Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Happy new year!

Test results are in for Repro-1-6857, Fedora 27, and the latest Reaper with IRunLoop (reaper571pre6_linux_x86_64):

No GUI on either version. Here is the console output for what happens, hope it helps!

Code: Select all

VST2 VERSION:

Repro-5 VST telling REAPER about 22 samples latency
first draw time since ViewMan started 730.41
xcb_shm_put_image: BadDrawable
/ AM_VST_Editor::open
AM_VST_Editor::getRect 1130 x 680
extern_setParameter with NULL value
extern_setParameter with NULL value
SHM does have shared pixmaps. Using xcb_copy_area().
Failed to create xcb pixmap: BadDrawable
Unhandled X11 event: 0
... (continues saying BadDrawable)

VST3 VERSION:

Repro-5 VST3 telling Unknown host about latency change, host should request number of latency samples next
AM_VST3_Processor::getLatencySamples (22)
tresult PLUGIN_API AM_VST3_ViewInterface::getSize(Steinberg::ViewRect* Rect)
SHM does have shared pixmaps. Using xcb_copy_area().
Failed to create xcb pixmap: BadDrawable
... (continues saying BadDrawable)

Hi abique,

thanks for your work!
I did a few tests with the -6857:

tracktion 7 and waveform: repro and zebra have gui, vst2 and vst3 are working!
The gui gets unresponsiv for 2-3 seconds on mouse actions from time to time.
Mostley noticeable in the browser. Happens not when using cursor keys.

in qtractor - no gui

in reaper 571pre6:

no gui with vst2
vst3 freezes the hole computer, wow!

Hope this helps in any way.

specs: opensuse leap 42.3, nvidia graphic card with proprietary driver, audio: focusrite saffire le Firewire over ffado driver

ejgallego wrote:
abique wrote:Note, for both Ardour and BitWig I've tried VST2 only.
BTW, is Ardour even capable of using VST3 plugins? The version of Ardour I am using (5.12 on Fedora 27/PlanetCCRMA) seems to only use VST2 plugins. If it can run VST3 plugins somehow I'd appreciate any hints on how to do it.

abique wrote:Hi guys :)

Happy new year! :)

So here is the lastest build:

http://uhedownloads.heckmannaudiogmb.ne ... 857.tar.gz
http://uhedownloads.heckmannaudiogmb.ne ... 857.tar.gz
and so on... ;-)

Those builds are dynamically linked.
May I ask that you please update the script in the first post in this thread, like you used to do @abique? New users will very likely use that script to download the plugins, and this post here on page 85 has already drowned.

I'll wait a bit more, until I consider those builds more "ready".

abique wrote:I'll wait a bit more, until I consider those builds more "ready".
What about Diva Build 5541 ?
That is the latest build but you will never find it unless someone tells you it exists and where it is..

/Anders

repro-5 is amazing!

Subarumannen wrote:
That is the latest build but you will never find it unless someone tells you it exists and where it is..

/Anders
I'll update the builds once I'll consider them ready :)

abique wrote:
Subarumannen wrote:

/Anders
I'll update the builds once I'll consider them ready :)
Of course. But how will you come to the conclusion that builds are ready if the builds people will find are old ones. Diva build 5541has been out for moths but very few people will find it unless they ask for latest builds in this thread. I did not know about ZebraHZ for Linux before I asked in this thread about it. Then I quickly purchased it and was amazed. I have sometimes had the idea to host the Beta first page outside this thread to make it easy for people to find the latest builds for Linux but it feels awkward to go that route. In my book, the latest betas are the ones we are expected to try and give feedback on. What do you mean by “Builds are ready”.

Do you mean that all Builds are considered experimental until they finally go perpetual Betas (since U-he doesn’t support Linux officially)
And all Perpetual Betas can be found where? This threads first post doesn’t seem to be that place unfortunately.

I am trying to give my point of view and since a lot of others seem to agree that this could be improved by just decide once and for all where users could go for Betas or experimental builds, we would not have to browse endless multiple threads to find the latest or ask all the time.

Some other projects have Stable and nighties or similar approach, maybe a consideration?

The existing distribution point (uhedownload.heckmannaudiogmb.net) where everything physically resides would be a good place but it is not up to date afaik.

Sorry if this is received as a complaint. It is not my intention and I only trying to help you Abique and U-he and all participants that are enjoying the U-he stuff that is amazing.

Best regards, Anders

(Also it would be nice if older builds could stay up for people that can not run some of the new dynamic builds that requires them to change their OS or distribution to match a specific version of a library needed)

I will try to find a solution next week with the rest of the u-he team.

abique wrote:I will try to find a solution next week with the rest of the u-he team.
:tu:

abique wrote:I will try to find a solution next week with the rest of the u-he team.
Thanks abique.

Something that would be very helpful for those of use willing to rely on Repro-5 for actual performance is to do a final release with the old UI paradigm [even if the preset browser is bugged too] and re-start UI refactoring from that one. Juce is still using a thread, so the timing issues do seem tricky under X11 I guess.

Now, with the old build I get the ultra annoying [your preset was done with a much newer plugin version] which is a PITA.

Greetings !

I finally got around to installing and testing the builds for Repro and Zebra2 6857. So far I've run them only in Bitwig Studio 2.2.3.

GUIs appear completely but I haven't tried resizing. Incidentally the Massive Modular skin for Zebra seems to work better than the stock GUI.

All controls work but at first their response is very sluggish. However, after a control responds its movement is smooth and precise. Alas, it may or may not stay that way after playing with other controls, i.e. it might get sluggish again.

Presets load okay and sound terrific.

For production work I'd probably go back to the earlier stable versions (Repro1 and Zebra2, that is) but you are making progress. :)

I'll keep at 'em throughout the next few days.

As always, massive thanks to abique and the u-he team for such incredible music software.

Best,

dp

Oh, I also got around to installing Diva 5541, I've had the zipfile for a while.

It sounds so beautiful but you all already know that. Working well here so far in BWS 2.2.3.

Best,

dp

Has anyone tried the latest builds on Ubuntu 17.04 or 17.10? Previously we had this error with menus not appearing in any Ubuntu after 16.04. Has this been rectified?

Return to “u-he”