KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC11 June 2015 - winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Will be downloading all entries shortly, + will be uploading my version on the mix for this competition as well (of course it's just for fun, not trying to take your prizes away :hihi: ) Compy, did you manage to do one? :) How's Studio One so far?

OK guys, here's my mix, hope you like it: https://app.box.com/s/k6pssuewitbdsgygwqq34cgcqatlr0zi

Compared with the original mix, the new one is more detailed and organic. might get someone to do a pro master session...

Did you do anything else to it, other than the usual EQ and level adjustment?

hebb wrote:Did you do anything else to it, other than the usual EQ and level adjustment?
Yeah, tons actually... from pitch shifters, compression and saturation/distortion, transient shaping to chorus/flanging/phaser/delays/(spring)reverbs ...anything needed to change the sound for a "better" mix.

The one thing that really stood out as important recent discovery - is that NI Driver is a great saturation/distortion tool for bass. It won't replace Waves RBass in some cases but it's simply awesome if used right.

Update on the process of selecting mixes for the 2nd round (Yes, there will be a 2nd round! ) :)

I'm pleased to say that there are mixes I think surpassed my new mix in some respects, so that means I'm in trouble cause I though mine would be the best :hihi: ... interesting how a simple A/B can reveal so much and how important -reference- tracks are when mixing = they should instantly let you know where you're off quilter. Looks like I'll also be revising my mix :D

1st of all, :clap: thank you everyone for part-taking in this KVR MC, it's very interesting for me to check out all these different mixes... (even mixes that I know won't make it into the 2nd round, impressed me in some respects... so kudos for that! :tu: )

My short list is down to 7 out of 16 mixes and it's getting tougher.

Within the next days (hopefully before the weekend so you can schedule more easily) I'll have the nominations for the 2nd round along with feedback on both the selections as well as few other mixes...

Cheers"
3ee

And finalists are...

Kolyev
Davias
bManiac
Mehr212
nineofkings

will return with feedback shortly
Last edited by 3ee on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

feedback for the 3 mixes:
PS shortcut to my new mix for reference: https://app.box.com/s/k6pssuewitbdsgygwqq34cgcqatlr0zi

Kolyev:

-Intro claps sound a bit odd especially in contrast to the kick clique.. either you filter both or don't filter the clap so much or whatever you think works...
-the wood percs seem a bit more upfront than I would like them... try cutting some freqs instead of volume decrease, maybe that would do the trick.
-hats are OK but could use a tiny bit more chunk in the mid to upper mid area maybe? ... please take my new mix as reference a bit, if they would seem a bit too loud after processing a simple volume decrease might do the trick.
-bass might have a touch too much low-mid to mid freqs? or it gives that impression because it's stereo wide in that region...
-sturdy synth needs to be higher in level, might need a bit of EQ adjustments after that...
-the fills track is too loud/upfront...

Great mix! :tu:

-----------------------------------

Davias:

-overall sound a bit too aggressive (maybe the processing on the clap is fully responsible for this? ) also the volume seems a bit too upfront.
-bass have a bit more lower-mids to mids than needed...
-stab, right when it's hitting it needs to be more wet'n'punchy, try a dark yet fairly long reverb send, please refer to my new mix...
-wood percs a bit too upfront
-fills track too upfront...
-conga loop too upfront (at least within the break)
-the main part overall sounds harshy, now I know that it was a bit of a challenge to fit so many instruments with similar freqs but it can be done, maybe the overly aggressive clap forced you to compensate the other elements like the gata and/or the sturdy synth. Also the main part sounds a bit narrow but not sure why atm...

-------------------------------------

bManiac:

From the start, mix sounds a bit too aggressive with less dynamics than needed. a bit like it was mastered... not really what we're looking for! after more than 10 years producing similar music, I know how these mixes (without mastering) should sound like, so you didn't have to master, or mix-master hybrid whatever...

-kick a bit too chunky in the mids and a bit too colored (have you used phase-altering plugins like MB-compression, cabinets or phase rotators? try for -a bit- deeper kick with some mid scoops not to sound that chunky
-electronic percs a bit too upfront
-Bass seems to have real problems VS kick, try phase invert or something to make it more defined/solid
-hats may be a bit too upfront or the tone is -a bit- too aggressive.

--------------------------------------

Mehr212:

-electronic percs too upfront and/or some low-mid to mid freqs are sticking out too much.
-clap has an extra mid freq sheen that I don't particularly like that much. try cutting within the mid freqs to make it less "glossy" ...seem to me that instead of the clap, try working on the vocal loop layer that has some snare/clap in it instead...
-bass a tiny bit wider in the low freqs than I wish
-sturdy synth needs to be more upfront and possibly wider/wetter

--------------------------------------

nineofkings:

-intro: the clap to snare-layer from one of the vox loops is too obvious
-bass dist a bit too overdone
-clap and/or snare-layer too upfront (also maybe try to tame some 2-3ks? they help the clap stick out too much)
-sturdy synth needs too be louder, more upfront

------------------------------------

That's it for now, sorry I don't have time atm for more feedback, if I did, I would have offered on every mix! :(
Last edited by 3ee on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uhm wait...

So there won't be a Mix Round 2, but you announced the three top spots right from the start?
For a Round 2, we ideally needed 6-7 participants to make things more interesting.

Unless I am getting you wrong here?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

^Well, we got the finalists but we don't have the order, depending on how well they implement the feedback given on their mix revision, we should have a podium.

Didn't choose 6-7 for the final since I didn't want to include people just to compete if I knew they didn't have a chance to win... these being said, I can choose 2 more for a total of 5... now that I think about it, there are about 2 more mixes that may have potential if they implement feedback carefully! So how's that?

Two good arguments. You're the client - it's your call.

If you say:
"The following participants are going into the next round", then the timer for the second mix round starts.

So as long as I don't get green lights, the thread remains as it is.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

OK the complete list with the finalists:

Kolyev
Davias
bManiac
Mehr212
nineofkings

feedback on your mixes, few posts up ^^^

Okay... I updated the thread title.

Thanks to all participants for joining the challenge so far.
Good luck for Mix Round 2, which will end (with an extra day) on 03-JUL-2015, 11:59pm PDT

Thank you, 3ee, for selecting me for the top 5 !

Is it allowed to have interactive feedback ?

I will ask my questions, just ignore them if the rules doesn't allow that ^^

You say "also the volume seems a bit too upfront.", are you talking about the clap, or the overall volume ? Actually the clap got few processing, maybe it is a little bit too bright on is own, but I think it comes from the processing of the kick track (that contains the bottom and attack of the "clap"), I should split into two tracks but it may be tedious, don't know if I will have the time and I'll focus about your other remarks in priority. ^^

About the bass, are you referring to the whole bass track, or maybe just when there is a distorted sweep-like sound ?

When you speak about the "main part", are you referring to when the kick comes back after the break ? It then would come by the fact that I used mid-side eq to hide some mono incompatibilities I spotted there, but maybe it results in narrowing the image too much, I'll check on that.

Thank you already for your feedback. :)

Hey Davias,

-was referring to the clap volume.
-pretty much the whole "verse" bass (not the break drone nor the kick hit)
-main part, after break yes

I'm glad you like my mix 3ee and thanks for the detailled feedback. I'll do my best to improve the mix accordingly.

Return to “Production Techniques”