Fast repeated notes in ManyBass - Tutorial now available

Official support for: manytone.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I've been searching the forum and the manual but I can't seem to find any info on where the velocity splits are. I'm doing rock and metal for the most part and play a lot of repeated notes. I always end up with "machine gun" sounding bass parts. I'm quite new to ManyBass but it would be nice with a tutorial on how to program MB to avoid these annoying, fake sounding bass lines. I know it's possible since I've heard an excellent demo song on ManyTone.com with fast repeated notes that sound great (http://www.manytone.com/music/manybassdemo3.mp3). :)
Even my ordinary 8th notes pump at 120-130 BPM sounds fake... :(
Thanks in advance.

Seriously... Am I the only MB user who occationally program AC/DC sounding bass lines (8th notes pump)? :D

Randomizing velocities helps, then you go and adjust them to make it fit the context of the song and gel with the other instruments around it.
Ashley Smith
CEO - MIX IT IN THE BOX
www.mixititb.com | www.seattleunderground.co.uk
Sound Engineer/Producer/Musician/Audio and Media Content Creator

What velocity values do you recommend I use, for the randomization? :)

I'm a big fan of Frank's MIDI plugins for the randomize/humanize stuff.

http://www.midi-plugins.de/

N.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

Thanks for your help so far. :)
Any other tricks you can think of?

does ManyBass have round robin?? (I don't have manybass - yet)

Oh, good idea for a tutorial! Sounds like that's next on the list. :)

RedWine
No, ManyBass doesn't have Round Robin. That's why I'm having trouble with repeated notes. ;)

WOW, Gregjazz, that'd be great!!! I assume you mean a tutorial on ManyBass.com?
How soon can we expect to read this new tutorial? ;)
I'm in desperate need of knowing this...

Frank's plugins look interesting, but it doesn't say if they work with other hosts than Cakewalk and Cubase?
The install asks to install the VST in Cubase's "components" folder, rather than the more usual "Steinberg/VST plugins" so I'm thinking it might not be a standard VST?

why dont you make a sequence, lowering the velocities in series, until you hear two different sample? then you write down the numbers. Its a 2 minutes job i guess.
but then again, it wont sound anything real. I had to buy a bass guitar for that exact reason. You can learn to play those simple patterns in a few weeks.

Hi BaldByChoice

Another trick is to use the staccato samples that are in the upper note range in conjunction with the normal notes. Vary back and forth between them and that makes for a less repetitive sound.

As Greg said though we will do a tutorial on this. Just let us get some things we are working on finished first. (New website and Launching the Fretless)

It should all go live this week. Then we'll look at doing a new tutorial.
Cheers
Paul

@manytone

Thank you. Unfortunately the staccato notes are too short when doing a song around 120 BPM. Anyway, looking forward to your tutorial after everything else is taken care of. :)

Any news on the tutorial?

Hi
Greg is working on it. I am sure he will give some info soon.
Cheers
Paul

Return to “Manytone Music”