Survey comment

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Subscription and cloud are not bad things at all as long as they are entirely optional and not mandatory.

That's the main problem that people have with Adobe. Most humans don't like to get blackmailed.
clangorous wrote:Can you imagine? U-he hardware would be awesome.
uherorack modules ftw :tu:

Benutzername wrote:uherorack modules ftw :tu:
I would like that a lot.

Urs wrote:
silhouette1 wrote:I have to say that the Subscription service choice was a bit worrying to me.
A few days ago a guy behind a subscription based service said to me, (half?) jokingly "you'll go out of business". I need a reality check on this.

I'm confident it'll come out in our favour (against subscription).

We're not even talking "rent-to-own"... we're talking cloud crap.
pdxindy wrote:If all the software I like to use went subscription... then I would go all hardware.
If the whole software world ends up based on subscription, u-he will become a hardware company.
Thank you or the reassurance. I put money in your hands because I value the work you do. I have bought everything you have produced because I like/want it. I also use a lot of the Plugin Alliance stuff and they were floating the subscription idea - they have some stuff I am not interested in - why would I pay for stuff I.m not using. What is great about u-he is the consistency of the product. You always seem to find something that I did not know I wanted.

Benutzername wrote:Subscription and cloud are not bad things at all as long as they are entirely optional and not mandatory.

That's the main problem that people have with Adobe. Most humans don't like to get blackmailed.
clangorous wrote:Can you imagine? U-he hardware would be awesome.
uherorack modules ftw :tu:
I would be surprised if he isn't already trying to figure out EuroUHe modules ... :borg: :o :D

I mean he's clearly addicted now (predictably :lol: ) and he's seen mutable instruments and such, Phonogene etc.. He monkeyed around with that hardware controller. He knows resistance is futile.

EDIT: I just need to bring him over from the dark side to the MU/5U side
Last edited by SJ_Digriz on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Urs wrote:
pdxindy wrote:If all the software I like to use went subscription... then I would go all hardware.
If the whole software world ends up based on subscription, u-he will become a hardware company.
In that case I look forward to purchasing your hardware products! :tu:

Subscription services need to rethink the way they treat long term customers. The only sub I have right now is Slate because it's incredibly good value, but even that I'm considering stopping soon as it adds up over the years.

I foresee a future where discounts on subscriptions are offered based on the amount of time you pay, otherwise it's an unsustainable business model across the entire industry. People won't pay out hundreds of currencies a month to keep their DAW's up and running.

I'm two years (and $360) into Slate right now, and if I kept it for 5 years then I'd be $900 in. Arguably, they've had their money out of me, even though they kept up their end of the bargain by adding lots of good new stuff.

Either that, or offer massive, substantial discounts on buying a licence outright.

tehlord wrote:Subscription services need to rethink the way they treat long term customers. The only sub I have right now is Slate because it's incredibly good value, but even that I'm considering stopping soon as it adds up over the years.

I foresee a future where discounts on subscriptions are offered based on the amount of time you pay, otherwise it's an unsustainable business model across the entire industry. People won't pay out hundreds of currencies a month to keep their DAW's up and running.

I'm two years (and $360) into Slate right now, and if I kept it for 5 years then I'd be $900 in. Arguably, they've had their money out of me, even though they kept up their end of the bargain by adding lots of good new stuff.

Either that, or offer massive, substantial discounts on buying a licence outright.
Take the example of Adobe... quite few of their products are mature enough that for many people, there is no need to upgrade to a new version. There is a point of diminishing returns. A tool is useful and complete (enough). I do not need to have regular updates to a hammer. It is sufficient as is.

I did a lot of 'high-end' photoshop work for years. I only upgraded every 2-3 updates. Sometimes that was only to maintain compatibility with clients and collaborators.

So a company gets big because they have a good product and sell lots of it. But then the rate of growth slows, and instead of accepting that and adjusting their size/expectation accordingly, the company looks for ways to squeeze money out of people.

The subscription model is a way to force people to upgrade each time whether they want/need to or not.

Urs wrote:I still hope for it to happen, but I don't feel like ordering my employees to do something their not into right now. It'll come back.
This guy gets leadership on so many levels. THAT is f**king confidence in one's ability to lead.

Much respect Urs!

pdxindy wrote:
tehlord wrote:Subscription services need to rethink the way they treat long term customers. The only sub I have right now is Slate because it's incredibly good value, but even that I'm considering stopping soon as it adds up over the years.

Take the example of Adobe... quite few of their products are mature enough that for many people, there is no need to upgrade to a new version. There is a point of diminishing returns. A tool is useful and complete (enough). I do not need to have regular updates to a hammer. It is sufficient as is.

I did a lot of 'high-end' photoshop work for years. I only upgraded every 2-3 updates. Sometimes that was only to maintain compatibility with clients and collaborators.

So a company gets big because they have a good product and sell lots of it. But then the rate of growth slows, and instead of accepting that and adjusting their size/expectation accordingly, the company looks for ways to squeeze money out of people.

The subscription model is a way to force people to upgrade each time whether they want/need to or not.
I think Adobe's entire business model works because there is still so little real competition. They do it because they can get away with it. The same cannot be said of most audio applications.

I do like the look of the Affinity apps, but that's limited to Photoshop and Illustrator alternatives for now. If they managed to code alternatives to Premiere and After Effects too......

pdxindy wrote: Sometimes that was only to maintain compatibility with clients and collaborators.
This is the conundrum that devs find themselves in these days. How do you support the rapid platform obsolescence in conjunction with the emerging technologies? It is increasingly difficult to be a one man shop. But, people want to pay for a one man shop. Code of any complexity is an absolute bitch to keep modern and take advantage of new gpu and cpu capabilities ... not even bringing OS capabilities into the discussion. Believe it or not, subscriptions aren't some evil thing made only to hold you upside down by your ankles to get every last coin out of your pockets. Adobe aside, there are subscriptions that make sense.

You even sat in your sentence that your "feature needs" haven't changed, however you need to work with collaborators with a different version ... That is a contradiction. Working with another version IS a feature.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

tehlord wrote:I do like the look of the Affinity apps, but that's limited to Photoshop and Illustrator alternatives for now. If they managed to code alternatives to Premiere and After Effects too......
They don't have to.
Check out Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ciresolve/
Beats old crappy Premiere by a league in my book.

After Effects is harder, but there is Fusion for serious compositing:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/
And Hitfilm as an allrounder:
http://hitfilm.com/
They even advertise with not being a subscription.

In the long run, it should do the market actually some good that Adobe locked itself into such an unflexible model. Before, Photoshop was a complete monopoly. Now it's at least breaking away from the bottom up.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

tehlord wrote:
I think Adobe's entire business model works because there is still so little real competition. They do it because they can get away with it. The same cannot be said of most audio applications.

I do like the look of the Affinity apps, but that's limited to Photoshop and Illustrator alternatives for now. If they managed to code alternatives to Premiere and After Effects too......
I switched from Photoshop and Illustrator to Affinity Photo and Designer. Very happy with that choice. Looking forward to their InDesign type application.

For Premiere and After Effects, I use Final Cut Pro and Motion. Obviously those are not available on the PC, but FCP + Motion is inexpensive and an obvious choice on the Mac.

As a 20 year Adobe customer, I am happily done with them. Still using Lightroom as long as my V6 works for me. V6 is the last (and still current) version that is/was purchasable. I doubt I ever would have switched until they announced the subscription plan.

Can someone provide a link to the survey? I didn't receive an email that I can tell.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Fusion for serious compositing:
Nice, Fusion is still alive and $299 no less, I had forgotten about it, I used to use it sometimes when it was still made by Eyeon and cost $3500 per seat. Fusion was always one of the greatest compositors around and a pleasure to work with.

pekbro wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote: Fusion for serious compositing:
Nice, Fusion is still alive and $299 no less, I had forgotten about it, I used to use it sometimes when it was still made by Eyeon and cost $3500 per seat. Fusion was always one of the greatest compositors around and a pleasure to work with.
Yes, and the base version is free which can do a LOT already, same for Resolve.
Sorry for the OT, but this topic is dear to my heart :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Return to “u-he”