New ampsim from Muramasa: Electrum

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GaryG wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:30 am Some devs have said a major part of support work is all the stuff around the DSP code so, just maybe, some are happy to use his framework in the same way devs use (eg) Juce instead of coding everything from scratch..?

Yes, exactly - only that Juce is less idiosyncratic and more widely used, open /transparent and has an active development of its own - and yet you wouldn't force an experienced developer to switch over to it just like that if that isn't his own deliberate choice. Plus there is barely any background info regarding the individual assumed developers, their experience, past endeavours etc.

it's all so bloody obvious - I want to sell you guys something too! :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:11 am
Ploki wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:12 pm Isnt it only the framework
I don't buy that for a second - how would that work? Every experienced coder who wants to join them must agree to abandom whatever IDE he/she is used to and henceforth use Vojtech's personal, highly idiosynctratic one instead? Why would that be a requirement to join United Plugins in the first place? And how many experienced audio DSP programmers would be willing to accept this and why would they? And most of them are Czech too (and from the same region)? Seriously? :lol:
framework and IDE are different things. you can write code for any framework using any IDE. and DSP code is usually framework-independent.

It doesn't matter if you're experienced coder or not, coding things like parameter editing, GUI interaction, preset management and recall, automation etc. still takes time, and vast majority of devs roll their own. From that point of view, learning whatever Melda has is roughly equivalent to learning JUCE, which a lot of devs use, except JUCE doesn't provide nearly enough stuff Melda framework appears to be (e.g. there's no licensing system, no advanced preset management, etc.). so agreeing to use the Melda framework would actually be an advantage for a small developer who can't be bothered to roll their own. just look at how much time it takes for someone like Klanghelm or TDR to "upgrade their code framework" and how much it slows down the development and update process.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Hi All!

Well, I picked this up a few days ago to add to the collection. I seem to collect amp sims like I collect piano samples. :) Just like the myriad of piano samples, the amp sims all have their place. As a suite of guitar friendly device packed into one (easy to use) interface, I have to say this gets high marks for all the stuff in there and its handi-ness. Nice compressor options, good delays, reverbs and a few ways to 'stereo-ize' the gtr signal (there is a stereo feature in the cab section + a doubler effect).

The amp sims are pretty decent as well. Big range of controls and tweakability (sag, comp, corrosion!!,frequency emphasis, etc) . It compares favorably to my current fave of the STL tones amp hub. My faves in electrum so far are:

- the Blue amp does is pretty darn clean but can get into crunch territory.
- the Yellow amp has been my all round favorite. Doesn't go all the way clean, but that's okay by me.

I'm still working thru the others... the orange has a mid range buzziness that I have to dial out. I will say that all of them are very responsive to pick attack and reacting to lowered input gain, etc.

Not a real fan of the modulation fx, but that could just be me.... I rarely reach for chorus or flange anyway.

The cab section is okay. I think that's the achilles heel for most of the sims anyway, so its not a knock against this one. A good cross section of selections. Again, clever tools with the cab... a tilt filter, ambience control (way cool really) and a character setting to get some more variation. Though I feel these impart some phasiness to the sound... YMMV. I will often use the ML Mikko Cab sim if not using built in cab sims. Or I feel like torturing myself, I will dive into my many cab IR's.

Overall, I am quite please with the purchase and will find use right away. I have to say that the early demos I saw/heard did not do this justice at all. I think the default amp is that 'orange' amp..... Anyhow, I was able to get tones I liked very quickly and that's what's important. :)

Imo it sounds rather cheap and just digital, especially in hi-gain. Definitely don't think it'll be worth the 150 bucks. And I think they know that seeing that intro pricing.

Version 1.1 is out (and the price went up 39 euros) and if you can find anything anywhere that says what has been changed, you're way ahead of me.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Return to “Effects”