Decided I might not need to buy anything new, please help!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Benedict wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:08 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:20 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:33 am
Benedict wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:36 pm Try this
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2012/12/15/gear-lust/
:-)
A good read. :tu:
In the context of other things I've read from him, it follows that he feels this way :shrug:
In the context of every other interaction I have had with you el-bo, it follows that you would be this condescending.
You took a very vague sentence and decided that you were being attacked in some way. But then you've chosen the same reaction in most of our intractions.

That's on you, man :shrug:

JerGoertz wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:44 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:15 am
jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:31 amwhen you limit your gear you are actually far more likely to develop your own sound that could potentially become recognisable to punters...a signature if you like.
This is one of those things that sounds like it should be true, but maybe doesn't hold up to closer inspection/deconstruction :shrug:
It seems plausible to me. :shrug:

At the very least, the phenomenon of having too many choices being counterproductive is well-established AFAIK.
Maybe it seems plausible to you because it aligns somewhat with that which you already believe?

And no, I'm not trying to be obtuse (nor was I with my response about Benedict). It's just that when I'm on a small iOS device, as I am now, it's not the moment to be typing large responses, to really make my case.

And yes! Choice paralysis can be a thing. But as long as one knows it's a possibility, it can be accounted for, and mitigated against.

JerGoertz wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:59 pm Gang, I was all set to demo and probably purchase some plugins this evening, but after reviewing what I already have, it seemed almost like I didn't need to buy the new stuff... Please help, this is a very scary and unfamiliar place for me. :help:
I find making music with a rock and a stick is fine.
As long as you put a ton of plugins on it and then sample it.
Might need to buy a few new ones just to get that special something.

TheSynthScientist wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:51 pm
JerGoertz wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:59 pm Gang, I was all set to demo and probably purchase some plugins this evening, but after reviewing what I already have, it seemed almost like I didn't need to buy the new stuff... Please help, this is a very scary and unfamiliar place for me. :help:
I find making music with a rock and a stick is fine.
As long as you put a ton of plugins on it and then sample it.
Might need to buy a few new ones just to get that special something.
Which kind of rock? Is it premium?
A well-behaved signature.

buy.
obey.
sleep.

Once it becomes normal you'll be able to deal with that other common problem of coming on kvr to post an OP and then realizing you have nothing to ask or say...

(after that, start enjoying reading more than writing, only thing that keeps me coming back)

I was feeling the same way ... but Godfazer just came out :hyper:

perhaps check out the charity auction, some cool bargains to be had at the min!

I am really satisfied with my current gear -- it aligns with the music I want to make.

I'm kind of approaching the point of zero GAS like an asymptotic curve, or Zeno's Paradox... not quite there, possibly never actually reaching it, but getting damn close. I'm almost prepared to pledge to buy no gear or software in 2020. But...
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:15 am
jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:31 amwhen you limit your gear you are actually far more likely to develop your own sound that could potentially become recognisable to punters...a signature if you like.
This is one of those things that sounds like it should be true, but maybe doesn't hold up to closer inspection/deconstruction :shrug:
Yeah, for me it was the other way. Trying quite a lot of stuff (but using it a lot!) helped me find my sound... and then refining that meant more gear changes, until finally reaching a state of almost exactly what I want.

It might be time for me to think about refining my mixing/mastering/monitoring though.

Good.. now make some music about it. Might actually be interesting.

lwj wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:20 pm
Good.. now make some music about it. Might actually be interesting.

you may need to explain what you mean...
preferably with diagrams.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”