Hans Zimmer talks about Zebra2 (in English, 5 parts)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Very interesting - thanks for the links, I enjoyed all five parts.

Thanks for posting this. I'll probably end up picking up the 3 scores he mentioned that have Zebra on them.

Very interesting hearing his impression on listening to his own soundtrack in stereo, because of the loss of the 5.1 surround it was created for. This definitely give a different perspective!

Thanks for posting this Howard... it's definitely a great interview, and it was very cool to hear about the evolution of your working relationship. :)

thanks again for this......he always comes across as passionate and humble despite whatever other rumours we hear of him.
rsp
sound sculptist

GruvSyco wrote:Thanks for posting this. I'll probably end up picking up the 3 scores he mentioned that have Zebra on them.
Zebra is also the *only* synth on the "Sherlock" soundtrack. Unfortunately it's only a single note inbetween the orchestra somewhere, I think a bell sound :hihi:

The HZ soundtracks to get are Dark Knight, Angels & Demons and Inception. Revisiting recently I found Angels & Demons to be the one with the hardest to identify Zebras. There are choirs, organs, percussions and even semi-realistic strings played by Zebra. And bells. That's the major drawback of HZ's Zebra-love: You hardly ever hear it because Howie and Hans make it sound very natural.

;) Urs

Urs wrote:
GruvSyco wrote:Thanks for posting this. I'll probably end up picking up the 3 scores he mentioned that have Zebra on them.
Zebra is also the *only* synth on the "Sherlock" soundtrack. Unfortunately it's only a single note inbetween the orchestra somewhere, I think a bell sound :hihi:

The HZ soundtracks to get are Dark Knight, Angels & Demons and Inception. Revisiting recently I found Angels & Demons to be the one with the hardest to identify Zebras. There are choirs, organs, percussions and even semi-realistic strings played by Zebra. And bells. That's the major drawback of HZ's Zebra-love: You hardly ever hear it because Howie and Hans make it sound very natural.

;) Urs
I don't remember which post it was, but it's been stuck in my head, that you've said before that a lot of the times where a synth can be identified, it's not Zebra, and where you hear natural instruments, it's mostly Zebra with support from orchestral instruments. I find that very cool.

I have not listened to the Angels & Demons soundtrack yet (aside from watching the movie), but it's next on the list to take a good listen too!

There's a very short video somewhere on YouTube showing Howard playing a vibrato string patch on Zebra which I believe he made for Batman. Incredible.

Howard,
I had no idea of your resume! Cool! I've only owned Zebra 2.5 for a month, and quickly after I got involved with it, I wondered how much Zebra might have been influenced by the Moog Modular (yes, I own the Arturia version); I was always intrigued by the huge amounts of knobs & wires of the Moog Modular, even before I ever touched a synthesizer. I do have to say the Zebra "virtual wiring" is easier than the Arturia Moog Modular "virtual wiring". I will have to watch more than the first 2 videos in the near future.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

opus_diaboli wrote:There's a very short video somewhere on YouTube showing Howard playing a vibrato string patch on Zebra...
Really? I can't find it in YouTube.

Howard wrote:
opus_diaboli wrote:There's a very short video somewhere on YouTube showing Howard playing a vibrato string patch on Zebra...
Unfortunately I can't find it anymore. When I first heard that Zebra has been used in Batman I googled for it and I found that video. I also don't know the terms I used to find it. And I'm not even sure if it was a YT video. All I remember is that somebody talked about this Batman thing and asked you to give an example. And you played this one string sound. I think it was during an exhibition.

opus_diaboli wrote:
Howard wrote:
Unfortunately I can't find it anymore. When I first heard that Zebra has been used in Batman I googled for it and I found that video. I also don't know the terms I used to find it. And I'm not even sure if it was a YT video. All I remember is that somebody talked about this Batman thing and asked you to give an example. And you played this one string sound. I think it was during an exhibition.
as far as i remember, it must have been a video about the Musikmesse Frankfurt(2 years ago?): U-HE booth with Urs and Howard à la Vampire, but i'm not sure anymore, if it was a string sound.
"It dreamed itself along"

opus_diaboli wrote:
Howard wrote:
The Sonicstate video from Messe 2009?

:-o telepathy?
"It dreamed itself along"

mellotronaut wrote::-o telepathy?
Must be :o

Urs wrote:
opus_diaboli wrote:
Howard wrote:
The Sonicstate video from Messe 2009?
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/04/ ... from-u-he/ There it is :)

I want those choir and string sounds NOW :hihi:

Cheers
Dennis

Return to “u-he”