Which for track-EQ duties?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got PSP Neon and MasterQ in the recent sale, but I'm a newbie when it comes to mixing. Which should I use for EQing individual tracks in my mix? Neon is linear phase and I guess MasterQ isn't(?).
A well-behaved signature.

Neon is linear phase and I guess MasterQ isn't(?).
Yeah, that seems right.
Which should I use for EQing individual tracks in my mix?
That's up to you, here's something to help you decide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8gazW-gCds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efKabAQQsPQ
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Thanks, helpful info. My ears can't really hear much of a difference a lot of the time... could be the shitty phone speakers.

JerGoertz wrote:I got PSP Neon and MasterQ in the recent sale, but I'm a newbie when it comes to mixing. Which should I use for EQing individual tracks in my mix? Neon is linear phase and I guess MasterQ isn't(?).
If you are a newbie i honestly suggest not to dive in to anything other then your DAW stock effect plugins, unless you really need it and know you need it and your DAW does not have it something like glitch fx, heavy multiband distortion, maximiser ect.

If you dont know what these EQs to use for and when you definatly dont need it :)

But if you really think you need an EQ, look nothing other then Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 on sale or not, hands down best and most versitile eq :)

Regged since 2004 and still a newb at mixing? I'd say Neon - in PSP Neon Mix mode. Check the manual if you don't know what that is.

AND, you already got 2 great eq's, do you need more? Just milk them!

bbtr wrote:Regged since 2004 and still a newb at mixing? I'd say Neon - in PSP Neon Mix mode. Check the manual if you don't know what that is.

Lol, where did I say anything about needing more? I'm more than happy to just work with these 2 for now. ;) I was just making music for myself for a while and didn't care about levels, balance, etc., but now I'm releasing an album, so gotta think of the audience and all that.

JerGoertz wrote:
bbtr wrote:Regged since 2004 and still a newb at mixing? I'd say Neon - in PSP Neon Mix mode. Check the manual if you don't know what that is.

Lol, where did I say anything about needing more? I'm more than happy to just work with these 2 for now. ;) I was just making music for myself for a while and didn't care about levels, balance, etc., but now I'm releasing an album, so gotta think of the audience and all that.
The other poster said. On Bandcamp or EMI? Have a demo?

I want to release on Bandcamp, but I'm open to suggestions. No demo, I don't want to "release into the wild" stuff which is totally incompetently mixed (which is what it is right now).

Good luck then. Mixing is not easy at all...

JerGoertz wrote:could be the shitty phone speakers.
Wait, what? Phone speakers? Now that's where you need to spend your money: Get some real speakers. :)

JerGoertz wrote:... could be the shitty phone speakers.
Just might be :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside... These are the kind of things that you will only really develop an appreciation for and hear properly in a controlled monitoring environment with some decent speakers.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I would just use your DAW stock eq for most eq duties. It's likely to be very low cpu as well.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:I would just use your DAW stock eq for most eq duties. It's likely to be very low cpu as well.

^^^this. If you're mixing on phone speakers and are asking which of two plugins you should use for a generic duty based on sound, then it probably matters MUCH less than you think that it does.

I choose products for this task based largely on workflow. With respect to that, I like iZotope Neutron, but, not for it's fancy auto-eq magic, simply because it puts common track features into a nice interface and I think that it flows nicely.

I usually use Neon in standard mode for mixing (when i use Neon, that is.) There’s no way you will hear the difference using crap playback equipment. Next purchase should be monitors.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Lol, guys, I'm not trying to mix on phone speakers. :lol: That comment was in reference to watching the videos Zexila posted. I've got some Adam A7's, though may get mixcube or something comparable (non-ported).

Return to “Effects”