Looking for developer(s) for freeware project (FOUND)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ragnarök

stratum wrote:Do you have specific information about what kind of filters are necessary to convert the mentioned %25 duty cycle wave to strings/woodwind-like sounds? The paper mentions this briefly but does not describe it any further, leaving reverse engineering as the only option.
The basic synth (chorosynth) doesn't have any serious filters besides some rudimentary shaping. The sound is more or less full on based on the waveforms and the detuned oscillators. Because this was a bit limiting (although it did sound pretty good on it's own) I 'bolted on' the formant VCF module and additional ADSR generators.

The documentation for the Formant-filter is also available (it's not a formant-based filter but rather 'Formant' is the name of the modular synthesizer it came from).
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

penguinfromdeep wrote:Do you know what's wrong with the synth? Would be cool if it was possible to fix it (it seems that you have experience in electronics), to hear how it sounds like ... of course project like this probably won't go very deep into peculiarities of analog modeling (hope it would though :) ) but still the sound would be nice as reference I guess for people involved.
If this was viable I would LOVE to bring it back to life, but that would be a serious project on its own; several components will need to be replaced, keyboard tuning is completely done with resistors so that is gone as well, just about all soldering will need to be redone to ensure proper connection. Understand that this synth hasn't worked for over 20 years now :roll:

I still keep it around for nostalgic reasons, but at this stage it is a (very big) doorstop.

I'm pretty sure that rebuilding this synth will be even more work then doing it in software. That's why I proposed here, and also because it's rather different architecture from most traditional analogs would make it a nice softsynth to have (although it would mainly be usable for leads, as that was it's original purpose).
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

I just assembled an early UI-less :-o prototype:

the crimson v0.1.0 ALPHA
Download and use at your own risk!

Apart from a decent UI there are many features of crimsonwarlock's original synth missing (but also some surplus!). However, it should give you an impression how that thingy would sound like. Mind the volume control! 8)

Cheers, Björn

Full Bucket wrote:I just assembled an early UI-less :-o prototype:
Man, you are crazy :D I was just today thinking; well, no reply from Björn after posting the info, it wouldn't surprise me if he's already 'trying something'.... :hihi:

I'll try it tonight, right now I have some business obligations to attend to.

Just for nostalgic reference, a few notes on how it was used: on stage I used a fuzz-pedal (home-build as well) for certain sounds (so maybe that should/could become part of the 'new' synth) and just ran it through a Boss DM100 Delay most of the time.

I also remember one day at the studio of some guy in the neighborhood where we put it through an old Hammond Leslie cabinet which sounded pretty much incredible :D

crimsonwarlock wrote:I was just today thinking; well, no reply from Björn after posting the info, it wouldn't surprise me if he's already 'trying something'.... :hihi:
C'mon, check your PMs! :D
crimsonwarlock wrote:I'll try it tonight, right now I have some business obligations to attend to.
Same here... *sigh*

Cheers, Björn

Full Bucket wrote:I just assembled an early UI-less :-o prototype:

the crimson v0.1.0 ALPHA
Download and use at your own risk!

Apart from a decent UI there are many features of crimsonwarlock's original synth missing (but also some surplus!). However, it should give you an impression how that thingy would sound like. Mind the volume control! 8)

Cheers, Björn
Good job!Good sound for about 3% of cpu :) I am really impressed by your programmer expirience 8)

. The sound is more or less full on based on the waveforms and the detuned oscillators.
Detuned oscillators.. hmm.. this is likely to be one of the most useful kvr threads on software synths. At least for me.
~stratum~

crimsonwarlock wrote:
penguinfromdeep wrote:Do you know what's wrong with the synth? Would be cool if it was possible to fix it (it seems that you have experience in electronics), to hear how it sounds like ... of course project like this probably won't go very deep into peculiarities of analog modeling (hope it would though :) ) but still the sound would be nice as reference I guess for people involved.
If this was viable I would LOVE to bring it back to life, but that would be a serious project on its own; several components will need to be replaced, keyboard tuning is completely done with resistors so that is gone as well, just about all soldering will need to be redone to ensure proper connection. Understand that this synth hasn't worked for over 20 years now :roll:

I still keep it around for nostalgic reasons, but at this stage it is a (very big) doorstop.

I'm pretty sure that rebuilding this synth will be even more work then doing it in software. That's why I proposed here, and also because it's rather different architecture from most traditional analogs would make it a nice softsynth to have (although it would mainly be usable for leads, as that was it's original purpose).
As someone with a some experience in both sides of the coin, I disagree. Yes, if you take it to a pro-tech, it would be a pointless exercise, but someone into synth diy stuff that already has the "frame of mind" for vintage synths could probably get it running fairly quickly.

That said, I'm not sure that there's much point to it because, as you've basically described the synth, it is a string synth with a filter.

stratum wrote:
. The sound is more or less full on based on the waveforms and the detuned oscillators.
Detuned oscillators.. hmm.. this is likely to be one of the most useful kvr threads on software synths. At least for me.
Well, it seems to be underway now. So we'll see what comes out of this. For me it's already big fun :D

stratum wrote:
If you look at the original chorosynth schematic. It's four simple 555 based VCOs feeding some dividers.

Does anyone have the original pdf in english, my copy is in french?

ghettosynth wrote:As someone with a some experience in both sides of the coin, I disagree. Yes, if you take it to a pro-tech, it would be a pointless exercise, but someone into synth diy stuff that already has the "frame of mind" for vintage synths could probably get it running fairly quickly.

That said, I'm not sure that there's much point to it because, as you've basically described the synth, it is a string synth with a filter.
I did build it myself (besides several other DIY music hardware projects). So I definitely know what's involved.

As for it's usefulness, it is not 'basically a stringsynth with a filter', instead it's basically a traditional architecture analog monosynth with an array of divide-down oscillators instead of 'just' 2 or three oscillators. Compare this with any three-oscillator synth that can either have its oscillators stacked with detuning OR have them set to octave intervals; my synth does both together ;) String synthesizers where 'cheap' alternatives to real polyphonic synths and therefore did not utilize several stacked and detuned oscillators but instead relied on modulation (chorus/flanging) to beef up the sound. The divide-down technology in these instruments where mainly used to get polyphony, not 'big sounds'. I've owned several string machines in my life, a Siel Orchestra II, a GEM PK4900 and a Korg Delta to name a few.

Having said that, my synth is actually specifically build for lead-lines ;)

ghettosynth wrote:Does anyone have the original pdf in english, my copy is in french?
Drop me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

crimsonwarlock wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:As someone with a some experience in both sides of the coin, I disagree. Yes, if you take it to a pro-tech, it would be a pointless exercise, but someone into synth diy stuff that already has the "frame of mind" for vintage synths could probably get it running fairly quickly.

I did build it myself (besides several other DIY music hardware projects). So I definitely know what's involved.

As for it's usefulness, it is not 'basically a stringsynth with a filter', instead it's basically a traditional architecture analog monosynth with an array of divide-down oscillators instead of 'just' 2 or three oscillators. Compare this with any three-oscillator synth that can either have its oscillators stacked with detuning OR have them set to octave intervals; my synth does both together ;)
No, you're right, I brainfarted, it's like a two farfisas with a filter, or a polyphonic SH-101, or any synth with sub-oscillators. Still the point holds, it's not really that difficult to get this type of sound "simply" because it's just a "matrix" of oscillators. To get a more precise variant, you would want to properly simulate the divide down circuitry. But I suspect that you'd come fairly close just by chaining some oscillators together with a common pitch control. My point was that it's going to be fairly simple to emulate without actually having the hardware working because there's nothing particularly unique/unknown about any of the hardware components.

As far as fixing it, I wasn't sure where you were technically. Building kits and fixing things are different skill sets. I have yet to encounter a synth that couldn't be whipped back into a working state in a matter of a few hours and most of that time is spent dealing with the annoyances of manufactured synths, e.g. ICs are not socketed.

The only caveat with homemade gear is how it was put together.

BTW: It looks very nice and kudos for doing something just a little bit different. It's just my opinion, but you should bring it back to life. If you used the formant schematic for the filter then the parts are not unobtainium and I didn't see anything obscure in the schematic for the oscillator.

Just to give a heads-up on this one: Björn (Full Bucket) has taken up the gauntlet. He will do the coding and I will do the GUI myself. Stay tuned to see something emerging from this collaboration :D

Note: edited the topic title to reflect the status of the project.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”