Hive 2.0

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:37 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:15 pm I'd also flip Amp1 and Mod1 and go away from the mirroring so that the mod envelope was always on the left and the amp envelope always on the right. This is how my hardware controller is laid out and how most synths are laid out so my brain just defaults to Filter Env always on left, Amp Env always on right.
Exactly this. :clap:

...After doing hundreds of patches for Hive 1 habits are formed and it can be somewhat unpleasant to relearn the flow.
Hive 1 was even weirder IMO where Amp was always on the left and Mod was always on the right. So compared to that, I prefer Hive 2, but everyone knows the "right" answer is Mod always on left and Amp always on right. :-P

strange things about wirder Hive 1, i produced so amazing sounds on it, that still it's sounds a bit warmer to me than hive 2)
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

Amp/Mod is the only thing that trips me up. I noticed I don't look at the labels, it's the very similar ADSR slider appearance. I'm not sure they need to be reordered, maybe just colored or differentiated a bit more obviously. I find my eyes/mind ignoring the blue tint, and the slider knobs have exact the same appearance which doesn't help.

Sub/Osc and Filter aren't a problem to me. The knob order isn't mirrored, sub dropdown is significantly different from osc waveform display and is partitioned by the vibrato arrow, filter 2 has an additional source as well, they're visually distinct.

FWIW, nothing on the GUI is tripping me up because I'm spending so much time with Hive :P :hihi:

So I made some modifications to the default Hive skin for my own use. The changes in Hive2A, as I'm calling the first one, are barely noticeable. Hive 2B is a little more obvious.

Hive 2A is teeny tiny little variant where Mod1/Amp1 have been reversed so Mod Envelopes are always on the left. Also changed the labels for the Sub Tune and Sub Volume knobs (hopefully I stop grabbing them, thinking I'm adjusting the Osc2 volume and tune now). Just having the Amp1 envelope to the right makes the world a better place. 8)

And here's the Hive 2B variation [of a variation] where the symmetry is broken to move the Filter 2 Cutoff and Resonance knobs closer to the hexagon. Includes the other changes from Hive 2A.

KBSoundSmith wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:35 pm FWIW, nothing on the GUI is tripping me up because I'm spending so much time with Hive :P :hihi:
Ditto. Things are where they are, same as everything else.

I think there are other small improvements I'd like to see implemented ahead of rearranging the UI (although I'm certainly not adverse to seeing changes if it improves workflow for anyone)

Thread hijack :)

Is there a way to bypass FX of a specific OSC or SUB?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:08 am Thread hijack :)

They're either all in or none at all unfortunately. Unless I'm wrong.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:19 am

Shi*!! :cry:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

NatLife wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:01 pm strange things about wirder Hive 1, i produced so amazing sounds on it, that still it's sounds a bit warmer to me than hive 2)
Placebo. They sound the same.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:52 am
NatLife wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:01 pm strange things about wirder Hive 1, i produced so amazing sounds on it, that still it's sounds a bit warmer to me than hive 2)
Placebo. They sound the same.
might be so, but i doing sounds with same tehcnology and it's sounds not so same like was in first version)
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

Everything is the same as in version 1.2. Only the GUI changed and some features were added (function generators, scope). Sound engine itself had zero changes.

Touch The Universe wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:52 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:19 am

Shi*!! :cry:
Yeah, sorry, I wanted to add some routing options but there wasn't any time left before preset design phase (feature freeze). I'm gonna look at Massive X for a bit, it looks like just the right way to do it, when combined with our built-in reorder functionality.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:22 am Everything is the same as in version 1.2. Only the GUI changed and some features were added (function generators, scope). Sound engine itself had zero changes.
Hmmm...

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:40 pm Mod Envelopes are always on the left. Also changed the labels for the Sub Tune and Sub Volume knobs (hopefully I stop grabbing them, thinking I'm adjusting the Osc2 volume and tune now). Just having the Amp1 envelope to the right makes the world a better place. 8)
Good job but we have philosophical difference in that I feel the Amp Envs should be on the Left like they were in Hive 1 and in Osc 1 in H2. You're likely to always use the Amp Env but may not use (or use both) Mod Envs. Seems to my mind it should be Osc-> Amp-> Mod but that's just me. Maybe I'll take a stab at moving the elements while waiting for satYatunes to make a Hive 2 skin. His Spartan Grey skin for Hive 1 was my favorite as I'm a big fan of his style.

Again not a big deal as the current default is functional it's just that those of us who have spent a lot of time with Hive 1 will have to learn to stop adjusting Osc 2 Mod Env thinking it's the Amp Env. :lol:

I will give a hearty +1 to allow Oscs to bypass the FX. Sometimes it would be nice to apply delay for example to one Osc while leaving the other Osc unaffected. This is where Dune 3 has an edge with its two FX chains and each layer can be routed through both, one or the other, or neither of them. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “u-he”