The Hive Hexagon Thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Shiek927 wrote:
Sleepwalker wrote:
lectrixboogaloo wrote:OH! it should be a osc designer in the style of the mappers in ace and bazille. nothing else, just for osc shapes. 2 of them. that's it! maybe an interpolate and don't option. all done! oh, no, maybe choose between shape and additive. then all done.

i say this because i think it is a good idea but also because i think hive does truely suffer some/sorely from the limited source material (not much osc choices, ik super this and that was the main idea but with extended osc material it could cover much more ground and still be on topic?)
Sort of agree. More osc variations are my nr.1 wish.. A nice big view of morphable wavetable stuff like Virus or Serum etc would be great.
I made similar requests before earlier this thread. Limited wavetable-esque abilities like Reveal Sound Spire's "morph" parameter. It wouldn't be 'true" wavetable, but a simple parameter that would let you bend and morph waveforms would open up lots of new tonal possibilities :). Another example could be Omnisphere and the "syne/saw" waveform and more.

An X/Y parameter like Omnisphere also is a recurring and good choice :).

It would also help with digital styles like Dubstep, which Hive is still pretty unfit for. Taking cues from other contemporary synths would make for good inspiration :).
Sorry for double post! haven't posted on this website in an extremely long time, and it's not familiar to me :dog: :lol:

Shiek927 wrote:I made similar requests before earlier this thread. Limited wavetable-esque abilities like Reveal Sound Spire's "morph" parameter. It wouldn't be 'true" wavetable, but a simple parameter that would let you bend and morph waveforms would open up lots of new tonal possibilities :). Another example could be Omnisphere and the "syne/saw" waveform and more.

An X/Y parameter like Omnisphere also has is a recurring and good choice :).

It would also help with digital styles like Dubstep, which Hive is still pretty unfit for. Taking cues from other contemporary synths would make for good inspiration :).
Cool. Yeah, it's what would push me over to purchasing it. I already have Diva and Ace and I don't think Hive adds much more soundvice. I have a Virus Polar that I use less and less because of the vst interface being spread out on multiple pages, it f**ks with my short attention span and I forget quickly what i'm doing while programing, so ends up usually clicking through and tweaking presets.

Hive is attractive because of everything is one page and very simple to map. Works wonders with my chaotic brain. However I need more sound variations to feel it's worth the asking price to me personally compared to what I already have.

Sleepwalker wrote:
Shiek927 wrote:I made similar requests before earlier this thread. Limited wavetable-esque abilities like Reveal Sound Spire's "morph" parameter. It wouldn't be 'true" wavetable, but a simple parameter that would let you bend and morph waveforms would open up lots of new tonal possibilities :). Another example could be Omnisphere and the "syne/saw" waveform and more.

Cool. Yeah, it's what would push me over to purchasing it. I already have Diva and Ace and I don't think Hive adds much more soundvice. I have a Virus Polar that I use less and less because of the vst interface being spread out on multiple pages, it f**ks with my short attention span and I forget quickly what i'm doing while programing, so ends up usually clicking through and tweaking presets.

Hive is attractive because of everything is one page and very simple to map. Works wonders with my chaotic brain. However I need more sound variations to feel it's worth the asking price to me personally compared to what I already have.
Oh, I'd absolutely recommend Hive. Diva is the best sounding soft-synth around, but it's vintage sound may not be what you want. Hive may not be the best choice for Dubstep, Complextro, and digital styles of EDM. But by and large, for most genres which need a solid substractive synth, this makes for a great bread n butter synth. It's not the best choice for a few genres, but it's good for most anything. It's CPU frendliness and punchy modern '90's rompler' type sound is one that I really adore ^^.

Urs wrote:What do you guys think? Is the hexagon utterly important for Hive's identity or shall we drop it if it allows us to better implement new features?
Drop it. Whatever you'll come up with instead surely will not be less pretty.

Urs wrote:What do you guys think? Is the hexagon utterly important for Hive's identity or shall we drop it if it allows us to better implement new features?
I see no reason to try and force an idea just because it originally was an idea. Likely that's not going to yeild the best result.
At the end of the day Hive is a synth - a tool. It fitting some "thematic" concept, which is largely just a visual thing, is utterly unimportant, at least to me. :)

If you feel it's better to drop it, then drop it. It's your vision and I certainly have no reason to doubt what you're doing. :)
I make music like I play Tekken; randomly push buttons and hope for something good to happen.

Drop it or.... Change the shape :hihi:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

nobody will miss the hexagon
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Hive was an instant buy. Besides soundwise I felt it was the most appealing UI of all u-he products. A cool modern look fitting the sound! I would really miss the Hexagon :scared:

Get rid of it...

Hexa be gon

If you need to, get rid of it.

all the cool kids are into heptagons now

Shiek927 wrote:
Sleepwalker wrote:
lectrixboogaloo wrote:OH! it should be a osc designer in the style of the mappers in ace and bazille. nothing else, just for osc shapes. 2 of them. that's it! maybe an interpolate and don't option. all done! oh, no, maybe choose between shape and additive. then all done.

i say this because i think it is a good idea but also because i think hive does truely suffer some/sorely from the limited source material (not much osc choices, ik super this and that was the main idea but with extended osc material it could cover much more ground and still be on topic?)
Sort of agree. More osc variations are my nr.1 wish.. A nice big view of morphable wavetable stuff like Virus or Serum etc would be great.
I made similar requests before earlier this thread. Limited wavetable-esque abilities like Reveal Sound Spire's "morph" parameter. It wouldn't be 'true" wavetable, but a simple parameter that would let you bend and morph waveforms would open up lots of new tonal possibilities :). Another example could be Omnisphere and the "syne/saw" waveform and more.

yes "a simple parameter that would let you bend and morph waveforms" or however it is done would be icing, for sure. for dubstep reasons, cool. or, redoing all those other sounds you could get out of hybrid and va hardware.

just saying, not that my opinion matters, but, it might have came off a bit stronger than i meant it when i said 'suffered'. maybe i just have a kink for digital, wave-folded, and certainly nasal/throat and so on etc sounds into a pretty filter. hive is great, flexible and worthy of collecting and using as it stands now.

Hex'a gone :)

Its alrite but its not something I think would be missed that much either. Sure, replace it if have better ideas.!

It's funny, but I honestly always envisioned a total redesign of the UI in my mind when I thought about a future version of Hive. It's a cool aesthetic, but the current design is already completely filled out. It would need a change in order to fit in any new features or it would have to abandon the 'single-screen' philosophy that it has, which doesn't bother me at all.

Not at all, LectrixBooagloo! it's a completely valid critique because Hive is marketed as a dance synth. Dubstep and so many dance styles that have been very popular for the last 5-6 years are very digital and synonymous with NI Massive. As a big fat subtractive synth, Hive can cover *most* genres, but it just doesn't have what it takes to cover everything. Which is why Spire, Serum, and other contemporary synths would be good inspirations. Especially Spire since it's mostly a subtractive synth, but also has FM, the limited wavetable 'bending' I was talking about, and more :).

Return to “u-he”