Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Looooove this update! :hyper:
(not a sponsored comment :D )

The important note says:

"Due to the new preset browser, it is important to install the update into the same location as the previous version, and to make sure to select all previously installed plugin formats during installation. [...] But it is crucial to not mix old and new plugin versions, "

Might be a thick question, but where should it be actually installed ? Do you mean the same plugin folder ?

BTW, thanks for the prompt Linux version !!

Cheers.

david.beholder wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:40 pm Customer approaching question ;)
Why there is no thread in Instruments? Not everybody is sitting in this sub-forum.
We'll send a newsletter tomorrow... and also make a news item for the front page.

I think in all those years I started maybe 10 threads in the Instruments forum... it feels like spamming to me when I do.

Urs wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 pmI think in all those years I started maybe 10 threads in the Instruments forum...
Quick search: Ok, 26 in total. But really, only 3 after 2012, last one April 2016, 32 months ago. The intervals seem to grow exponentially.

Maybe that's because there are some aggressively spamming folks out there and I want to avoid being like them at all cost.

Just fantastic. This was a perfect implementation. Brilliant with the dedicated looping feature and various scanning types. Loving the multi position triggering within the tables. Nice results, esp with those Rev and Cycle toggles. Seems like you thought of a good many uses for the well-thoughtout tables that are included. They sound fantastic even when the scanning is at audio rate. Great with the XY pads. I was not expecting that one! Nice with the new modifiers as well; very useful for these WT's. Thanks so very much team U-he!

Urs wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 pm We'll send a newsletter tomorrow... and also make a news item for the front page.

I think in all those years I started maybe 10 threads in the Instruments forum... it feels like spamming to me when I do.
Thinking about amount of new Dune and new Arturia threads it wouldn't be spam at all. Especially that Forum/U-he in certain minds as nerdy as philosophy library and Hive is marketed as mass appeal synth.
So I think it's totally make sense to create topics about Hive 1.2 so customers not visiting this forum would see such important news.
Murderous duck!

Yeah it's definitely not spam. It seems some people in other forums and Facebook groups I follow weren't even aware that the update is out, and that it adds a major feature like wavetables for free :hyper:

Urs wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:33 pm
Urs wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 pmI think in all those years I started maybe 10 threads in the Instruments forum...
Quick search: Ok, 26 in total. But really, only 3 after 2012, last one April 2016, 32 months ago. The intervals seem to grow exponentially.

Maybe that's because there are some aggressively spamming folks out there and I want to avoid being like them at all cost.
You already know the difference between making an "announcement", and "aggressively spamming". There's a huge difference between the two.
I know exactly what you mean because I hold back promoting my albums for the same reason.....because you don't want to be someone elses spam problem.
You can't please ALL the people ALL the time, and no matter what marketing strategy you employ ( too much or too little ) you will always annoy someone. Don't let those few per cent hold you back because there are many many more customers, and prospective future customers who would benefit from seeing it.
Every one of us who is a current customer, saw U-He somewhere before we bought something. That wasn't spam. It was well-placed information that converted into a sale, another sale, another sale, and eventually a loyal customer who anticipates and looks forward to U-He news and new products.
Just my 2 cents =)

mevla wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:44 pm Might be a thick question, but where should it be actually installed ? Do you mean the same plugin folder ?
It's so simple and obvious that there should not be a need for such a note, but we got many problems when not mentioning it. That's why there is a note now, there just doesn't seem to be a simple way to explain it.

But let me try it.
If you install the update, the old files will be replaced by the new files.
All the data files, like the graphics, or the new preset database, are in separate folders, and not directly baked into the plugin file itself. That's what the Hive.data folder is used for on Windows.

For example, if you had one plugin format (e.g. VST2) installed before, but now decide to only update the VST3 version, then the VST2 plugin will still be the old version.
And this old version will not know what to do with the new files, like our new browser, and will crash when you try to load it, or simply show up with a black or white screen. There is no way to avoid this.

So you have to make sure to install the data files into the same Hive.data folder (on Windows, on Mac these files go into predefined locations, so not much can go wrong there) as the last version you had installed.

And you have to make sure to install the plugin files (VST2, VST3, AU, AAX) into the same plugin folder you had the previous versions installed to. This point especially seems to be something that quite a few users get wrong during an installation. Maybe because they do not know where they installed the last version, or they since rearranged their plugin folders, or ...

Example:
You had your Hive.data folder installed to C:\Users\username\Documents\u-he\Hive.data.
Then simply make sure to install the Hive data into this same location as before.
And you had previously installed the VST2 plugin into, for example, a folder called C:\VSTPlugins.
Then make sure to tick the VST2 option during installation and to choose the same C:\VSTPlugins folder.
If you maybe rearranged things in the meantime, and created a new plugin folder called C:\NewPlugins, and install the Hive VST2 in there, then you have to make sure that your host will look for the plugins only in there. If your host still also looks for plugins in C:\VSTPlugins, and it finds the old Hive VST2 in there, then it could be that it tries to load this old one instead of the new one in C:\NewPlugins. And you end up with a plugin with a white screen, or with a crash, because the wrong plugin will be loaded.

To sum up the obvious: Install Hive.data into the same location as the last version, and install the plugin files into the same plugin folders as before. That's all there is to it.
And if in doubt, simply remove the old plugin files and data folder, and do a fresh installation instead of an update installation.

Hope that clears it up a bit.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

All right, thanks. It's the last statement in the 'important note' that seemed to contradict the previous one, as highlighted in my question.

Just before reading your reply I decided to install it in its own new directory, '/B3/Plugins/u-he/Hive-1.2/' while keeping the original '/B3/Plugins/u-he/Hive/'. It complained about a 'Bitmax.uhm' file missing the first time it was launched and then every single right-click on a preset crashed it, same after restarting all, Bitwig and Hive.

Then I read your reply and decided to overwrite the original files. If I loose my favorites, at least it's not Dark Zebra's. Everything went well though. The preset browser is now in dark tones and right-clicking a preset shows the favorites menu as it should. So everything is OK.

Moreover, above all that, the sounds are great !

Cheers.
Last edited by mevla on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:07 am
If you install the update, the old files will be replaced by the new files.
Quick question.
Does the installer write anything to the registry ?
I ask because I have Hive installed directly onto an external drive as I want to avoid everything saving to the C drive by default. I have external drives with 4tb of space, yet so many vsts want to save to C, and my documents, despite me running out of room on the C drive.

When I installed the Hive update, I couldn't remember if the previous installation saved the Vst3 file to that really annoying "common files" folder on the C drive, or if I installed it to a custom folder on my external drive.
I thought "safest bet is to uninstall, do a fresh install...problem solved", but when I opened the program list there was no mention of Hive, or U-He, so I went to the folder I knew of, looked for an uninstall file there ( uninst.exe ), but there was nothing again, so Im thinking nothing is actually written to the registry, and the install procedure simply copy / pastes to a designated folder ??

I just overwrote what was there and it works fine btw =)

The X/Y parameters does not seem to be exposed to the DAW. There's a XY:Y4 parameter that Bitwig sees but that parameter does not move at all when the X/Y cursor is moved around.

Loving the new update. Never really gelled with the wavetables on my Blofeld, but Hive makes working with them easy with the hexagon wave visualizations. It may just be my imagination but they sound like they have more sweetspots in the tables as well. I like the focus on keeping the workflow simple and efficient, even with the big additions.

There is also a particular quality to the Uhm scripts. With various wavetable synths having come out over the past few years, Hive manages to have something unique to it.

This looks to be the same build as posted in the sanity check so no need to download again correct?

Return to “u-he”