2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

virtualpt wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: Just google Mary Bauermeister and you'll find lots of stuff. We're currently working on a digital catalogue/catalogue raisonné including all of her works which will take a year or two :)
Thanks Simon, look forward to that. Really loving her work, especially the untitled straws/wood pieces. I just need to release a platinum selling album, so that I can buy one :)
I recommend some soundsets of Patchpool for your album to bring in that platinum shimmer... :phones:

martinjuenke wrote:
virtualpt wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: Just google Mary Bauermeister and you'll find lots of stuff. We're currently working on a digital catalogue/catalogue raisonné including all of her works which will take a year or two :)
Thanks Simon, look forward to that. Really loving her work, especially the untitled straws/wood pieces. I just need to release a platinum selling album, so that I can buy one :)
I recommend some soundsets of Patchpool for your album to bring in that platinum shimmer... :phones:
LOL, thanks for the promo :party:

Has anybody got any tips for creating cool sci-fi-esque atonal sound FX with Kaleidoscope? I'm reasonably comfortable with melodic/harmonic typical resonator esque drones etc. now, but have struggled to achieve much interesting material with really short feedback, using the FIR mode, using non-harmonic tuning systems etc.

Hez wrote:Has anybody got any tips for creating cool sci-fi-esque atonal sound FX with Kaleidoscope? I'm reasonably comfortable with melodic/harmonic typical resonator esque drones etc. now, but have struggled to achieve much interesting material with really short feedback, using the FIR mode, using non-harmonic tuning systems etc.
In Waveform mode, most waveforms (apart from very basic ones) will create microtonal and atonal textures, unlesss you have many duplicates engaged. Also extracting tunings from atonal sounds like e.g. a factory drone or an abstract electronic texture using Melodyne's scale detective and then transferring the resulting numbers into a new tuning file via copy/paste so it can be used in Kaleidoscope yields very good results. A lot of manual work yet totally worth it.

4 instances of Kaleidoscope (two tempo-synced sequences, two pad textures), Input sources were various noise sources and processed/noisy speech samples, all tonality/rhythm comes from KS. Relayer, B2 and Reverbical are providing the space.

https://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/ ... -patchpool

and a single patch with modulated pink noise/machine noise as input source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KpzVGlX0wk

I either need some help finding the function or I have a feature request ..

I'd like the scanning to be triggered without being tied to the host transport. Something like a free running mode on first key press, with possibly a couple of re-trigger modes for subsequent key presses.

Still one of my absolute favorite plugins.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:I either need some help finding the function or I have a feature request ..

I'd like the scanning to be triggered without being tied to the host transport. Something like a free running mode on first key press, with possibly a couple of re-trigger modes for subsequent key presses.

It's in the Sync options at the upper right of the GUI (saved per patch) and in the preferences too (info screen), when set to free running, KS starts as soon as a signal is being sent into it.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:I either need some help finding the function or I have a feature request ..

It's in the Sync options at the upper right of the GUI (saved per patch) and in the preferences too (info screen), when set to free running, KS starts as soon as a signal is being sent into it.
To be more precise:

Timing mode, small arrow at the top right opens dropdown:

Image -> set to Internal.

and in the prefs you see the "Phase Lock":

Image -> set to Internal.

Sampleconstruct wrote:

Ah got it ... sort of. I didn't correlate phase lock with the scanner in preferences. However, if I have it set to host in preferences, the preset setting of "Internal BPM" doesn't start on the receipt of input. So, I didn't think that was the right setting. So, now I'm confused on the relationship of the patch setting vs the preference. Messing some more ....

what do you think of the idea of a "retrigger" option? I guess that would require MIDI input that doesn't exist in the plugin, or some sort of strange automation.

SJ_Digriz wrote:what do you think of the idea of a "retrigger" option? I guess that would require MIDI input that doesn't exist in the plugin, or some sort of strange automation.
Well if they add a Midi input for changing root notes and maybe controlling the filter via Midi in real time, a re-trigger option would be superb, it would transform KS even more into a synthesizer (which it already is now).

Sampleconstruct wrote: Well if they add a Midi input for changing root notes and maybe controlling the filter via Midi in real time
I was also thinking about the root note selector as a performance option. I guess filter automation works fine for me so far. But it certainly would turn it into a synth with mostly external oscillators, since it does have noise LOL.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: Well if they add a Midi input for changing root notes and maybe controlling the filter via Midi in real time
I was also thinking about the root note selector as a performance option. I guess filter automation works fine for me so far. But it certainly would turn it into a synth with mostly external oscillators, since it does have noise LOL.
Yep. Would be nice.
At least in Logic i can use the modifier to use velocity (or any other midi cc) to change the root note (or other automation parameters) and/or can modulate them with the modulator FX.
But of course you get a hell of clicks which i have to remove then.
Not sure if it would be possible without a quantum computer :D
MMhhh...it´s silent about 2CAudio....hopefully a good sign.
Still want my head to explode :borg:

Cinebient wrote: But of course you get a hell of clicks which i have to remove then.
Not sure if it would be possible without a quantum computer :D
I think we discussed this quite some time ago and based on my possibly flawed memory, you are correct and some of these automations were limited due to the noise incurred by rapid change. However, I was thinking a retrigger mode would not cause a "temportal" shift that would cause noise. Obviously I could be wrong on that.

Also, I still can't get free running to work on a patch only basis. So far I can only get it to work on a global basis.

We'd love to allow note selection etc in the future... "synth" and "interactivity" topics are very interesting to us. This is def a ripe area to explore and something that has been on the roadmap since day 1. Hopefully soon. Not within 2017 though, unfortunately as we had to finish something else first.

We did do a ton of work on new KS stuff this year that I hope to show you all in 2018. First something else though. We've been silent b/c we've been hard at work, yes, absolutely. :tu:

Return to “Effects”