|Developer||Full Bucket Music|
|Type / Tags|
Ragnarök is a software instrument for Microsoft Windows (VST) and macOS (VST/AU) simulating a custom-built one-of-a-kind analog synthesizer from 1980. It is written in native C++ code for high performance and low CPU consumption.
Ragnarök is the collaborative work of Hans Peter aka CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin (synth concept, GUI design, user manual, patch programming) and Björn aka Full Bucket (DSP+GUI+patch programming). Read more about the background of this project in the user manual and in the respective KVR thread.
The main features of Ragnarök are:
- Up to 64 voices polyphony including portamento.
- Unique 3+1 band-limited oscillator bank - up to four oscillators per voice.
- Additional white noise generator.
- Multi-pole filter (6–12–18–24 dB/Oct low-pass or high-pass) with resonance.
- Two envelopes (ADSR or AD) with exponential slopes.
- Low frequency oscillator.
- Built-in Overdrive effect and 7 band graphic equalizer.
- Cool repeat/pseudo arpeggiator functionality.
- Double precision audio processing.
- All parameters can be controlled by MIDI controllers.
- Exchangeable graphics (for individual skinning).
- Plug-in supports Windows and macOS (32-bit and 64-bit).
Here is Hans Peter's KVR OSC submission featuring Ragnarök:
Reviewed By DrewDale
November 18, 2014
Ragnarok is a very interesting and capable VST synthesizer, with a wide palette of sonic creativity. The 7 band graphic eq can be used to great effect to give some serious bottom end to the sounds, the filter is very smooth and the envelopes are fast too (Ideal for solid bass / pluck sounds) I know it is a different beast from the typical VST synths that try to emulate "other" instuments, but I do find it very easy to create sounds close to the Roland SH and Yamaha CS series of monophonic synthesizers. It is of course able to produce pads / organs / strings / bass or lead sounds.
The user interface is very easy to navigate and find your way around, the user manual is very well written with a detailed breakdown of each parameter section, there is even a list of presets and a brief description of the sound and performance notes (a great bonus from the old days of user manuals)
The lack of any onboard effects (apart from the overdrive knob in the filter section) is for me a bonus. I prefer to audition sounds raw and think about what effects I want to add after my sound has been created.
All in all a very interesting synthesizer. CrimsonWarlock and Full Bucket have created a wonderful beast that is very light on CPU and very user friendly. Download it, install it and enjoy it. Highly recommended.
I hope to complile and upload some patches very soon.Read more