Improvements!

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yorrrrrr wrote:I wouldn't mind either. You can release a CPU eating monster now, but it's as top quality as it can be. But in a few years the CPU usage wouldn't be as high and it'll still be top quality. Just like DIVA. That synth doesn't even bother my PC anymore.
Agree on every word.
Waiting to see Threadripper 1950 runnng 30 Divas playing 4 note chords with 4 stack notes on each withou hiccup. And in 3-4 years 1950 would be in average, not top performers.
Murderous duck!

Yesterday I played around with the Diva demo and noticed that when using long envelope release times, Diva's CPU load continues sky-high for more than half a minute after the sound level has already dropped to inaudible levels (I turned my amp and speakers to max, there was nothing anymore except for the noise floor). Then after those 30-40 seconds the CPU load suddenly drops fast (within 3 seconds or so) to idle level. Wouldn't it make sense to cut the processing as soon as there is no audible volume anymore? (I mean, we are not talking about envelopes with many stages, where the volume may come and go repeatedly, or looped.) I think it might cut Diva's CPU load considerably, especially with pads. I assume the long-lasting CPU load comes from the function used to calculate the release tail, continuing to calculate precise values that have long become irrelevant, though.

Ableton 10 is going to be 64-bit only. Isn't it time for U-he to walk the same way? When major DAW with such a market influence like Ableton is doing it it's clear signal that 32-bit is dead.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:Ableton 10 is going to be 64-bit only. Isn't it time for U-he to walk the same way? When major DAW with such a market influence like Ableton is doing it it's clear signal that 32-bit is dead.
NI have been 64 bit only or a while.

Our survey from earlier this year shows that something like 10% of our user base still require 32 bit versions. From a very pragmatic point of view it's easier to just compile for both 32 and 64 bit than to deal with tens or hundreds of upset customers.

However, 32 bit VST2 on Mac is slowly fading out anyway because some features of the new preset browser simply don't look as good (I think text input looks dodgy, dunno, haven't seen it)

Urs wrote: Our survey from earlier this year shows that something like 10% of our user base still require 32 bit versions. From a very pragmatic point of view it's easier to just compile for both 32 and 64 bit than to deal with tens or hundreds of upset customers.
I think this number has been changed a bit (pun intended) because there are no angry comments from 32-bit users under my post yet :) May be survey was biased in a way?
Urs wrote:However, 32 bit VST2 on Mac is slowly fading out anyway because some features of the new preset browser simply don't look as good (I think text input looks dodgy, dunno, haven't seen it)
It's actually THE news. I thought nobody is using 32-bit on Mac.
Murderous duck!

I'd be shocked if this hasn't been mentioned already, but the locking feature on U-He synths (Re-Pro, Zebra) could easily be improved with a tiny tweak.

What I want to do is extremely simple:
Lock the sequencer pattern when switching presets in Re-Pro, and keep the arp setting when switching presets in Zebra.

At the moment EVERY single setting needs to be locked INDIVIDUALLY! (unless I've overlooked something obvious)

In a 16 note pattern 48 things needs to be locked one at a time, and that's only for the pattern portion. Talk about a workflow killer. :(

It would be a vast improvement if we could simply right-click on the Sequencer/Arp tabs and lock the entire sequencer/arp pages from there (there's already a right-click option to set as default).

(Being able to lock the entire tweaks tab could also be useful, but the Seq/Arp is a necessity).

Thanks for listening to my rant (and hopefully considering the request). :)

"Module Locking" is on our list, but it isn't implemented as easily as, say, locking individual parameters.

Urs wrote:"Module Locking" is on our list, but it isn't implemented as easily as, say, locking individual parameters.
Nice to hear. :tu:
Omnisphere has arp-locking and it's a nice feature and time-saver.

Full "module locking" would be quite useful, but perhaps just the sequencer/arp would be less complicated to implement?

Another way to go about it could be a function to lock all the individual parameters in a module at once which would achieve the same result while being more flexible by still allowing specific parameters to be unlocked...

(Btw, if I duplicate a track, or copy a Re-Pro instance in Reaper the lock settings are not copied so I need to start the tedious process over if I want to tweak a copied instance. I don't know if this affects other DAWs since I don't use them.)

Just saw ANA 2 demo

Chord Memory with Chord Per Key + Arp + Multilane Sequencer. Very handy combination with nice results.

Why no u-he product has anything close to it?
Murderous duck!

Why should this make sense. This is a typical example for over bloating the plugin. In every DAW you have a chord device which you can place before the plugin and you are able to play one finger chords.

hihu wrote:Why should this make sense. This is a typical example for over bloating the plugin. In every DAW you have a chord device which you can place before the plugin and you are able to play one finger chords.
Programming different chords for different notes. What DAW plugin can do this?

So you're saying thing is bloated without even understanding it, nice approach!
Last edited by david.beholder on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Murderous duck!

Urs wrote:
david.beholder wrote:Ableton 10 is going to be 64-bit only. Isn't it time for U-he to walk the same way? When major DAW with such a market influence like Ableton is doing it it's clear signal that 32-bit is dead.
NI have been 64 bit only or a while.
Nope, they still offer 32-bit on Windows.

david.beholder wrote:Programming different chords for different notes. What DAW plugin can do this?
Can’t speak to other DAWs, but Logic has its Chord Trigger MIDI FX, which does this in Multi mode (not to mention the MIDI FX Scripter, which is incredibly powerful). For any DAW that hosts VSTs, there’s thepiz.org midiChords and other MIDI tools (donationware), or the relatively inexpensive Xfer Cthulhu, where you have both VST and AU MIDI FX—great arp features are part of the package.

btw wrote:
david.beholder wrote:Programming different chords for different notes. What DAW plugin can do this?
Can’t speak to other DAWs, but Logic has its Chord Trigger MIDI FX, which does this in Multi mode (not to mention the MIDI FX Scripter, which is incredibly powerful). For any DAW that hosts VSTs, there’s thepiz.org midiChords and other MIDI tools (donationware), or the relatively inexpensive Xfer Cthulhu, where you have both VST and AU MIDI FX—great arp features are part of the package.
Chord Trigger in Logic can also have however many notes you want in the chord. Put the Arp after it and you can make complex sequences playing just a few notes.

btw wrote: Can’t speak to other DAWs, but Logic has its Chord Trigger MIDI FX, which does this in Multi mode (not to mention the MIDI FX Scripter, which is incredibly powerful).
Btw, btw I just checked Chord trigger video and CT workflow looks exactly ANA 2 beta workflow.
Murderous duck!

Return to “u-he”