The Hive Hexagon Thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Nope. I don't see any posts by that other pesky Craftmatix with the tiny screen from universe 1427 rev C... :?: :?: :?:

CRAFTMATIX wrote:Nope. I don't see any posts by that other pesky Craftmatix with the tiny screen from universe 1427 rev C... :?: :?: :?:
Because I fixed it... someone used wrong forum quote hierarchy...

Urs wrote:
CRAFTMATIX wrote:Nope. I don't see any posts by that other pesky Craftmatix with the tiny screen from universe 1427 rev C... :?: :?: :?:
Because I fixed it... someone used wrong forum quote hierarchy...
Yeah, I tried to cut the first quote out for space but messed up. Thanks for fixing it!

I haven't been following this thread very closely, so forgive me if this topic has already been discussed. I think I would like to see "Constant" become available as a modulation source within the CC selector, even though it's not an actual MIDI CC.

Weird things happen when you try to use a control signal assigned to the CC row for other modulation targets. I know the manual suggests selecting controllers you rarely use (obviously because of this), but if a Constant source was available, we could avoid the weirdness altogether. :)

*snip*

(was talking about wrong plug-in... need more coffee)

Hive and Dune2 have become my goto's. I just instantly open Hive and start playing it and am enthralled. The envelopes and the juice in these filters... just wow. The pliability. It's addictive. It took me quite a while to come around to these types of instruments but I'm getting addicted. I have 4 additions that could be very useful for Hive.

1: I want the color morphing ability of Diva. I want it bad.

2: A third Hex would include two more envelopes with extra stages that could modulate each other and the stages of the other envelopes.

3: and I want this real bad too, I want a 3 pole resonate filter like in the Modal 008. I've become addicted to the three pole filter.

edit: 4: I want extra types of constants like waldorf has since the constants are so important to Hive.

Dasheesh wrote:Hive and Dune2 have become my goto's. I just instantly open Hive and start playing it and am enthralled. The envelopes and the juice in these filters... just wow. The pliability. It's addictive. It took me quite a while to come around to these types of instruments but I'm getting addicted.
I have 4 additions that could be very useful for Hive.

1: I want the color morphing ability of Diva. I want it bad.
For the whole interface? :shock:
2: A third Hex would include two more envelopes with extra stages that could modulate each other and the stages of the other envelopes.
Hehehe, that would be a bit like smuggeling more functionality in at the expense of tabbing. In retrospect, the idea of a third tab in the Hexagon was always about something that is "on top" of the voice architecture, not inside of it. Stuff that is a meta level (such as preset morphing whatsoever) rather than additional modules.
3: and I want this real bad too, I want a 3 pole resonate filter like in the Modal 008. I've become addicted to the three pole filter.
I can understand that... does it have to be per voice, or would a global resonator do, e.g. in the effects section...?
edit: 4: I want extra types of constants like waldorf has since the constants are so important to Hive.
Can you give an example... I mean, what would you do with them and why?

#-----

That said, I'm slowly giving up my resentment towards vector synthesis, which I have had for 30 years - or maybe ever since the the sound of the Kawai K1 deceived me before I noted its absence of any noteworthy sound shaping ability. Depending on how the concepts for a new skin pan out, I might throw that in as an option. It would solve both issues, the missing hexagon and our promise for more waveforms.

1: Color morphing only! Diva has some brilliant and beautiful LED colors available that make a huge difference. multi colored themes in Dune2 are for keeping track of which instance you are working on. It's useful. I hear you guys have a much more complete version of the GUI in the works that I am very excited for though!

2: I hadn't considered preset morphing in Hive until you mentioned it and a cold chill went down my back. HIVE was MADE for preset morphing buddy. May I suggest that you set up the XY pad for preset morphing? That would be AWESOME!

3: In thinking about this more I think I would rather have a ONE pole filter. I could then utilize a ONE pole or set the filters in series to achieve a THREE pole as long as I could modulate both cut offs together (VIA LINK).

4: These are the constants available for the Blofeld,

+ Returns the sum of Source A and Source B.

- Returns the difference of Source A and Source B.

* Returns the product of Source A and Source B.

AND Returns the binary "and“ operation of Source A and Source B.

OR Returns the binary "or“ operation of Source and Source B.

XOR Returns the binary exclusive- "or“ operation of Source A and Source B.

MIN Returns the minimum value of either Source A or Source B. If Source A is smaller than Source B, the value of Source A is returned and vice versa.

MAX Returns the maximum value of either Source A or Source B. If Source A is greater than Source B, the value of Source A is returned and vice versa.

Constant 0...127 Defines a value for modifier functions that require a constant parameter. See the Operation parameter described above for further details.

A XY parameter for Hive is actually quite an old request haha. But vector synthesis like the Prophet VS or Korg Wavestation would be a natural fit for Hive. The center hexagon can be one giant modulable XY parameter that you can use for expression and vastly increase the amount of tones you can create.

Shiek927 wrote:A XY parameter for Hive is actually quite an old request haha. But vector synthesis like the Prophet VS or Korg Wavestation would be a natural fit for Hive. The center hexagon can be one giant modulable XY parameter that you can use for expression and vastly increase the amount of tones you can create.

well, if Hive's oscillators morphed from one wave shape to the next... yes, but Hives osc. are fixed so I don't know how that would work TBH.

Dasheesh wrote:
Shiek927 wrote:A XY parameter for Hive is actually quite an old request haha. But vector synthesis like the Prophet VS or Korg Wavestation would be a natural fit for Hive. The center hexagon can be one giant modulable XY parameter that you can use for expression and vastly increase the amount of tones you can create.

well, if Hive's oscillators morphed from one wave shape to the next... yes, but Hives osc. are fixed so I don't know how that would work TBH.
I think maybe a streamlined version of Zebra's oscillator wouldn't be the worst thing... or morphable single cycle waveforms.

Well, I've suggested pulse width on all of the wave forms before. I think you could get away with that. The idea behind Hive is keep it as streamlined as possible though. Urs may not be into it.

Which is fair enough, I didn't get Hive to have access to all features in the world. It's a really nice synth to quickly dial in all those sounds that don't require endless synthesis options (which, in context of a track, can be quite a few!). Happy user as it is :)

Although I guess one unique feature would be a good idea. Maybe one or two parameters that directly affect the waveform, like Diversion's oscillator effects or the Make noise shape and angle functions on the DPO. That seems simple enough from a user perspective.

Oh, and I would never disagree with more filter types. :)

More complex waveforms would be very welcome. Pulse width mod on all waveforms would be great but definitely FM and Sync too.
Personally I'd love to see wavetable synthesis but really, just more complex waveforms would be great.

More filter types - yes please.

In the Sequencer I think it would be helpful if one could click and drag to quickly change values like with CC and velocity values. It would make it easier to dial in tunes.

Soarer wrote:Pulse width mod on all waveforms would be great ...
Isn't that only a thing with squarish waves? What would Nick Batt tell about that?

:hihi: :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCHD-6mNuOE
Last edited by llze on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “u-he”