'MS Dial' and new 'Elephant' software offer flexible Midi control over bluetooth on any PC

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought I would create a dedicated post for the new elephant software (under 7 USD) for the MS Surface Dial.

I have a surface dial (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/surfa ... verviewtab) they can be found pretty cheap (well under 100 bucks) and are pretty useful for 'normal' PC use (they work with any Win 10 PC with Bluetooth and have a lot of feature built in to the standard OS and apps that autoload when the dial is connect).

MS market the 'MS Surface Dial' very badly in my opinion as the name implies it needs a 'surface' computer; you don't, it works on any PC with Windows 10 and Bluetooth and it connects and configures automatically.

Although that's pretty cool, the dial was not built in to any music apps and had no native midi mapping ability....until now!!

''MS Surface Dial is now ready to be your natural input device to control all sliders and knobs on your DAW, VSTs, VCV Rack and more. Elephant software is here, just click and hold your mouse in the object to be controlled, and turn the dial, no MIDI mapping required!''

For just few bucks the dial now becomes a superb big smooth wireless input knob (with haptic feedback if you want!)

It works perfectly, the developer seems really responsive (I posted a bug it was fixed the next day and V1.2 uploaded!) and the developer is already asking for what other features he can incorporate as well as providing a roadmap of proposed new feature.

It goes without saying that I highly recommend buying this software of you already have a dial (there is also a full free demo), but I would go further, I would say if you use a DAW/VSTs it is worth buying an MS Dial now because of this software!

https://hi.computer/elephant/

:tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Just a follow up- Yesterday I posted a 'suggestion' on the forum to have a mode that does not require a control to be clicked and held and this was the response from the developer who had been up all night coding when I woke up min the morning....

''New mode born, I name this the DIRECT mode.
When this mode is enabled just hover the mouse over object you want control and turn the dial.
The dial is now locked to the object under control, and you can release just making a click on the dial.
Under this mode, access to the Elephant menu, require double click the dial.
This mode is ultra useful with mouse pad on laptop and with touch-screen also, oh yes, just touch the object to be controlled and just turn the dial.''

The dev has a ton of other ideas and I have also suggest a 'jog wheel mod which he is investigating….

Superb Software, Superb Developer.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”