Quick question on iLok license transfers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was looking up how to transfer licenses via iLok and I noticed this bit listed under their requirements: "A license may not be transferred within 90 days of being deposited or from an account that is less than 90 days old."

Does referring to a license being "deposited" mean when a new license is bought and added, or is it referring to a license that was itself recently transferred from another user?

What I really need to know is:

Does this mean I have to keep a plugin for 90 days before I can sell it and transfer its iLok license?

Yes. You have to keep it for 90 days.

$%#@^*$&(^#$%@$%^@&#* iLok!!!

Don't know why that posted twice...

AFAIK native instruments has the same thing.

Don't see why that's a problem.
I demo my stuff.
If I buy I give it more than 90 days to play around with it.

Calenberger wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:37 pm Don't see why that's a problem.
I demo my stuff.
If I buy I give it more than 90 days to play around with it.
I can understand the frustration if you are suddenly desperate for money, but otherwise it seems not a bad protection against scamming (I think that is what people have pointed out)

^ I think having a "freeze" period is always helpful and can only lead to fewer scams and less abuse. But sometimes a purchase can turn out to be regrettable, even if at the time there was no way of knowing it might turn out that way. Things can change overnight, so wanting to resell something you've bought is not that uncommon. I don't know what an appropriate amount of days would be acceptable, but outside of music, even 7 days seem to have a grand effect on scams, so pushing it to 3 months might be somewhat excessive in some peoples eyes.
Take care :wink:

Well, this was sort of an impulse buy. I ran across an ad for the sale with only a few hours left, demoed the plug and found it had potential, so I bought it on the strength of that first impression. It didn't really disappoint me, it just turned out to not really be a good fit, which I would normally find out through more thorough demoing before purchase.

DustnMelodies wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:01 am AFAIK native instruments has the same thing.
NI is 60 days and I've heard that's just an automatic feature of their system. You can still message support and ask for the transfer to be done manually within that time frame.

If I've recently received a license that's been transferred from someone else, can I transfer it to someone else in less than 90 days?

No

Return to “Effects”