Hive - stuck notes when playing with QWERTY

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys I lately got Hive and am loving it.

A lot of the times I use my PC keyboard (QWERTYUIOP keys) to trigger samples of various VSTs and synths. Now usually with other stuff it's fine but with Hive for some reason when I press a key on my (PC) keyboard to play a note the note automatically just gets held down and sustains and there is no way for me to release it unless I initialize the patch or restart the VST, etc.

Does this have maybe something to do with the fact that the membrane keyboard keys act like a fast double mouse click? Since double clicking a note in Hive sustains it.

I would just really like to trigger the notes on my PC keyboard without them getting stuck/sustained.

Any idea on how to fix this? (And no I didn't have the Sustain feature turned on on my virtual keyboard in the DAW)

Hmmm, I have no idea... I guess we would have to try it. What host do you use?

Urs wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:36 am Hmmm, I have no idea... I guess we would have to try it. What host do you use?
Hey Urs, I'm on Windows 10 64 bit using the latest version of Studio One 4.

It's weird, now it seems to be working fine, I load up Hive, load up the virtual keyboard in Studio One (CAPS), then hide it under Hive, initialize the patch and it is playing just fine, no sustains.
But I swear sometimes when I did the same it would just automatically sustain the notes. I have no idea what's going on haha. It seems to occur for example when I load a new instance of Hive and the virtual Keyboard of Studio One is not reinitialized or well, behind the plugin (Hive). I press a key the note sustains. No idea what is causing this inconsistency. Will test more I guess

Urs wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:36 am Hmmm, I have no idea... I guess we would have to try it. What host do you use?
Here, I made a GIF showing the issue.
https://gyazo.com/b03618ec06d429a37f2f5ac30a75e560

I first am playing on the virtual keyboard, the notes are playing fine, no sustains, all is good. Then as you can see I load up a new instance of Hive, initialize the patch, and play on the qwerty keyboard (the virtual keyboard is still loaded up in S1 as you can see, just behind the plugin) but as you can see when I press a key on my QWERTY keyboard it shows on the keyboard in Hive that it sustains, is held down.

I tried this on Mac, using Studio One 4, and on Windows, using Studio One 3.
I could not reproduce it the way you showed it.
But all in all I found three different ways to get the same stuck notes when using the Qwerty keyboard.

Those things also happen with Presonus' own instruments, I tried it with Mai Tai and another one of theirs.
So there might be multiple bugs in the Qwerty keyboard, which lead to those issues.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:53 am I tried this on Mac, using Studio One 4, and on Windows, using Studio One 3.
I could not reproduce it the way you showed it.
But all in all I found three different ways to get the same stuck notes when using the Qwerty keyboard.

Those things also happen with Presonus' own instruments, I tried it with Mai Tai and another one of theirs.
So there might be multiple bugs in the Qwerty keyboard, which lead to those issues.
I see. How did it get stuck for you?

On Mac, when you hold the "Cmd" key while hitting one of the qwerty keys to trigger a note, this will keep that key activated, like a hold function. You can see it in the qwerty keyboard, the light of that key stays lit. When you now hit that key again (without using Cmd), it will switch it off. But it seems to forget to send an actual note-off to the plugin in this case.
And then I get the same stuck notes as you did. The key on the graphical keyboard in the Hive plugin suddenly cannot be switched off by clicking on it. You have to load a different preset to get rid of the stuck note.
The same thing happens with the Presonus Mai Tai plugin, which also has a graphical keyboard at the bottom of its GUI.

The second way to get stuck notes on Mac is to click on the little triangle between the cogwheel and the "qwerty keyboard" at the top of the plugin, where you can choose between qwerty keyboard or any other external controller you have. If you click on that triangle to get the option to choose a different external controller, and at the same time hit one of the qwerty keys to play a note, this note gets stuck.

The third way only happened on Windows, using Studio One 3, so maybe this was already fixed in Studio One 4, since I cannot reproduce this on Mac.
There I got stuck notes when hitting the Caps Lock key while hitting one of the qwerty keys at the same time.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:42 pm On Mac, when you hold the "Cmd" key while hitting one of the qwerty keys to trigger a note, this will keep that key activated, like a hold function. You can see it in the qwerty keyboard, the light of that key stays lit. When you now hit that key again (without using Cmd), it will switch it off. But it seems to forget to send an actual note-off to the plugin in this case.
And then I get the same stuck notes as you did. The key on the graphical keyboard in the Hive plugin suddenly cannot be switched off by clicking on it. You have to load a different preset to get rid of the stuck note.
The same thing happens with the Presonus Mai Tai plugin, which also has a graphical keyboard at the bottom of its GUI.

The second way to get stuck notes on Mac is to click on the little triangle between the cogwheel and the "qwerty keyboard" at the top of the plugin, where you can choose between qwerty keyboard or any other external controller you have. If you click on that triangle to get the option to choose a different external controller, and at the same time hit one of the qwerty keys to play a note, this note gets stuck.

The third way only happened on Windows, using Studio One 3, so maybe this was already fixed in Studio One 4, since I cannot reproduce this on Mac.
There I got stuck notes when hitting the Caps Lock key while hitting one of the qwerty keys at the same time.
I see, so it's a Studio One issue eh? Still strange though as when I use for example my Kontakt sample libraries it doesnt happen. Only with Hive so far.
Thanks for the testing and help :)

Every note played with the computer keyboard gets stuck in Windows Studio One 4 when the Hive GUI is open and in focus. If I click away from the Hive window it doesn't happen. Not a big deal as I have a MIDI keyboard, but a bit odd that Hive is the only synth where I have the issue.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Greenstorm33 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:56 pm Every note played with the computer keyboard gets stuck in Windows Studio One 4 when the Hive GUI is open and in focus. If I click away from the Hive window it doesn't happen. Not a big deal as I have a MIDI keyboard, but a bit odd that Hive is the only synth where I have the issue.
Yeah, same for me, only Hive is doing this for me. So I'm wondering if it's a Studio One issue, or some compatibility issue between Studio One's kb and Hive. Hmm

GrandVelocity wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:52 am
Greenstorm33 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:56 pm Every note played with the computer keyboard gets stuck in Windows Studio One 4 when the Hive GUI is open and in focus. If I click away from the Hive window it doesn't happen. Not a big deal as I have a MIDI keyboard, but a bit odd that Hive is the only synth where I have the issue.
Yeah, same for me, only Hive is doing this for me. So I'm wondering if it's a Studio One issue, or some compatibility issue between Studio One's kb and Hive. Hmm
I tested this in Studio One 4. The VST3 version of Hive 2, the notes do get stuck for me (when virtual keyboard is behind Hive 2, not overlaying it). VST2 version, it works fine.

I finally could reproduce this, and it's not a bug in Hive, it's just another bug in the qwerty keyboard, in connection with VST3 plugins. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=541167

tasmaniandevil wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:24 pm I finally could reproduce this, and it's not a bug in Hive, it's just another bug in the qwerty keyboard, in connection with VST3 plugins. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=541167
Thanks... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Everyone knows more than I do...

Thank you!

Return to “u-he”