Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Benutzername wrote:16.4 is the latest stable Ubuntu version and 18.4 will be the next stable version.

The in between versions 16.10, 17.4 and 17.10 are clearly marked as unstable and volatile. They are targeted at adventurous users who want to experiment with the latest features and functions. Usually this is no problem but sometimes experiments just don't turn out well.

If u-he supports 18.4 then all will be good.
Well actually Ubuntu Studio "clearly marks" 17.04 as the "regular version", not the unstable version, but that's neither here nor there. From what I've gleaned from the discussion here, the issue with the nav windows doesn't appear to be a glitch with Ubuntu per se, but a problem arising from the way the plugins are coded to interact with X, so it's not clear that the problem is caused by any instability on the part of Ubuntu.

As far as I'm aware, u-he isn't exactly supporting Linux, which is why I was asking whether it was likely to be an issue the devs will address presuming that whatever is causing the problem persists in later version of Ubuntu.

First of all, thank you so much for porting these synthesizers to Linux.

I recently switched from OSX to Linux to make abstract visuals (Houdini/RenderMan) and I needed something simple to add synthesized effects and score. I downloaded Reaper and Bazille and nearly had an ear orgasm all over my keyboard. I can't believe how good this thing sounds.

More to the point, I wanted to mention that I am running a nightly build of Ubuntu 17.10 and unfortunately the GUI menus don't seem to work in either GNOME or Xfce4. I tried running the aforementioned script as well, it didn't seem to do anything.

I'm going to hang in there and try to learn Zebralette without being able to change some of the options but if there is anything I can do to help please let me know. I have some C coding experience or I could just QA. I love this Reaper/U-he combination setup so anything I can do to improve it is ok with me.

P.S. One workaround for the lack of mouse-clicks working everywhere is using the mouse wheel instead. In this manner I am able to change FX1 and FX2 in Zebralette.

Hey xxyxxy, this is the issue we were just discussing, too.

Unfortunately it seems like the only known solution, if you want to stick with Ubuntu, is to switch to 16.04.

As far as I know, this issue doesn't appear to be affecting other Debian-based distros, such as Mint or Debian, which you could also try. I had no issues with the plugins on Debian stable, but that might not be as bleeding-edge as you're aiming for.

Hi all,
I bought Bazille with the Bitwig promotion, I installed it from here, but it doesn't appear in Bitwig and appears as desactivated in Waveform. How can I make it work ?
Thanks!

I only have the Bazille demo but it runs fine in Waveform8 here.
Devogenes wrote:Well actually Ubuntu Studio "clearly marks" 17.04 as the "regular version", not the unstable version, but that's neither here nor there. From what I've gleaned from the discussion here, the issue with the nav windows doesn't appear to be a glitch with Ubuntu per se, but a problem arising from the way the plugins are coded to interact with X, so it's not clear that the problem is caused by any instability on the part of Ubuntu.
This was exactly what I was referring to. Ubuntu currently migrates from Unity to Gnome and from X to Wayland. These are very hard transitions so you have to expect problems along the way. Additionally the APIs may currently change at any time so companies will have to adjust the GUI code over and over again. No one will do that for a OS version that is only supported nine months at best (like 17.4 or 17.10).

If you want something stable then you should use a LTS version. Just add PPAs when you need more current versions of your main programs.

Sad to hear Ubuntu 17.10 is still broken :S

Man! Now I wish I has a Linux machine, setup! Great to hear Uhe, making Linux versions :D

Just wanted to say, I've been testin out RePro, Hive and Diva on an AntiX (Debian) desktop (RT kernel). REALLY nice stuff! CPU in "Divine" mode, playing chords-- maximum CPU about 30%. (My pc is about 5 years old, btw)

I wanted to ask: where is the linux version of Dark Zebra located? I can't find any links....

Thanks in advance!

brian
Tired of Windows? Linux offers hundreds of good distros. For more info:
DistroWatch
Some good synths for linux: www.linuxsynths.com

briandc, when you purchase it, they'll give you a link. At least this is what happened when I bought it. I don't believe there's a demo they've made available. Although, you could certainly email them to find out.

Gamma settings doesnt work?? anyone?

Hi everyone.

I wanted to share my recent experience with the context menu bug in case the knowledge is useful to someone.

I sent my laptop back to the factory for warranty repairs and went back to an older machine. On this older machine I could not get the context menus to work at all - even in 16.04, even with Ubuntu MATE, Elementary OS, KDE and so on. Every time I would click one the plugin would crash (in Bitwig).

I was irritated so kept trying different things - one time, I installed xfce on an installation of Ubuntu Mate. I logged back in and opened Bitwig and the context menus in Zebra worked. Great! I tried installing Xubuntu 16.04 on the machine (the xfce based Ubuntu distribution) and opened Zebra in Bitwig and it crashed. Very confusing.

I went back to the old method (xfce on Ubuntu MATE) and it didn't work this time because I had enabled Compiz Window Manager in MATE. I switched back to Marco (the default window manager) and context menus started working again in Zebra - so this was a clue that the window manager is causing the context menu problems.

So, because I like MATE, I told MATE to use xfwm4 (XFCE's window manager) following the tutorial here: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/using-x ... -mate/8587

So to summarise - the problem with the context menus is not straightforward - and what works for one person doesn't seem to work for everyone. However, if you are having problems you might want to try a different window manager, for example xfwm4.

Hopefully this information will be useful in developing a permanent fix to this bug.

All the best

Adrienne

... doesn't work for ACE, Bazille or Presswerk, works for Diva and Zebra

Hi U-he,
Wonderfull to finally see linux vst plugs!
I have been testing Filterscape, MFM2, TripleCheese and only one problem with all of them, there is no way to save presets, nothing happens. My system is Voidlinux x64 glibc, Openbox and Spacefm, tested under Reaper5.x for linux.
I really want to buy this plugs, however without save working I'm on hold..

biospin wrote:... been testing Filterscape, MFM2, TripleCheese and only one problem with all of them, there is no way to save presets, nothing happens.
When saving a preset, a generic X11 window should appear, titled "Save preset" (minimized on my system, so look at your task bar, because it's easy to miss).

My guess is that the U-he plugin are not too explicit about what produces the dialog box. This means your desktop-manager (KDE Plasma 5, in my case) is responsible. In which case, you're likely just missing an X11 library or some tool--that's to say no window is being produced at all here.

For troubleshooting, there's a tool called xrestop which works like the top command, for X11 processes. I was able to find the window very quickly, as it's called "Save preset".

Btw, if you're not familiar with X11, this is the defacto Linux display manager of many decades now--which is presently being transitioned to new technologies like Wayland, which is another story. X11 is being used here to create the U-he windows.

In the case of cutting-edge Linux distros (like Fedora), which has transitioned to Wayland, I'm pretty sure an X11 wrapper is taking care of legacy stuff. Although, this could be where the real issue lays for you and others in this forum. I do not run Wayland as of yet, so I cannot say from experience.

Hey Tusk,
I did a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio 16.04 and the context menus are working fine for me in Hive, Ace, Zebra2, Triple Cheese and Podolski. I'm sticking to LTS distros from now on!
No Such Error | nosucherror.com

Return to “u-he”