ToneBoosters E.Q.4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TB Equalizer v4

DeathByGuitar wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:23 am I don't think online activation is a hassle at all as you only ever have to do it once. Not a big deal. No hardware dongle or licensing program necessary. That's better than a lot of companies these days.

Anyway, I just bought this after the latest update which really sealed the deal for me with the addition of custom color schemes, grid lines and some other UI niceties

I feel like this could have benefited from a longer beta period but at least some of these long-standing suggestions/complaints are getting addressed. At $45 USD it's 1/4th of the price of Pro-Q 2 but with enough features to satisfy a majority of people, IMO. I made a pretty thorough list of suggestions on the Facebook page about it but Jeroen's commitment to improving his products post-release won me over.
It really is no hassle at all. Don't see the big deal tbh. Buy it. Get key. Use key. Done. Have never needed to put in the key after initial purchase. Post-release improvement isn't always a big priority with a lot of companies. I have quite a few D16 products, and they never update. Haven't had any problems with their stuff, but even listening to some suggestions from customers is a big plus. I like to believe that the "Snap to Zero" option was put in there because I was whining about it the node snapping to zero, couple weeks back :D . I put TB up there with Uhe as far as fixing problems and popping in these forums to read user feedback.

spigmu wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:53 am I have my wifi off on my DAW computer right now (as it is 90% of the time) and EQ4 and every other tb plugin work just fine, as it always has.
Of course (since this has to be done only once), but what if you want to activate the license on a new computer and the TB servers are no more operating? With small companies like TB this is definitely possible (I have seen quite a few disappear without taking care. Kjaerhus is just one example.)

The key question is "will I be able to install this on a new laptop if the dev is hit by a bus?"

Larger companies get more leeway on this because they are (generally) more robust against unexpected circumstances.

imrae wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:10 pm The key question is "will I be able to install this on a new laptop if the dev is hit by a bus?"

Larger companies get more leeway on this because they are (generally) more robust against unexpected circumstances.
This would be the downside of requiring initial server contact, but at $30(now $40) per plugin, it would have been a great run for me. I’ll take my chances. Once he is hit by a bus and servers go down, I’ll drop 4x the price on something similar.

**Edit**

Good to see dev confirming, down below, that there is no need to worry.
Last edited by Butwug on Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My music computer is offline.I just uninstalled an older version of my TB plugs and installed the new one. The validation window looks newer but I was able to enter activation codes successfully for both the Equalizer and Barricade. Should be all good.

imrae wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:10 pm The key question is "will I be able to install this on a new laptop if the dev is hit by a bus?"

There is no reason for concern. Even if the internet would experience a world wide crash, your Toneboosters licenses will continue to work.

But many of your other software installations might not.... ;-)

The copy protection we have in place always had continuity of service as a priority. We do understand concerns about this sort of things, and this is why the system has been designed to accommodate this.

The type of authentication used by Toneboosters is used by many plugins. At the end of the day it comes down to their ability to keep their licensing servers online. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Chance something could happens, but seems unlikely in my eyes. I work in the business. Can't say for sure Toneboosters have there shit together but they've also given no reason to not trust them on it.

rageix wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:32 am At the end of the day it comes down to their ability to keep their licensing servers online.

It's weird that you post that right after the developer himself stated that this is not the case - and he even wrote that right after a user who explained that he managed to active a current TB plugin version without any internet access.

That's how false rumours spread - people ignoring contradicting facts even if they are right in front of them.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

AKJ wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:02 pm Toneboosters seems to have introduced challange-response copy protection without notice to the users. I am not amused (introduced with V1.2.5?). Obviously, there are also a plans for subscription based licensing (as the new eula suggests).
Not true at all, even the Dev (djeroen) responded to confirm this.
As a test, I deleted \AppData\Roaming\Toneboosters in order to have reactivate four V4 plug-ins using the latest build (1.2.8.), this was done successfully without a internet connection.

You just need your details from 2Checkout at hand.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

jens wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:48 am
rageix wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:32 am At the end of the day it comes down to their ability to keep their licensing servers online.

It's weird that you post that right after the developer himself stated that this is not the case - and he even wrote that right after a user who explained that he managed to active a current TB plugin version without any internet access.

That's how false rumours spread - people ignoring contradicting facts even if they are right in front of them.
Yup, he just explained. “If the internet experienced a worldwide crash, your Toneboosters licenses will continue to work.” Nuff said. End of story. On to discussing the plugin.

I tried using the mid/side option as I’ve never used it before. I usually cut out a bit in 200-350range to cut out mud on master. Used the mid option and it sounded much better on one of the songs. Tried same on another and side option sounded better. Dope.

Not exactly sure about when to use mid/side but glad this EQ has the option. I need to read up on it.

Two common examples: on the master, set a high shelf to side and boost to add width. You can also set a high pass filter to side to help make the low end mono.

Quick access to mid side and compression features, unlike similar products that require accessing a separate menu.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

djeroen wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:15 am Equalizer v4.1.7 is now out:

Improved visibility and contrast of various user interface elements
Double click in the lower-left corner will now automatically initalize a high-pass filter
Double click in the upper-left corner will now automatically initialize a low-shelf filter
Double click in the lower-right corner will now automatically initialize a low-pass filter
Double click in the upper-right corner will now automatically initialize a high-shelf filter
Improved frequency resolution of integrated spectrum analyzer
Higher-order filters now apply auto make-up gain to the signal path if enabled
New spectral tilt filter added
Lasso can now convey mouse wheel movement to all selected sections
Improvement in GUI drawing performance for dynamic sections
Fantastic update (4.1.6 a few days before as well)!

Bought at v4.1.5, it's almost like a different product with the new features (including convenience items). Well done!

TommyC81 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:55 pm Fantastic update (4.1.6 a few days before as well)!

Bought at v4.1.5, it's almost like a different product with the new features (including convenience items). Well done!
Thanks! We're working on some exciting new features for EQ4 to be made available fairly soon! stay tuned :-)

Butwug wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:51 am Not exactly sure about when to use mid/side but glad this EQ has the option. I need to read up on it.
It's quite useful for working on mono compatibility. I once had a piano track with lots of reverb that became considerably darker when summed to mono; was able to reduce the effect by cutting the highs in sides and boosting them in mono.

Return to “Effects”