomorrow if needed. Not any kind of deal breaker, just an observation.

Return to “Cherry Audio”