Hive 2.1 public beta 01 revision 10837

Official support for: u-he.com
KVRian
1086 posts since 22 Mar, 2005 from Germany

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:34 am

Warning:
We discovered one potential issue with this beta version, rev. 10837.
If you save a host project, please make sure that you do not have assigned any mod matrix modulation slots to the scope. This might lead to a crash when trying to reopen the project.
Hi everyone,

winterly greetings from the u-he headquarters.
The days are short, the nights are long, so we thought we bring a first Hive 2.1 beta along. :)

While there are still lots of things to do, we decided it's about time you get your hands on the new Hive version.

Image

Downloads:

Hive 2.1 beta 10837 Mac
Hive 2.1 beta 10837 Win
Hive 2.1 beta 10837 Linux

The jump from 2.0.1 to 2.1 might seem small, but don't get fooled by the numbers.
There are lots of goodies included this time.

We've got new filter modes (yes, including a comb filter).
The shape sequencer can be halted to freely modulate its position.
You can choose from a variety of predefined keyboard scales, and lock them.
Mod matrix modulation signals can now be visualized in the scope, so you can inspect how the signal is shaped by the matrix.

And next to a gazillion of UI improvements in the regular skin, Hive is getting a fresh new skin.
Izmo has been created by the insanely creative GUI designer Plugmon.
It provides a drastically different look and workflow, letting you experience and explore Hive as if it was a completely new synth, sparking your creativity in exciting new ways.

One goal of this beta is to get as much of your feedback for the new skin as possible.
Izmo is still work in progress, and Plugmon will join the discussion to collect your requests and refine the skin, if needed.
For this purpose we created a separate thread solely dedicated to discussing the Izmo skin.
If you want to join the discussion, please hop over to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=559586

Of course, we also want your opinion on all the new Hive features, and the UI improvements in the regular Hive skin.
And if you encounter any strange behaviour or bugs, don't hesitate to let us know.
Everything related to Hive 2.1 can be discussed right here in this thread.

Please note that this beta version does not yet come with support for the Apple M1 chips.
We are still working on implementing Silicon support, and plan to have another public beta once this is done.

But wait, there is one more thing to test (at least for our Mac users).
As you might know, some users are experiencing problems with sluggish or lagging GUIs for some time now.
We spent the last two months trying to come up with a solution for this, and identified some settings which can drastically improve the GUI rendering.
As this problem heavily depends on a multitude of known and unknown factors, we need you to test these options, so we can find out which settings are working best on all kinds of system configurations.
If you have been affected by this issue, please give it a try and let us know which settings work best for you.
Just hop over to this thread to discuss everything related to the Mac GUI performance:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=559587

And finally, here is an overview of the changes since version 2.0.1, rev. 9709:

Improvements:

* macOS Big Sur compatibility
* macOS 32bit support discontinued
* New Izmo skin by Plugmon
* New filter modes (Comb, Dissonant, Reverb, Sideband)
* New filter stereo offset parameter ("spread" in mod matrix)
* Pan parameters for delay and reverb effects (in mod matrix)
* Shape sequencer position modulation option (Halt)
* Adjusting modulation depth in matrix highlights targets
* Improved wavetable loading for large WT collections
* Improved note-stealing behaviour with sustain pedal
* Scope can display mod matrix modulation
* New preference for XY auto-assign
* Keyboard scales lockable
* Keyboard scale selection
* Soundset installer support
* Browser: Bank name feature added
* Browser: Alternative search method using wildcards
* Browser: Reveal in Finder/Explorer behaviour improved
* Improved module preset saving (Mac only)
* Improved GUI performance (Mac only)
* Many small GUI adjustments

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed: Notes starting on same time stamp but different MIDI channel might not play
* Fixed: Wavetable names didn't have full UTF8 support (Windows only)
* Fixed: Random modulation source nonfunctional on effect parameters
* Fixed: Shape sequencer one by one mode start position inconsistent
* Fixed: LFO envelope trigger behaviour inconsistent
* Fixed: Wavetable missing dialog not working for .wav files
* Fixed: Numerous fixes and improvements in preset browser
* Fixed: Clock modulation acting erratic in FL Studio
* Fixed: XY auto-assign quirks

Known Issues:

* Installer and plugin still display version 2.0.1
* Manual has not been updated yet
* Context menus need plugin focus to work (Apple issue)
* AAX GUI gamma issue if Draw Async is set to YES (Mac only)

Cheers,
Tas
Last edited by tasmaniandevil on Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KVRAF
2884 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:47 am

IN LOVE!!! Those filters are so much fun!
Wish the Izmo UI was darker. Won't use it because the amount of white.
The lay-out is okay though

cnt
KVRist
497 posts since 9 Mar, 2001

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:15 am

Nice!! Damn, the instant gratification monkey just took over my day.

Could someone explain what the other cool new filter types does? (Dissonant, Reverb, Sideband)
I just tested them out and I really like the gritty sound of Sideband!

KVRist
65 posts since 22 Nov, 2019

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 am

What Halt option does? How it works?

Love new update, love new skin (also wish it would be a little bit darker).

KVRian

Topic Starter

1086 posts since 22 Mar, 2005 from Germany

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:31 am

ab_sourd wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 am
What Halt option does? How it works?
Set the shape sequencer Time Base value to "Halt".
Now you can select "Shape Sequencer Position" as a target in the mod matrix to freely modulate it.

User avatar
KVRian
1074 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:04 am

this is great news. Hive is such a good synth. RE: Sound set installer support - is there any special format sound banks need to be saved in for this/will our existing presets work?

KVRist
402 posts since 18 May, 2007 from Berlin

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:13 am

Biome_Digital wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:04 am
...RE: Sound set installer support - is there any special format sound banks need to be saved in for this/will our existing presets work?
All older presets will still work and can still be "installed" the old way, i.e. by copying things into specific target folders, and all older instructions from existing soundsets will still be correct.

We simply offer a new alternative installation method, but we need to prepare some instructions and examples first, then talk to sounddesigners about how to convert existing soundsets to the new format, if they wish to adopt it. More on that in the coming weeks, mostl likely.

Viktor
u-he team

User avatar
Urs
u-he
25555 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:14 am

Biome_Digital wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:04 am
this is great news. Hive is such a good synth. RE: Sound set installer support - is there any special format sound banks need to be saved in for this/will our existing presets work?
Existing presets and preset banks work normally. We're just adding a tool that makes installation easier, but once installed is identical to existing presets and stuff.

(Ah, TUC beat me to it... ok)

User avatar
KVRAF
15112 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:36 am

tasmaniandevil wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:34 am
next to a gazillion of UI improvements in the regular skin
Yet the Mod and Amp Envelopes are still swapped. :?

Anyway I'm grateful for the new Filters. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
KVRian
1074 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:23 am

The unshushable Coktor wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:13 am
Biome_Digital wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:04 am
...RE: Sound set installer support - is there any special format sound banks need to be saved in for this/will our existing presets work?
All older presets will still work and can still be "installed" the old way, i.e. by copying things into specific target folders, and all older instructions from existing soundsets will still be correct.

We simply offer a new alternative installation method, but we need to prepare some instructions and examples first, then talk to sounddesigners about how to convert existing soundsets to the new format, if they wish to adopt it. More on that in the coming weeks, mostl likely.

Viktor
Great, looking forward to more info. Just playing with the new filters, great work guys!! :tu:

User avatar
KVRist
186 posts since 7 Oct, 2020

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:30 am

tasmaniandevil wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:31 am
ab_sourd wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 am
What Halt option does? How it works?
Set the shape sequencer Time Base value to "Halt".
Now you can select "Shape Sequencer Position" as a target in the mod matrix to freely modulate it.
:hyper:

That's awesome! Even though it's possible now, it would still be nice to have non-tempo related rates for the Shape Sequencers some day maybe.
I know, you can use a constant modulation to the rate, but that way, the preset will still sound different at different song tempos.
The usual .1s, 1s and 10s options would already be enough.

Seems like a great update! Can't wait to check it out :)

Awesome work :tu:

KVRist
120 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Germany

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:42 am

The Nerdy Music Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:30 am
That's awesome! Even though it's possible now, it would still be nice to have non-tempo related rates for the Shape Sequencers some day maybe.
I know, you can use a constant modulation to the rate, but that way, the preset will still sound different at different song tempos.
The usual .1s, 1s and 10s options would already be enough.
I hope that I understand you correct. If you use a saw up LFO to modulate step sequencer position when set to halt mode then the LFO speed controls how fast the sequencer steps run through.

User avatar
KVRian
834 posts since 30 Mar, 2008 from MN, USA

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:52 am

I am on macOS 11.2b2 on a maxed-out Macbook Pro 16".

The UI is extremely laggy when using the Izmo skin. All controls are jerky and slow to respond, almost to the point of being unusable.

Tested the AU, VST2, and VST3. UI scale is set at 100%. Tested in Bitwig and Hosting AU. Gamma at neutral. Anti aliasing both on and off with no difference in performance.

The Original skin is much better. Not quite as smooth as 2.0.1, though.

Video showing the behavior: https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/mwdie ... owness.mov

User avatar
KVRist
186 posts since 7 Oct, 2020

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:07 am

Beachboy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:42 am
The Nerdy Music Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:30 am
That's awesome! Even though it's possible now, it would still be nice to have non-tempo related rates for the Shape Sequencers some day maybe.
I know, you can use a constant modulation to the rate, but that way, the preset will still sound different at different song tempos.
The usual .1s, 1s and 10s options would already be enough.
I hope that I understand you correct. If you use a saw up LFO to modulate step sequencer position when set to halt mode then the LFO speed controls how fast the sequencer steps run through.
Yeah, that way I lose an LFO, though :D

It's not terribly important, but it would still be amazing to just have unsynced Shape Seq rates.

User avatar
Urs
u-he
25555 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:07 am

teilo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:52 am
I am on macOS 11.2b2 on a maxed-out Macbook Pro 16".

The UI is extremely laggy when using the Izmo skin. All controls are jerky and slow to respond, almost to the point of being unusable.

Tested the AU, VST2, and VST3. UI scale is set at 100%. Tested in Bitwig and Hosting AU. Gamma at neutral. Anti aliasing both on and off with no difference in performance.

The Original skin is much better. Not quite as smooth as 2.0.1, though.

Video showing the behavior: https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/mwdie ... owness.mov
You'd be a perfect candidate to have a look at our other testing thread. I reckon the first option will completely change your experience:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=559587

Return to “u-he”