Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Agreed but Repro-1 came out not long ago and the Linux binary is on the main U-he Repro-1 download page so that makes it kind of "official" and not something you need to search KVR threads to find.

I hope that too many linux users already pulled the trigger so the customer share is large enough to sustain.

From the engagement from Urs himself I think and hope they will continue the Linux friendly path in the best possible way and if that means Abique or some other people helping out, maybe does not matter.

I have been very happy with the current latest binaries so I do not see a real problem here except for the GUI drop down issues that could need some work to iron out.

It may seem quiet, but a lot of forum traffic is problem driven,
and there have been few problems. But I suspect that
linux using musicians as a whole, remain unassimilated,
to the value of these commercial masterpieces. I have
Zebra2, Hive, ACE, and the free TyrellN6, TripleCheese,
and Podolski, and the range of sounds makes it nearly
impossible to NOT make enjoyable music. Pick out
a sequence, a pad, a pluck, a bass, and some
keyboard sound for punch, throw on a nice effects chain,
it's like being a squirrel trapped in a nut-processing facility :party:

glokraw wrote:...it's like being a squirrel trapped in a nut-processing facility...
aka "a hog in the fat-house." :party: :party:

glokraw wrote:It may seem quiet, but a lot of forum traffic is problem driven,
and there have been few problems.
True but the thing is, there is a problem now - there's no popup menus when ran in Ubuntu 17.04. And usually Alexandre pops up pretty quick when problems are described here.

Addendum: I also tried the Glitch2 VST today and that too has pop-up menus intact, so there's something particular to how the menus in the U-he plugins, and not a general issue with VSTs.

Beamboom wrote:The last plugin update was now more than a year ago, April 2016.
There have been newer releases for Linux thou if you look in the individual plugins threads (Diva, Repro) so IMHO it looks OK.

However, Linux support is essential to me, so I'd like to hear some comforting words from U-HE before spending 300€ .

Subarumannen wrote:Agreed but Repro-1 came out not long ago and the Linux binary is on the main U-he Repro-1 download page so that makes it kind of "official" and not something you need to search KVR threads to find.
Sorry, but quoting U-HE webpage: http://www.u-he.com/cms/faqs#which-oper ... ts-support
We currently do not officially support Linux or any other platforms.
So indeed what they have written seems very clear to me and I wouldn't feel compelled to ask for a refund or complain if they would drop Linux support the day after I bought a plugin.

Mint 18 isn't too far removed from ubuntu, no menu issues here,
nor in rpm based pclinuxos. Linux audio has always prompted people to change
to what works. I would certainly consider various gui systems, or even
a different distro. I use Enlightenment 21 in Mint, and pclinuxos,
installed from their ppa, and an older pci-express video card.
Bodhi linux is a CD size barebones debian
system that uses a derivative of Enlightenment, Moksha. Might be worth running
some live sessions to test the menu issue outside of ubuntu.
Or test using the bulging at the seams avlinux dvd, with xfce interface default.
Cheers

Linux is the place everyone will run to at some point. :hihi:

lunardigs wrote:Linux is the place everyone will run to at some point. :hihi:
That would be great! With the new sdk vst to linux, I'm crossing my fingers for new plugins puting out linux versions on a regular basis! Switch from windoze and apple is welcome.
Any plugins to your knowledge has started shipping the new sdk?
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

glokraw wrote:Mint 18 isn't too far removed from ubuntu, no menu issues here,
nor in rpm based pclinuxos. Linux audio has always prompted people to change
to what works. I would certainly consider various gui systems, or even
a different distro.
I don't know too well how the GUI aspects of Linux works (from a technical point of view), but changing the window managers just for this appears for me to be a bit counter-productive. Especially since, as I noted, my other 3rd party VSTs (Pianoteq and Glitch2) do work like always. As far as I have been able to determine it seems this only affect the U-He plugins. And that leads me to think that there's just a minor error in these ports, in regards to how the UI is handled.

My user interface is Gnome-shell.

wrt the menu issue (that I also have) it appears that u-he plugins directly talk to X; so indeed that is tricky business...

Beamboom wrote: but changing the window managers just for this appears for me to be a bit counter-productive.
My user interface is Gnome-shell.
Any good login manager lets you run whatever gui-manger you like,
on a one-time basis, with an option to make default, so there is no huge issue
trying and using others.

I would also suggest the availability of U-he linux synths will be
a gamechanger for some people fed up with win-10, or the price of
the latest mac in the recycle chain. One of the competition is also
delving into linux, I think at the hardware level, so the
pioneering efforts of a few, lead to others joining the fray.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:Any good login manager lets you run whatever gui-manger you like, on a one-time basis, with an option to make default, so there is no huge issue trying and using others.
It's possibly a workaround for the time being but from a wider perspective Gnome-Shell is one of the - if not THE - most common interface in use, and with Ubuntu changing to use it as the default from next version on it will be even more so.
glokraw wrote:I would also suggest the availability of U-he linux synths will be a gamechanger for some people fed up with win-10, or the price of the latest mac in the recycle chain. One of the competition is also
delving into linux, I think at the hardware level, so the pioneering efforts of a few, lead to others joining the fray.
... I agree, but then their plugins should at least work on the most common GUIs on Linux. If a new Linux desktop user enters the world of Linux with an advice of "oh if it doesn't work, install another user interface if you're gonna do that particular task" they will scream and return to whatever OS they came from. :D

But bottom line is: Other VSTs work as normal without upgrading them. Ergo, so should the U-He plugins. I'm pretty sure it's a minor thing.

It has been documented why U-he plugins behave like this and also a suggestion that U-he plugins would bundle the needed lib and not rely on the system lib which might be right or wrong for the plugin. X42 aka R Gareus gave his advice on this earlier in this thread I believe and he has written many open source plugins and GUIs and deal with this on a daily basis as one of the lead developers for Ardour and Mixbus. I believe his advice is the best way to solve this for current and former window managers and distribution quirks.

Beamboom wrote:
glokraw wrote:Any good login manager lets you run whatever gui-manger you like, on a one-time basis, with an option to make default, so there is no huge issue trying and using others.
It's possibly a workaround for the time being but from a wider perspective Gnome-Shell is one of the - if not THE - most common interface in use, and with Ubuntu changing to use it as the default from next version on it will be even more so.
glokraw wrote:I would also suggest the availability of U-he linux synths will be a gamechanger for some people fed up with win-10, or the price of the latest mac in the recycle chain. One of the competition is also
delving into linux, I think at the hardware level, so the pioneering efforts of a few, lead to others joining the fray.
... I agree, but then their plugins should at least work on the most common GUIs on Linux. If a new Linux desktop user enters the world of Linux with an advice of "oh if it doesn't work, install another user interface if you're gonna do that particular task" they will scream and return to whatever OS they came from. :D

But bottom line is: Other VSTs work as normal without upgrading them. Ergo, so should the U-He plugins. I'm pretty sure it's a minor thing.
You make a rather broad assertion that Gnome and Ubuntu teams can't
screw things up sometimes. And an audio recording session is not
some minimalist utility, but a highly specialized session, that win/mac users go to
the ends of both earth and wallet to achieve, so logging into a secondary
window manager in such a pursuit is trivial in comparison, as are aquiring
good video and sound cards, rather than mobo chips. The world is full of people
with $5000 cars who won't spend $500 on their 'studio',
and then wonder why they have mixed results.

U-he plugins are the worlds best, after all. Lots of nice inexpensive wines out there,
for those in the market, but the sublime comes with a higher price.

X42 is indeed a prolific coder, and if bundling a library would
solve this issue for some people, all the better. The reaper team bundle
libswell in their linux install tarball, to aid ease of installation/use,
so it's not a foreign concept.
Keeping in mind that the U-he plugins are closed source, and there
are reasons why things are done as they are.
Cheers

Return to “u-he”