VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
STARK - Amp Simulator

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/klevgrand ... -ios-44724

Nice price and look - anyone tried it?

I did....
ymmv,
It lasted 20 minutes before I deleted it.
rsp
sound sculptist

I think it's pretty nice... the sound is very good and very versatile. You certainly can get a lot of really nice amp-sounds out of it. What's imo missing is a spring-reverb and sync for the delay. What is nice is that its easy to get super-old sounding tones from it due to some of the amp- and cabinet-models.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Spring reverb would certainly be a logical addition

Spring Reverb or not I think it will be rather impossible for me to resist, even though I own a bootload of really good amp plugins. It's just too nice to get that much versatility with such a nice sound via such a compact and pretty interface.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Posting just because I'm interested in your opinions about it. :tu:

I haven't gotten into playing with it yet, not enough time, and I wonder if it's worth it. I hate complicated plugins like Amplitube that is 95% work of graphic designers. I prefer 95% DSP designer's work, and don't care about the look, just quality sound.

Thank you, Jens. Your opinion matters to me. :)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Gee, it is very nice, isn't it! versatile too! :phones:

Yeah, I like the simplicity and versatility of this, and like all their products the graphic design is also great. Might have to get it before the sale expires. Stuff like Amplitude for me is overkill and I hate the IK approach to plugins being an open-ended shop window and never fully yours - only other amp I have is Guitar Rig but it's getting old so I was looking for a reasonable alternative.

The GUI is nice. It's kinda CPU hungry. The pedals are just OK. The Amp models are on the warm side which are nice but don't sound as good as some of the competitors. They don't distort all that much, so if you wanna do metal, skip it.

I appreciate that they have presets for things besides guitar. It can sound nice on keys and certain synths. I have plenty of plugins that do the same things better so I am gonna pass.

Playing using the higher gain presets, it didn't excite me. Sounded plasticy and unnatural. Probably cleans and slightly overdriven stuff would be better, but cranked up it didn't sound great - to me anyway. I'd rather put my money elsewhere.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

I certainly appreciate the fact it doesn't look like a fake 3d guitar amp like seemingly every other ampsim out there. I think it has some nice sounds in there, a bit boxy generally I found but maybe more natural, not as processed as others. Found I liked the garage sale amp the most but I guess that's just my like of quirk .:) So, yeah, not bad, great GUI and usability, will need to play with it more to see if I can find my sound in there.

I like it a lot, it has a different feel to the other amp simulators I've used, feels easier to tweak - possibly just really solid visual design.

Liked it enough that I picked up the iOS version too, and that's a little too CPU heavy - maxes out the CPU if I use more than one instance in Cubasis. Will still be good for playing on headphones but I hope they make some CPU improvements so it's more useful for mobile recording.

I never expect Klevgrand products to be a straight take on whatever category they are in. Klevgrand goes sideways from the usual, Stark is no different. That's why I bought it - it has a really strange fun sound. It's not middle-of-the-road amp sim but is still musical and useful for a different amp sim sound than the usual. That's my take on it anyway... :phones:

I’m still on the fence about this one to be honest. I found it hard to get a good sense of it from the demo mode with the silence, but there seemed to be enough good stuff in there and I loved the sounds in the demo video that I ended up just buying it for the intro price.

It’s still early days, but my initial thoughts are:

(1) So far, I like the clean and light breakup much better than the high gain stuff (the stuff they did in the demo sounds lovely). The high gain presets in particular are really noisy and not my thing.
(2) I dislike the big volume jumps when you change presets or switch out models.
(3) I’m not a fan of the effects in general, and the reverb in particular. As people have said, a good spring reverb would have been much nicer to have than the one included (particularly since one of the modules already models room space). None of the effects so far strikes me as fantastic.
(4) I’m still not sure what to do with the stereo spread module. So far, I seem to like almost it almost all the way down or all the way up. Many of the in between settings start sounding boxy and unnatural to my ears.
(5) The same goes with the room module, so far I tend to want the mix setting very low, or it can get boxy and unnatural.

Taking everything into account, my overall impression so far is:

(1) you can get some really great sounds out of this if you know where to set everything (as evidenced by the gorgeous demo sounds!). It’s not however the case that things sound great across a wide spectrum of the dials.
(2) the base models are where this thing truly shines for me. I like the British voicings a lot, and I’ve gotten some beautiful stuff by just messing with that voicing, turning off the effects, using little in the way of stereo spread or room sound and running it into third party effects (particularly the UAD EM140 plate, and/or SoundToys Decapitator and EchoBoy).

I hope that they will continue to upgrade this, particularly the effects. I don’t think I would recommend it at the full price and I’m on the fence at the intro price, since to me it sounds best when external effects do some of the heavy lifting. Just my 2-cents, YMMV.

I haven't had a chance to listen on good speakers yet but what I've heard so far really stands out from the crowd.
I'm very eager to demo this. I think this is finally something that is catering to a demographic of guitarists that have been long overlooked. That is those looking for nice thick clean tones with a lot of character. It seems like most of the stuff released is aimed at either the modern metal crowd or the 90's never ended, Foo Fighters were the last great rock band scene.

Return to “Effects”