So what's next for U-He?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pierb wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:48 am I guess it's all very subjective. I've never been able to get anything interesting out of the osc fx in Zebra.
It is indeed subjective. We all like different sounds.

For me the Zebra OscFX are awesome and an endless well of lovely sounds.

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:52 am How on earth could this be?
pdxindy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:55 pm For me the Zebra OscFX are awesome and an endless well of lovely sounds.
Do you have any good examples?

pierb wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:59 pm
Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:52 am How on earth could this be?
pdxindy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:55 pm For me the Zebra OscFX are awesome and an endless well of lovely sounds.
Do you have any good examples?
Hundreds... but what's the point? Like you said, it is subjective and if you don't find the OscFX useful, then you don't.

pierb wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:59 pm Do you have any good examples?
This is the song I did for OSC a bit back. It is not mixed well, but all sounds are made with Zebra 2. I love the sounds I was able to make with it.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2TdDn4aZ ... PNBq8BWTyQ

Of course, there are the presets, made by professionals--many make good work of the oscillator effects.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:09 pm Hundreds... but what's the point? Like you said, it is subjective and if you don't find the OscFX useful, then you don't.
Maybe I'm missing something?

Also, see the many Zebra tutorials: https://u-he.com/community/tutorials/ze ... rials.html

And the user guide for Zebra 2 explains each oscillator effect.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Hey Urs, and what about MFM? Any plans to give it some love?

It's quite a unique plugin. There's nothing like it in the market AFAIK.

pierb wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:03 am There's nothing like it in the market AFAIK.

Bitwig has a Delay that is VERY similar to MFM... But in Bitwig you can decide what and how many FX you want to have in the Feedbackpath (even 3rd party VSTs)...Obviously the Bitwig Devs took MFM as inspiration for their Delay and took it to the next level (when taking into account that in Bitwig you also have all the modulators)...

(and they also have their own take on Bazille --> Phase4 (only without the "cable routing freedom" and also some other things are different... but conceptual wise they are also very similar)...)
Everyone knows more than I do...

All our plug-ins are important to me. Bazille, Uhbik, MFM and Filterscape have yet to receive our new browser treatment, Bazille and Uhbik are almost there, MFM and Filterscape will follow.

operator wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:53 pmBitwig has a Delay that is VERY similar to MFM
Oh wow. I just watched a video about Delay 4 and it seems super powerful. Another good reason to take a more serious look at Bitwig!

Urs wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:30 pm All our plug-ins are important to me. Bazille, Uhbik, MFM and Filterscape have yet to receive our new browser treatment, Bazille and Uhbik are almost there, MFM and Filterscape will follow.
Great to hear!

Urs wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:30 pm All our plug-ins are important to me. Bazille, Uhbik, MFM and Filterscape have yet to receive our new browser treatment, Bazille and Uhbik are almost there, MFM and Filterscape will follow.
filterscape needs a UI overhaul, it looks like Logic's stock plugs now :lol:

i'm interested in it, but can't get over the ui :)
maybe plugmon will save me

Ploki wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 pm i'm interested in it, but can't get over the ui :)
If you own Zebra... maybe Zebrify will meet your standards... You got XMF, Filter, Comb, Filter-FM, Distortion, Wavefolder, LFO, MSEG, ADSR, Mixer, 4 lanes AND the XY pad to morph filters/lanes etc...... may I dare to say it, I prefer Zebrify over Filterscape any day... (Urs please, don´t take this as reason to discountinue Zebrify in Zebra3)

Uhbik Runciter with the new modulations is also very fun to use... :love: and we will get new filtertypes/algos in the near future... hopefully we also get the combfilter that will be introduced to Hive in the next update.

What a time to be alive... :love:
Everyone knows more than I do...

operator wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:24 pm
Ploki wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 pm i'm interested in it, but can't get over the ui :)
If you own Zebra... maybe Zebrify will meet your standards... You got XMF, Filter, Comb, Filter-FM, Distortion, Wavefolder, LFO, MSEG, ADSR, Mixer, 4 lanes AND the XY pad to morph filters/lanes etc...... may I dare to say it, I prefer Zebrify over Filterscape any day... (Urs please, don´t take this as reason to discountinue Zebrify in Zebra3)

Uhbik Runciter with the new modulations is also very fun to use... :love: and we will get new filtertypes/algos in the near future... hopefully we also get the combfilter that will be introduced to Hive in the next update.

What a time to be alive... :love:
I have zebra and runciter is my go to filter :)
Interested in Filterscape VA mostly

pierb wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:48 am
Urs wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:48 amManipulating parts of a waveform with either horizontal or vertical windows (as in the examples you mention) has never been much of interest to me. Manipulating parts fo the *spectrum* with creative windows such as the "ChopLift" effect is far more spectacular IMHO.
I guess it's all very subjective. I've never been able to get anything interesting out of the osc fx in Zebra.

This may sound harsh but maybe it’ s because you don’t know how to use them .
You really need to know what each osc effect actually is /does .
Some osc effect like pd (phase dist.) should be set at full ( not being modulated) and only modulate the geomorph to get that classic phase distortion
The modulation of the geomorph basic waveform is also verry important to achieve classic pd , because this acts as the phasor , make sure the breakpoints are smoothly joined etc...
You need to know the principle of phase distortion to get the maximum result out of zebra, it can mimic all classic pd stuff excep the reso waves ( which is a combination of pd and windowed sync )
Many moons ago I posted some examples on a subforum , it's a basic introduction to phase dist.
viewtopic.php?t=474247
Other osc effects like self feedbacking fm operators , etc .. logically you would apply this osc effect to a pure sine , also keep in mind the resolutiuon slider is pretty important .
Also the fantastic dx effect , great when modulating a spectromorph with decreasing harmonics , add an odd/even effect et voila , classic fm stuff withouteven using the dedicated fm operators ,,only in zebra :tu:
And we're not even talking about the more esoteric effects like smear , turbulence etc..
The osc effects are what make zebra stand out of the crowd :tu: , but yes it needs dedication and some basic synth knowledge , otherwise you're just wandering in the dark
I’d say try harder
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “u-he”