Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

So the multiband compressor in Serum is always on?

Urs wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:34 pm We have indeed thought about adding a multiband compressor. But dismissed it for various reasons a few years ago. Not sure if we should revisit the idea.

(I disagree with his notion that criticism on Serum is mostly due to people with ties to other companies. I think that if a developer intentionally adds controversial features, he reaps what he sows. Adding a multiband compressor whatsoever to puposefully create "bricked output" may make a single instance sound great on its own, but may for most purposes - other than genres which thrive on this - make the synth more difficult to arrange/mix.)

As Urs commented, Serum's multi-band compressor is a recreation of the much revered OTT. It is designed to sound aggressive and is a staple of the dubstep and electro genres. It is also useful in other contexts as a sound design tool if used properly. And, no, it isn't always on. There is a traditional compressor option as well and both modes can be enabled or disabled. It is up to the sound designer to make choices as to how Serum sounds and there are a wide range of possibilities. I wouldn't mind having that option available in Hive as it would broaden it's sonic capabilities.

Urs wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:34 pm We have indeed thought about adding a multiband compressor. But dismissed it for various reasons a few years ago. Not sure if we should revisit the idea.

(I disagree with his notion that criticism on Serum is mostly due to people with ties to other companies. I think that if a developer intentionally adds controversial features, he reaps what he sows. Adding a multiband compressor whatsoever to puposefully create "bricked output" may make a single instance sound great on its own, but may for most purposes - other than genres which thrive on this - make the synth more difficult to arrange/mix.)
agreed.

after some testing I decided to sell serum. hopefully I'll be able to sell it while Hive sale is still active ;)

I tested both some more and then revisited old finished projects - to check how much i used it; and i figured not so much, and when i did it was so much drenched in 3rd party plugins that most of the sound's character came post-serum anyway.
I think it's great for EDM, but it's I like how Hive works and sits in a mix better.

Then there are other developer related reasons that are perhaps out of place here. :)

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:00 pm So the multiband compressor in Serum is always on?
Not by default. And don't get me wrong. OTT has a bit of a marvel about it. It's a very clever and efficient design.

If it's not the multiband it's the distortion. In any case, as far as i gathered most of the grit from Serums edgy presets comes from the post-fx chain.

sold serum and bought Hive! now to get jiggy with wavetables.

Serums multi-band compressor gives it a sound of it's own. It actually very good for hard basses.

Serum and HIVE actually complement each other extremely well. The factory presets in Serum are rather awful and HIVE’s factory presets are wonderful ... but they are just presets. Program your own sounds to really see what each synth can do. Serum can absolutely sound gentle and lush, and you can push Hive with the right wavetables into harsh territory too.

fgimian wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 pm Serum and HIVE actually complement each other extremely well. The factory presets in Serum are rather awful and HIVE’s factory presets are wonderful ... but they are just presets. Program your own sounds to really see what each synth can do. Serum can absolutely sound gentle and lush, and you can push Hive with the right wavetables into harsh territory too.
I believe you are right. But in the end i just didn't need two wavetable synths and i preferred what Hive can do.

Ploki wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm
fgimian wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 pm Serum and HIVE actually complement each other extremely well. The factory presets in Serum are rather awful and HIVE’s factory presets are wonderful ... but they are just presets. Program your own sounds to really see what each synth can do. Serum can absolutely sound gentle and lush, and you can push Hive with the right wavetables into harsh territory too.
I believe you are right. But in the end i just didn't need two wavetable synths and i preferred what Hive can do.
The editor and manipulation tools in Serum allow you to create and edit wavetables that can be used in both synths, so that is a plus.

tony10000 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:59 pm
The editor and manipulation tools in Serum allow you to create and edit wavetables that can be used in both synths, so that is a plus.
I already have Icarus for that... but now that Serum is going to support MPE, I might purchase it. But I like the sound of Hive more than Serum and Hive supports MPE... soooo... am undecided

Biome_Digital wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:07 pm Serums multi-band compressor gives it a sound of it's own. It actually very good for hard basses.
This I what I bought serum for... I bought hive as general polysynth.. would like to get those hard fm deep punchy bass out of hive.. but this is not hives architecture or purpose... @Newloops I want to buy the Dune3 preset pack.. just saving up for it now..

surreal wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:26 pm
Biome_Digital wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:07 pm Serums multi-band compressor gives it a sound of it's own. It actually very good for hard basses.
This I what I bought serum for... I bought hive as general polysynth.. would like to get those hard fm deep punchy bass out of hive.. but this is not hives architecture or purpose... @Newloops I want to buy the Dune3 preset pack.. just saving up for it now..
Hey, thanks! By the way, not trying to plug my Hive sound bank, but you should check out the audio demo (second in player) because Hive really does do hard basses as well has Serum. In fact, there are 50 basses, many of them very hard modern basses, in the pack - https://newloops.com/collections/u-he-s ... ve-presets

And about the Dune 3 presets - use this code for an extra 10% off: 10BUY8LWQ :tu:

Biome_Digital wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:42 pm
surreal wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:26 pm
Hey, thanks! By the way, not trying to plug my Hive sound bank, but you should check out the audio demo (second in player) because Hive really does do hard basses as well has Serum. In fact, there are 50 basses, many of them very hard modern basses, in the pack - https://newloops.com/collections/u-he-s ... ve-presets

And about the Dune 3 presets - use this code for an extra 10% off: 10BUY8LWQ :tu:
Thank you very much.. I will check them both out! All the banks I bought from you has been stellar!! :phones:

So, I pulled the trigger on Hive before the sale runs out today. Very pleased. I previously bought one off those "I can do everything" synths but realized that the convoluted gui and overload off features made me not use it at all (not to speak off all these ridiculous over-processed "one finger" presets, that I have absolutely no use for).
Hive and the thought behind it is just what I need. Funnily enough it makes me more inspired to program patches and maximize/explore the features that are there. Especially when the new uhm stuff sounds so darn good!

I'll be honest tough, if I didn't know the gui was going to be remade I wouldn't have bought it. The spaceship/gaming computer from 2009 aesthetic is a bit silly, sorry ;)
I look forward to see how you streamline the workflow and all the new features in to it. Can we have a sneak peek tomorrow when the sale is over, pretty please? :)

Return to “u-he”