Diva and Multicore

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Diva uses more CPU whenever multicore button is on, should it not be less?

Are you using Reaper? If so, it's a known issue with how Reaper calculates CPU usage. If you try, you'll actually notice that you can get a lot more voices with multicore on, so the CPU use is actually down, even though it looks higher.

It's fine in other hosts.

I am using Live 9

I've noticed that Live 9 reports rather high CPU usage relative to what my systems stats tool reports. I'll scan the Ableton forum later today and see if I find anything...

It also depends on the CPU. Most effect is seen when 4 cores or more are present and if the CPU has Sandy Bridge or newer. Worst results have been observed on Core 2 Duo machines, where it is indeed better to switch the Multicore option off.

On top of that, it isn't good to have more than a few instances of Diva (or any plug-in supporting multicore) enabled with this option, as then the overhead increases. It really is menat to help playing an instance or two live, but it isn't meant to replace track freeze and stuff.

Cheers,

- Urs

Its not realy a problem.
I was just wondering why I had an increase in cpu from 10% to 13% running when turning on multicore in one instance of Diva. I was expecting the opposite.

My processor is an i5 quadcore.

Well, multicore costs a tad more CPU in total due to the overhead of distributing voices among cores. It however takes load off of a single core when many voices are played.

Note that monophonic modes don't do that yet, even if voice stacking is enabled. I'm currently working on an updated version of our vocie scheduling that then does this too :-)

it's strange but my Sandy Bridge laptop with 2 physical and 4 threatments - for one sound can jumo from 10% to 45%..
and some sounds even can crash my Core i5 7600K desctop
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

Return to “u-he”