DMGAudio TrackComp 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:28 pm How do those of you who have TrackComp find LA2 mode; because from my experience with it, either all other emulations I have missed the mark completely or Dave had a very peculiar specimen on his desk.

P.S. Happy holidays to Dave and Krzysztof, they did a great job this year.
I have a Stam SA-2A and got the LA-2A in TrackComp to match up pretty damn well to the hardware, but the attack and release times were both faster than the red indicator. So if you haven't tried yet, don't worry about going faster than the red lines.

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:28 pm How do those of you who have TrackComp find LA2 mode; because from my experience with it, either all other emulations I have missed the mark completely or Dave had a very peculiar specimen on his desk.
Dave modelled using the original schematics and then checked his work against hardware. We've also compared several other hardware examples, this led to some minor adjustments to the model when we first released TrackComp (that could have quite drastic effects on the sound in certain cases, as is the nature of non-linear circuits).

Anyone with an original LA-2A having trouble matching against TrackComp should contact us so we can investigate, but so far we've always found a way to match. Software emulations tend to lack many of the non-linearities of the original units, most HW clones are close enough that they're matchable. I'll try and get Dave to elaborate at some point.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season!

Scarlet Pumpernickel, here's a preset that gets the attack and release close to my Stam hardware clone. You'll see that the attack and release times are fast (at least according to the TrackComp GUI's ms readouts) but I think this setting gets very close to the hardware. Increase the input and compensate the output if you want more drive.

This was matched up in PluginDoctor so it's at least a pretty fair match on sine waves. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:08 pm Scarlet Pumpernickel, here's a preset that gets the attack and release close to my Stam hardware clone. You'll see that the attack and release times are fast (at least according to the TrackComp GUI's ms readouts) but I think this setting gets very close to the hardware. Increase the input and compensate the output if you want more drive.

This was matched up in PluginDoctor so it's at least a pretty fair match on sine waves. :lol:
Thank you for the preset. I tried it and if memory serves me, it does something closer to what Arturia's STA does (I demoed it when it first came out), which is quite good in itself. Still I wasn't able to make it do what, say BRA VLA2A does for me. For example, sometimes I like to use it in limit mode on the drum bus, where it treats the transients gracefully but also can nudge drums "into groove".

What I find interesting, TrackComp in LA2 mode seems to apply GR gradually, it takes a few seconds to reach a full range of GR, where said VLA2A does the opposite: it applies full GR right from the start and then backs off slowly.

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:10 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:08 pm Scarlet Pumpernickel, here's a preset that gets the attack and release close to my Stam hardware clone. You'll see that the attack and release times are fast (at least according to the TrackComp GUI's ms readouts) but I think this setting gets very close to the hardware. Increase the input and compensate the output if you want more drive.

Thank you for the preset. I tried it and if memory serves me, it does something closer to what Arturia's STA does (I demoed it when it first came out), which is quite good in itself. Still I wasn't able to make it do what, say BRA VLA2A does for me. For example, sometimes I like to use it in limit mode on the drum bus, where it treats the transients gracefully but also can nudge drums "into groove".

What I find interesting, TrackComp in LA2 mode seems to apply GR gradually, it takes a few seconds to reach a full range of GR, where said VLA2A does the opposite: it applies full GR right from the start and then backs off slowly.
That's the danger of comparing to plugins when talking about hardware emulations. The BLA-2A wasn't universally loved upon release with people not liking the timing of the unit and feeling like it pumps too much. I'd encourage you to look for the original threads here and on Gearslutz but I'm pretty sure I'm not making that up (as faulty as memory can be). I demoed it but didn't end up buying it, which is rare for me :lol: .

Instead of trying to make the TrackComp LA-2A do what the BLA-2A does, why not treat them like different units and use each for it's strengths. If you like the pump of the BLA-2A on drums, go for it. If you want to send me a mono file and a target amount of GR, I can render it through my hardware clone. That could give you an idea as to how much a hardware clone will pump and move and what it does tonally.

[/quote]
That's the danger of comparing to plugins when talking about hardware emulations. The BLA-2A wasn't universally loved upon release with people not liking the timing of the unit and feeling like it pumps too much. I'd encourage you to look for the original threads here and on Gearslutz but I'm pretty sure I'm not making that up (as faulty as memory can be). I demoed it but didn't end up buying it, which is rare for me :lol: .
[/quote]

Thing is, VLA2A, CLA2A and GemCompLA all give me similar results (at least functionally), while TrackComp doesn't; hence the reason, I brought it up in the first place.

[/quote]
Instead of trying to make the TrackComp LA-2A do what the BLA-2A does, why not treat them like different units and use each for it's strengths.
[/quote]

That's always a good approach.

[/quote]
If you like the pump of the BLA-2A on drums, go for it. If you want to send me a mono file and a target amount of GR, I can render it through my hardware clone. That could give you an idea as to how much a hardware clone will pump and move and what it does tonally.
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, but there's really no need; besides with 1-3 dB of GR and parallel processing there's not much pumping going on.

EDIT: sorry for the formatting, I was trying to quote Funkybot's Evil Twin.

Scarlet,
Here's how you do it - copy this and paste it back in to yours ;)

Thing is, VLA2A, CLA2A and GemCompLA all give me similar results (at least functionally), while TrackComp doesn't; hence the reason, I brought it up in the first place.
Instead of trying to make the TrackComp LA-2A do what the BLA-2A does, why not treat them like different units and use each for it's strengths.
That's always a good approach.
If you like the pump of the BLA-2A on drums, go for it. If you want to send me a mono file and a target amount of GR, I can render it through my hardware clone. That could give you an idea as to how much a hardware clone will pump and move and what it does tonally.
Thanks for the offer, but there's really no need; besides with 1-3 dB of GR and parallel processing there's not much pumping going on.
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

I'm thinking of purchasing TrackComp 2, but am wondering if there's anything it can't do that TrackLimit can?

\RU wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:10 am I'm thinking of purchasing TrackComp 2, but am wondering if there's anything it can't do that TrackLimit can?
Completely different units, compressor and limiter. One is packed with some great emulations, might be the only compressor you'll ever need, the other is a simplified single-band version of Limitless, which treats transients and dynamics separately, absolutely incredible little limiter for tracks or even for master bus. So you should have both

Just testing TrackComp today and I'm blown away by its sound...

I wonder if we'll see Compassion v2.

After buying TrackComp 2 today here is video, checking out the plug-in with some of my Tremor beats, testing most of the compressor models, tweaking things on the fly, dialing in mostly extreme settings to hear how and when it distorts, it does get loud at times, so beware!

https://youtu.be/uXVhS-tN4Eg

^ don't forget that you have OS options especially when using extreme settings.. Awesome compressor plugin! :tu:

3ee wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:35 pm ^ don't forget that you have OS options especially when using extreme settings.. Awesome compressor plugin! :tu:
I liked Dave's quote in the manual, something like "we did anything possible that you won't hear a difference when using oversampling" - OS would have killed the video as it's pretty CPU intense and Tremor already is a CPU hog. But usually I would bounce tracks with some OS engaged though I will check out, wether I hear a difference.

Its a very flexible tool, useful for a broad range of applications.

Return to “Effects”