Looking for a mixing plugins suite - basic plugins: eq, compressor, limiter, gate

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

For some time I'm thinking about jumping on some upper shelf mixing suite. Now I'm using mostly Voxengo stuff (Elephant, GlissEQ) and many different compressors - using ReaComp as my default one (and other if I need some color).

I was thinking about getting something better (EQ, compressor and limiter) mostly to stop my GAS :). I know that it sounds propably stupid - but I want stop thinking "I should buy better plugins" and start making music :help:. I would need a gate too - now I don't have any good gate plugin.

I was thinking about FabFilter Pro Bundle, because I like the UI and these plugins should really fit into my workflow...

What are other alternatives? I'm looking for plugins that give similar workflow - so I think rather suites of plugins - not single plugins from different devs. My budget is around $650.
Last edited by PALU on Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

done:

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/bun ... on-bundle/

trust me.

buy it from a reseller like jrrshop for a much better price.

Well within your budget.

OK - thanks :tu: . I have a problem with iZotope - for one how they cut the features on the Ozone update and the other thing is that I have BreakTweaker and Stutter Edit and they both are almost great. That "almost" worries me :).

I have some simplified version of Nectar and I don't like the workflow and hate the sound to be honest :scared: . But I always wanted to buy Thrash and I will try the demo of Alloy.

szalonykp wrote:...using ReaComp as my default one (and other if I need some color).
Man.. there's room for improvement there! Reacomp, for me, is on the bottom of the barrel unfortunately - much as I love Reaper and all it stands for... If you don't have any objection to Waves their collections are shockingly good value (they're always on sale pretty much).

http://www.waves.com/bundles/gold - $199 for 35 plugins

Well within your budget :party:
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Better than Elephant? Good luck. With that said, check out the Melda Productions mixing bundle. It's only sale for $300. I love it.

ckam03 wrote:Better than Elephant?
@ the op - Yeah, I would definitely keep hold of Elephant regardless of whatever else you buy ;)

do_androids_dream wrote: Man.. there's room for improvement there! Reacomp, for me, is on the bottom of the barrel unfortunately - much as I love Reaper and all it stands for... If you don't have any objection to Waves their collections are shockingly good value (they're always on sale pretty much).
I know, I know. I have Klanghelm's DC8C2 too, but while I dig the sound I just don't feel like using it. As far as workflow goes I like ReaComp.

I have Voxengo's Polysquasher, but it's a mastering comp and I'm using it as one.

As for Waves, you felt good :) - I don't like Waves plugins. I don't understand the licenses, bought something that expired, don't like the UIs.
do_androids_dream wrote:
ckam03 wrote:Better than Elephant?
@ the op - Yeah, I would definitely keep hold of Elephant regardless of whatever else you buy ;)
I have v2 of Elephant (it's v3 now, isn't it?). And I will keep it :) - as you write.

For me elephant doesn't hold a candle to ozone 7 limiter.

To the op, I'm not a huge fan myself of izotope tactics.. And removing tose features was very disappointing. That said I recommended the bundle for a few reasons. Nectar full version has one of the highest pitch shift quality in the business (radius) and had comps/great sounding deesser/saturation/best de breath possible, and much more. Elements is like a tiny shell of a shell of nectar producer bundle.

Alloy gives you good EQ, comps and wonderful transient designer as well as zero latency modes. Ozone 7 now has pultec EQ, dynamic EQ, tape emu, multi band dynamics , best limiter on the market IMO, and much more! Trash gives you delays, automated filter sweeps, distortion etc. insight gives you comprehensive metering. Nothing in waves gold can touch the quality of izotope except for the doubler (and metaflanger is a great sounding flange).
Melda to me are the GUIs of my nightmares even with every skin possible and colour combo tested. I find his algorithms to be truthful very standard. Just textbook stuff (IMO). The EQ is very annoying to use as you need to go into extra pages to choose filters and slopes, the analyser is the only plugin that makes my retina mac fans go like a Hoover, and so forth. His pitch shift isn't in the same league as nectar, not even close. The limiter, ditto. It's like after trying them so many times over the years, the reaper of plugins ie what reaper is to daws, melda is to plugins. Infinitely customizable with seemingly endless options but never being stellar in any one area. The flanger to me sounds positively awful if I am to be blunt. (For example).

Anyway for me, that izotope bundle is absolutely outstanding in every way, too of it's class especially where sound is concerned, and will give you cash left over to add a few more tidbits like maybe a couple modulation fx and a dedicated verb.

Btw it just goes to show how different we all are and how only a detailed demo can help. I notice waves being recommended, where as I think they only have two decent compressors in their entire lineup (the 2500 and pie). Which are not suitable for use on every style anyway. I think you could get best from waves gold by getting the musicians bundle with flanger/doubler/delay/renvox

For me, waves compressors actually don't behave like a proper compressor. The crossovers in c4 are terrible btw. Again the izotope multiband is far superior. Idk I just think gold is a bit of a useless bundle.

Btw the fabfilter option is always a good one too but pro l at least is in desperate need for an update.. You already have the edge there with elephant. But proq2, ds, mb are all outstanding.

szalonykp wrote: I was thinking about FabFilter Pro Bundle, because I like the UI and these plugins should really fit into my workflow...

What are other alternatives? I'm looking for plugins that give similar workflow - so I think rather suites of plugins - not single plugins from different devs. My budget is around $650.
The last thing I would do is try to talk someone out of the FabFilter Pro Bundle. Buy it, be happy, and get your music-making on. :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I have most of the Fabfilter plugins (bar the de-esser and gate - I have no use for them). Since I have them, I have never even considered getting another plugin in the same field, except for some more character plugins maybe, but only a few. It's just that good.

Ozone is probably closest in terms of quality, and when you want a suite.

cryophonik wrote: The last thing I would do is try to talk someone out of the FabFilter Pro Bundle. Buy it, be happy, and get your music-making on. :tu:
Amen brother! :D

I love my Fabfilter plugins.
Peace...
bluzkat

It's also worth mentioning (it really is..) - It's not about the plugins - Just to throw in the philosophical..

"but I want stop thinking "I should buy better plugins" and start making music :help:."

But what if you spend all your money and the same thoughts creep back..? You probably already have GREAT plugins - nearly all plugins, these days, are great. Think hard before parting with your cash and make sure to demo, demo, demo because sometimes it's the plugins you think you'll like the least that you end up using the most. Sometimes it's how the gui looks, how the knobs and sliders 'feel' when you use them (I really like ballistics that give simulated resistance, for example, like a heavy hardware knob) more than the sound. There's so many factors.. for instance you'll see Fabfilter get loads of praise around here but I tried them and didn't like them at all - I actually really didn't like the gui's - I found them complicated and busy and a real chore to use generally. But then I love the Waves gui's - which get plenty of stick.. Don't take our word for it - download all the demos and spend a good deal of time with them.

I dont know if this is an option for you but why not kill 2 birds and get Komplete. The softube compressors and effects are OK for mixing if you dont need surgical eqs.

I personally think the fabfilter bundle is overpriced. $580 for 6 plugins which includes an eq, gate, compressor, dessor, saturation and delay doesn't quite warrant that price but when you look at the individual prices, its a good deal, however those prices to me are a little over the top like Pro Q2. Given its never on sale, I think $130 is a better price for what it is.

The FabFilter bundle is fantastic, and well worth the money IMO. Pro-Q2 is my workhorse EQ for cuts, Pro-MB is great, Saturn is not just a saturation plug, but multiband with a number of great modes. I'm not big on Timeless due to the workflow and UI, but many love it as a delay. But, rather than going full bundle, why not perhaps mix and match - especially with a couple different channel strips - MetricHalo's strip is very functional. Softube makes some great comps and EQs, FabFilter, IK Multimedia, Slate. You could mix and match a number of these with each other to wind up with a much better overall package including character EQs and comps.

Return to “Effects”