Your preferred method of copy protection? (poll)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

What method of copy protection do you prefer most?

Serial number / Keyfile
72%
User embed / Pre-registered software (Cytomic / Camel Audio)
12%
Challenge / Response (Internet authorization w/ a computer)
4%
Dongle (iLok, eLicenser, Ect...)
12%

Total votes: 197

RELATED
PRODUCTS

eduardo_b wrote:
elxicano wrote:There really should be an option for those that simply do not care... meaning they'll buy the plugins they want regardless of copy protection method or lack thereof.

Seriously, that alone was the point many were trying to make in a related thread... that they just don't care. :wink:
Exactly. I couldn't care less about which CP scheme is used.
Well the poll question is "what method of copy protection do you PREFER most?" The poll isn't for anyone that doesn't have a preference.
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:
elxicano wrote:There really should be an option for those that simply do not care... meaning they'll buy the plugins they want regardless of copy protection method or lack thereof.

Seriously, that alone was the point many were trying to make in a related thread... that they just don't care. :wink:
Exactly. I couldn't care less about which CP scheme is used.
Well the poll question is "what method of copy protection do you PREFER most?" The poll isn't for anyone that doesn't have a preference.
The poll has even less validity if you leave out the no preference option. In other words, no preference has as much standing as any of the other choices because it represents ALL CP options.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

i like keyfiles and i'd like dongles, if there was just one dongle for everything (now i have to use ilok, wibu and syncrosoft; needs up to 4 usb slots). Premade personal files (eg. Celemony Melodyne) work well too. Challenge Response is a horror, if you use an offline puter (incl. NI's Service Center Stasi).
"It dreamed itself along"

MFXxx wrote: Variety of Sound plugins
You really paid for them? :roll:
Okay, cool.

Seriously now... USB key solution on my end. FOR EVERYTHING!

Pity that I can't move my C/R licenses from IKM to an USB key... I just just downright HATE C/R for ARC and T-Racks. And I hate the "copyprotection" systems from Native Instruments and Line6.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Please tell me about Chumby!

Is it going to revolutionize my workflow?

there is no reason for any 'protection'

you buy the product, you DL it (or get it thru the post)..simple

anything else is just taking the piss

Kriminal wrote:there is no reason for any 'protection'

Plus you get free pixie dust when you live in the outerlimits of your imagination. :hihi:

Igro wrote:... dongle can be huge pain in the ass. You always try to be careful to not damage it...and sometimes forget.
damn,i just reread this and now it's sounds kinda strange. :hihi:

Dongles are the best of a bad bunch IMO.

However, it seems Serial is by far the preferred method, according to the poll.
I agree that a poll speaks louder than 60 consecutive rants.

Having said that ....

I agree with a few posters here, in that you should be able to buy the software, take it home, fire it up and never even have to wrestle with the god awful term "copy protection" at all.
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Melkor wrote:Dongles are the best of a bad bunch IMO.

However, it seems Serial is by far the preferred method, according to the poll.
I agree that a poll speaks louder than 60 consecutive rants.

Having said that ....

I agree with a few posters here, in that you should be able to buy the software, take it home, fire it up and never even have to wrestle with the god awful term "copy protection" at all.
Hell, if apple can do it with OSX (and I believe all previous versions of apple os) then it should be a no-brainer)

Apple can do it because they are mainly a hardware company. Their software is what sells the hardware.
You are currently reading my signature.

hibidy wrote:
Kriminal wrote:there is no reason for any 'protection'

Plus you get free pixie dust when you live in the outerlimits of your imagination. :hihi:
Pixie dust and a signed portrait of Tinkerbell.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

How in the bloody hell are people preferring dongles over C/R by a factor of 3:1

Of course I chose cereal even though i'd prefer to have -none-.

C/P v. iLok, i'd chose ilok. at least there are some useful benefits to using the dongle.
'The science of rich men does not elevate all mankind, but only themselves.'
sound cloud

I refuse to buy ANY program that requires a dongle. Period.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”