Gizmo - Hive 2.1 Izmo Theme Mod (Updated Mar 19 2021 v1.11)

Official support for: u-he.com
KVRAF
8281 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:57 pm

Introducing Gizmo; a Hive 2.1 skin variation built entirely off plugmon's excellent Izmo theme. This was a little more than re-color job, in that I had to recreate a lot of the graphics from the ground up in the Affinity suite, but yeah, the ultimate goal was to modify the colors to better fit my tastes.

Things have some better contrast, and there are some splashes of color. Thanks to plugmon for his excellent original skin, u-he for Hive, and zvenx for testing this out and providing some great feedback. Let me know if there are any bugs. Otherwise...have at it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkertp5gkz7sx ... o.zip?dl=0

Changes include:
  • Replaced the paper white with the same shade of gray used in the default Hive 2 skin.
  • Darker elements are a bit darker too for more contrast.
  • Added the default skin color to the waveform scopes and logo for a splash of color.
  • Added darker elements for the flat knobs to make them stand out more.
  • Added color to the scopes. But note: they're not color-coded. It's either fixed colors (like Original Hive) or no colors (like Izmo). Tried to pick colorblind friendly colors.
  • Added color to the FX on/off indicators to really let you know the difference between on and off.
  • Made the "FXBypass" orange when FX are enabled, and gray when disabled. Animated the switch (left off, right is on).
  • Put light text inside dark windows for things like the voice mode, oscillator waveform name, XY #'s, etc.
  • Centered the word VOICE in the top-left.
  • Spelled out Tune and Volume on the Sub labels.
  • Vibrato indicator now is blue to match mod color.
  • As I recreated most panes, there's none of the textured noise that exists in the original theme, so it's a bit flatter/cleaner.
New in V1.05 - March 17, 2021
  • Based off Izmo 1.0 version - prior build was actually started with an older version of Izmo
  • Fixed bug with Y2 dropdown menu not working
  • Fixed microtuning bug (just updating the skin solved this)
  • Used updated colors for modulators and icons from Izmo 1.0
  • Minor tweaks throughout, mostly to fit updated source skin version
New in V1.1 - March 18, 2021
  • Sub-Tune box now matches dark background/light text of other menus (thanks plugmon for light text graphics)
  • Solo buttons off-state now have more contrast
  • Light menu backgrounds are a little darker for more contrast
  • Scope freeze button now has more contrast - blue when frozen
  • Graphics for inactive steps in step sequencer now noise-free
  • Small tweaks to header and footer
  • Slightly better contrast with miscellaneous images
New in V1.11 - March 19, 2021
  • Fixed dark-on-dark font on dropdowns in the Voice menu.
This will be the final update unless there are bugs or updates to the plugin itself that require change.

Installation Instructions

1. Place the entire Gizmo folder into: Hive.data\Support\Themes\
2. Right-click an empty section of the GUI and select "Gizmo" to set the theme one time
3. If you want to use as your default theme, set that in the preferences

Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:03 am, edited 10 times in total.

KVRian
562 posts since 1 Sep, 2007

Post Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:57 pm

Looking good, thanks...

KVRist
151 posts since 25 Jul, 2005 from Vancouver, Canada

Post Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:10 pm

this looks awesome, thanks so much for sharing.

quick question, how hard do you think it would be to make the Shape Sequencer colourful as the original skin?
I may give it a shot to do it, but if you tried and thought it was too hard, I would appreciate your opinion!
But then a strange fear gripped me
and I just couldn't ask....

KVRAF
10071 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:24 am

Most welcome.
I think it turned out great and is already my default Hive skin.
Thanks again for doing this.
rsp
sound sculptist

KVRian
1242 posts since 12 Nov, 2002 from Newcastle, UK

Post Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 am

Fantastic, many thanks for this edit :D
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:29 pm

Garzita wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:10 pm
quick question, how hard do you think it would be to make the Shape Sequencer colourful as the original skin?
I may give it a shot to do it, but if you tried and thought it was too hard, I would appreciate your opinion!
I took a quick look and couldn't figure out which color or element was actually controlling the shape sequencer colors. It's in there somewhere, but wasn't obvious to me on first attempt. If anyone figures this out and wants to share, by all means!

KVRist
261 posts since 3 Mar, 2015 from Japan

Post Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:53 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:29 pm
Garzita wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:10 pm
I took a quick look and couldn't figure out which color or element was actually controlling the shape sequencer colors. It's in there somewhere, but wasn't obvious to me on first attempt. If anyone figures this out and wants to share, by all means!
Hi, Thanks very much for making the variation. Here's the explanation :

▼Envelope Curves
The envelope curves of shape sequencer is called "SegmentEnvelope" and you can find 3 elements of this type.

1. "SegEnv-Steps" ... The one you see in the center panel
2. "SegEnv Magnified" ... The very big one in the expanded view
3. "SegEnv-SelectOnly" ... The small one in the expanded view

You can color them by editing these elements in the script.

▼Step Selectors
Step Selectors are called "SegmentSelector" and animated images are used here. The resources are put in the Animations folder.

1. "SSQ-Seg" ... The ones you see in the center panel
2. "SSQ-Seg-HC" ... The ones in the expanded view

The same images are used for all A~D lane so they're total monochrome now.

So make 4 colored animated images, and designate them to each lane results in colorful sequencer :tu:
ImageFM/PD Wavetables & presets, FM Anthem for Hive is released! | Follow me on Twitter

KVRist
96 posts since 21 Sep, 2015

Post Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:44 pm

I think I'm missing something. It seems that the Gizmo theme only works if I replace the the original files which deletes the original files of course, leaving me unable to access the original or Izmo theme. When I attempt to include all files, the Gizmo theme is not an available option in the list of themes. What am I overlooking? Or is this just the way it is?

KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:49 am

Huh? Once you put the folder in the right place, same hierarchy folder as Izmo so they are side by side. Works fine on mac and pc. Nothing needs to be replaced.

Page 4 of the manual shows the correct location.

Rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zvenx on Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

KVRian
1242 posts since 12 Nov, 2002 from Newcastle, UK

Post Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:30 am

Couple of little bugs..

When I load up Hive in Reaper (Version 6.23 / Windows 7 64-bit / VST2) and click the 'piano keys' icon to bring up the keyboard, there is an issue with the box for Y2. Some text is over-written and the popup menu accessed via clicking the text doesn't open. If I switch back to regular Izmo skin everything works fine :-
Gizmo
Gizmo.png
Izmo
Izmo.png
Also, the button for turning on microtuning turns dark grey when clicked but the text is difficult to read, would expect it to be a lot brighter ;)

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:02 am

The first thing doesn't happen on Cubase mac.I agree with the microturning switch.

rsp
sound sculptist

KVRist
96 posts since 21 Sep, 2015

Post Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:25 am

zvenx wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:49 am
Huh? Once you put the folder in the right place, same hierarchy folder as Izmo so they are side by side. Works fine on mac and pc. Nothing needs to be replaced.

Page 4 of the manual shows the correct location.

Rsp
Thanks! That was too simple :dog: . I actually hadn't even looked there or thought to look in the manual for that. I was putting the files here, Documents\u-he\Hive.data\Data...Thanks again

KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:25 am

Welcome.
rsp
sound sculptist

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:40 am

Shifrin wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:30 am
Couple of little bugs..

When I load up Hive in Reaper (Version 6.23 / Windows 7 64-bit / VST2) and click the 'piano keys' icon to bring up the keyboard, there is an issue with the box for Y2. Some text is over-written and the popup menu accessed via clicking the text doesn't open. If I switch back to regular Izmo skin everything works fine :-
GizmoGizmo.png
IzmoIzmo.png

Also, the button for turning on microtuning turns dark grey when clicked but the text is difficult to read, would expect it to be a lot brighter ;)

Cheers!
Thanks for the reports.

I didn't see the Y2 box issue here, but I'll play around with it more and try to reproduce. I'm a Reaper user and I'm also on Windows. If you hit upon any exact steps to reproduce it may help. Could totally be possible there's a typo I added into the script or accidentally deleted a layer.

I'll fix the microtuning soon (maybe as late as this weekend - hopefully sooner)!

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:41 am

plugmon wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:53 pm
Hi, Thanks very much for making the variation. Here's the explanation...
Thanks so much for this post! I was aimlessly poking around at some of these settings in the script, try to figure out how they worked via trial and error. I would never have got all that on my own! Or at least, would've given up entirely before figuring it out like last night. Thanks so much! :tu:

Return to “u-he”