Improvement Wishes [Add Yours]

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
1. Equip Receptor with the latest generation 24-bit, enhanced multi-bit 128x oversampling 192-kHz converters for SACD, DVD & surround sound applications.

2. XLR I/O Ports

3. Larger Internal Display

Peace

www.metalbass.com (http://www.metalbass.com)

Request to receptorize FXpansion GURU.

While it currently works as an unsupported plugin, the GUI could use some optimizations for the Receptor environment. With it's sequencing and sampling features it seems to be rather unique among the receptor-capable plugins and has great potential for live performances as well as studio work.

As a business justification, given that there don't seem to be any officially supported sequencer type plugins currently available, enabling Guru might also have the added benefit of having the Receptor appeal to a potentially larger audience.

Make it user Upgradeable Please!

At least the Hard Drive, and more Ram. Processor too.

S/PDIF or whatever's needed to make it sync properly over UniWire with low latency audio send and receive from my Mac.

Resolve networking services issue when ethernet card is enabled after receptor is booted.

Ref: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 90#1686890

And preload everything so we only have to put in our iLoks

Please update the processor. :)

I've played with my recently bought Receptor for a while now, and I really like it! Can't wait to take it on stage for some serious testing.

Anyway, I have a few suggestions on improvement.

First off I'd like to see a feature where the Receptor can act as a sysex bank. My situation:

I have a master controller, a Yamaha S90 by which I control an Alesis Fusion, a Korg Triton Rack, a Roland Fantom XR, and of course the Receptor. It would be really nice to be able to store sysex messages in a master setup on the receptor. That way I could change modes on the Triton (switch between PROG and COMBI which isn't possible via MSB/LSB which the S90 sends).

Another nifty feature would be to be able to use the Receptor as a MIDI merger (I think, haven't actually used one for real so I'm not sure how they work). For example, If I set up "Listen To MIDI Channel" to "5", and then add a feature "Play external MIDI Channel" in addition to "Play Plugin MIDI Channel" and set that one to "7" or something, then when I play channel 5 from my controller the Receptor sends all MIDI that comes in on channel 5 thru to 7. Here's where you also could have the option to send sysex data to that channel.

So, by simply calling up a MULTI on the Receptor I could program all my MIDI gear. Of course the Receptor had to be first in the chain after my master controller, so it'd be an extra MIDI cable from the keyboard stand to the rack and then back again (to control the Fusion), but that wouldn't matter to me.

Another thing would be to implement UnionFS. I've read a couple of posts that concern the inability to add an external USB drive to store samples on it. This would be easily fixed if you guys implemented UnionFS. (UnionFS is sort of a filesystem merger, it consolidates two filesystems so it appears as one).

This is how I'd do it:

Code: Select all

mkdir /import
mv /c/Samples /import
mount -t unionfs -o dirs=/import/Samples none /c/Samples
this is the scenario where you don't have any USB drives connected.

now when you plug in your drive, you run the following in the usb hotplug script:

unionctl /c/Samples --add /c/usbdrive
(when plugging in)

unionctl /c/Samples --remove /c/usbdrive
(when disconnecting)

This actually would work with a FAT32 formatted USB drives as well as any other filesystem supported by the kernel.

Voila! I'd do it myself but I don't have the kernel sources so I can't compile any modules (maybe if the kind folks at Muse could make them avalible to me I'd love to give it a try, or at least compile the unionfs module for the current kernel and make it avalible). I could of course take the vanilla tree sources but then I'm not sure the sound modules would work.

Oh boy, got a bit technical =D, anyway, thanks for reading...

--
Olle Gustafsson

I would really love to have tacams GVI, the plugin version of giga studio, running on receptor, and also E-MU's Emulator X(2)... It would be so cool thank you... :)

Tap Tempo

I propose a third tempo mode - in addition to internal and external, how about a tap tempo mode where Receptor can listen to a MIDI CC source, allowing users to tap in the tempo from a programmable button on their MIDI controller, or momentary footswitch connected to a keyboard or MIDI control pedalboard. Perhaps even one of Receptor's front-panel buttons could become a tap-tempo button when this mode is selected.

This would be a great feature for live performance, especially for guitarists wanting to sync delay, modulation and looping EFX on the fly.

Brian

I'd like to propose two or three buttons on the setup page that let's you switch screen resolution. For all of us who use small screen TFT's and don't have sharp eyesight. This probably wouldn't take more than 10 minutes to add ;).

--
Olle Gustafsson

I also don't have a Receptor....wouldn't mind forking out that kind of money if they made it user upgradeable and did some real improvements to the unit and software...especially putting in VST's etc.

And have a more intuitive software, great pedal controls, easy upgradeability RAM and CPU...and of course latency issues with bigger banks…and support for VST/VSTi, MAS, DirectX, RTAS, SoundFont, DirectX, DXi, and Jesusonic.

Oh well...I guess I'll keep my computer and put my money there.
hopefully by Receptor version 2 or 3...they will have heard the customers needs and done something about it's market share as other companies will be on their heels...eating away at their profits and their customers.

I think it's a great thing these guys at Muse have done and they made a decent product…but there are problems and more improvements that are needed from a customer/user/producer perspective….but as customers/potential customers of this
type of product(s) there is plenty of room for some serious improvments..people have talked about them in here.

Hopefully Muse and their developers understand…this is a huge, multi-million/billion dollar music market...and Muse's competition wont be sitting back waiting for Receptor v2 box, they "the competition" probably had their teams taking the Muse receptor a part, piece by piece and reading what we the potential customers are saying and complaining about. They are probably already developing their own moderatly different solutions & ideas and figuring out even more ways to give us "the customers" what we want and need in the shortest time frame possible.

It's the laws of the jungle and there are many bigger lions and bears in that jungle that are bigger and stronger than Muse that's drooling to rip that juicy fresh side of meat from its grip and devour it for it's self.

Here is an easy example….Apple stole from IBM...Microsoft stole from Apple….Microsoft is now the King …same thing applies for little Muse….restricting it's customers from what "WE" want will only get them so far…frankly who really cares what Muses wants…when the next best thing comes out…We'll drop Muse and go there…
Why?...simple they gave us what we wanted so we could do what we needed to do.

The bottom line for Muse/Developers is give us what we want or pay the consequences for the lack of action...

After all, sooner or later...all good music equipment ends up in the junk bin of Ebay.

Tell the Muse company president THAT!!!!!

I do have a Receptor and while it is great in a lot of respects, I still have to drag along my laptop to play midi's with. I would like to use Synthfont, but cannot install the version with the midiplayer. Hence,I still have to have another computer. As a performer, I cannot configure every file to conform to Receptor's architecture.

I do have a Receptor and while it is great in a lot of respects, I still have to drag along my laptop to play midi's with.
Mmmm... I thought I could run a midi player inside Receptor. Did you try with other players? I'm just researching before buying...

Currently i just want to see Uniwire improved, especially for Sonar users. See the Uniwire Sonar thread.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Two really useful features I'd like, now that I have been working for a couple days tring to set up multis to do what almost worked with VStack: I want to have one piano loaded, e.g., JABB Steinway. I'd like to be able to tell it to play up one octave (which i can) in a limited range to C4 (which I can) on Midi Channels 4,5,6 and 11 only - which I can't. Enabling the Midi Filter Play on to select multiple channels would enable me to load multiple synths and other VSTis as lead instruments while having piano or electric piano mapped to the lower half of the keyboard.

The other really useful tool would be a midi monitor page that just shows the input data stream, like Midi-Ox or the old Kurzweill app did.

If these things can be done now, I'd like to know how...
Dasher
The Soundsmith
It's all about the music. I keep telling myself that...

Return to “Muse Research and Development”