Rare Signals - Transatlantic Plate Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can't believe that there's still no thread about this überfantastic plate reverb here.

https://www.raresignals.com/

I don't think that there is a more realistic pure plate reverb out there. CPU isn't exactly low, but very low in comparison to the sound. And the gui is just gorgeous, well thought and functional.

And the developer interacts with the customers in a good way over at the slutz

maybe because their audio examples are non-existent, and after requesting a demo i am still waiting for it to arrive.

Is it reverb frenzy lately?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

It says $149 and I already have billions of reverb plug-ins.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Code: cheapslutz
takes it down to $99, but perhaps too little too late really.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It sounds good, but what's under the hood?
144MB for a VST...?
LilPlate is only 39MB. Surely this ain't just entirely algorithmic?

It doesn't use that much CPU really, but there are a few gripes.
On the Macbook Pro, the goofy-ass Decay knob flies all over the show even with a shift click, annoying and impossible to make small adjustments. The LEVEL of the processed audio is about 10-12dB too loud by default (at 0 i mean).
There doesn't appear to be a way to switch off the animation thingy.

Overall, for $99 on sale, it just doesn't feel right. More of a GearSlutz thing maybe :P
I think we'd all be better off just chasing down ONE really good convolution set and saving it as default in any regular schmo IR reverb plugin. It's a nice trick, but one-trick pony none-the-less.

Sounds great, don't get me wrong. But $149... derp. $49 maybe.
Over to YOU Elton ;)

oh, one interesting thing i did notice, is that it seems to compliment the SP2016 Plate very nicely, on the EU setting. The SP2016 covering the low-end and some powder, while the strong mid-range of the TAP verb really is lush... I left them both open on 2 different sends kinda by accident, and it just sounded so good, i had to just let the loop play for a while and soak up the reverberated goodness. pretty dope.

sqigls wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:40 pm It sounds good, but what's under the hood?
144MB for a VST...?
LilPlate is only 39MB. Surely this ain't just entirely algorithmic?
On the Gearslutz thread the developer mentions that it's IR based - but not just straight convolution. So yeah, not entirely algorithmic indeed.

This is not a flavor of the day plugin.

Game-changer plate reverb with jaw-dropping quality.

IR-based but without artificially manipulating the tail length
on purpose to retain authenticity.

Give the demo a spin.

Discount coupon ends in a week from today.
The Gearslutz folks virtually forced the developer into a intro sales
extension because of all the buzz there.

buzz don't mean shit sorry.
There's a "game changer" born every minute.

This verb aint no game changer. I've demoed it, it's nice, but it comes across as an IR verb, and all the stuff i pointed out in my above post... Jaw dropper it ain't also. It sounds good. but the hype is just silly. $149 for essentially an IR verb containing 2 different sets and some filters attached. Let's not go there. Save it for the Geartardz.

At this price, it might end up in Elton John's studio.

Seemingly, it’s not overly compatible with FL Studio, in case anyone uses that. Although the dev has expressed interest in fixing it. Just FYI to test it thuroughly before buying.

sqigls wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:54 pm buzz don't mean shit sorry.
There's a "game changer" born every minute.

This verb aint no game changer. I've demoed it, it's nice, but it comes across as an IR verb, and all the stuff i pointed out in my above post... Jaw dropper it ain't also. It sounds good. but the hype is just silly. $149 for essentially an IR verb containing 2 different sets and some filters attached. Let's not go there. Save it for the Geartardz.
Ok I get it. You find it expensive at $99 intro price. The interface bugs you.
You despise the opinions of numerous people at GS that swear by it (including many pro engineers
known for years for not pushing bs there). You think that because many products are hyped, that every high quality product to be introduced, ever, will not be worthy of high praise. And the 145 MBs of disk space it takes offends you. Got all of that.

Regarding sound, however, since you claim that it is not top of the heap material,
surely you can name 3 plate reverbs that are better. Could you please
name a few? I would be extremely interested in better plate reverbs than the Rare Signals one.

Many of the people at Gearslutz are actually KVR members as well.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:27 pm Many of the people at Gearslutz are actually KVR members as well.
Sure, but sqigls doesn't seems like the authority on reverbs at either site.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Return to “Effects”