Envelope release and CPU consumption

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

Anyone know why the CPU-usage meter blows up to over 90% if the release setting of the envelopes
are set to high values?
That is; the cpu-usage is almost exponential to the release :)

I know that higher release times craves for more cpu, but this much?
I can attach some presets if someone needs a sample.

Ny specs are:
Zebra2 (the beta with the scrollwheel found in this forum)
Powermac G5 1.6Ghz 768MB RAM (damn. can't wait for the macpro i've ordered!:)
Logic Express 7.2.1, MacOS X 10.4.7

ask '' http://ask.illformed.org

Hmmm... it's typical that long release times keep the cpu up, because more voices are playing at the same time.

To kill overlapping notes quicker, try to set Voices (in Global/FX) to "few". This should be good for solo instruments with long release tails.

Pads will commonly live well with "medium", unless they are way too complex.

If the exhibited behaviour can still not be explained this way, please send me the offending patch to urs at u-he dot com

Cheers,

;) Urs

at some point in the future, could you add more voice # options? For CPU preservation purposes, it is nice to have more control than the 'few' 'medium' and 'many' (4,8,16)

6 is a very nice number for voices too

a nice ranger for Zebra2 would be 4, 6, 8, 12, 16

Well, if it would be possible to choose, why not put all the options from 1-xx in there?
"2" could also be quite useful, for example.

But let's see what Urs says. I asked this before and got the impression that there is a reason why it's not like that.

There was a reason for that, indeed. But I can't remember exactly (except for the 3 modes being different number, depending on play mode), maybe it had to do with a multpile-of-four thing that was better for optimization ?!?

It was beer.

kodama wrote:It was beer.
Probably... uhm... now that you mention it... yes :oops:

spritex wrote:Well, if it would be possible to choose, why not put all the options from 1-xx in there?
"2" could also be quite useful, for example.
I agree... that would be my preference :)

Return to “u-he”