New Reason 10 owner, where to start?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Anyway to move the 3 gigs of sample data and patches etc without creating a junction link, on Windows?

I dont want them on my C drive
Find the directory on C: where the files are.
Move the whole directory to new location.
Open Windows prompt (type cmd.exe in Start menu)
Type "mklink /j link taget" where link is the old directory where files were, target is the path to new location (if link and/or target contain spaces, put them in "")
Thanks, I was wondering if there was a different way to do this, that doesnt involve windows (I know how to link files as hinted at in my OP). ie some Reason related setting, perhaps hidden in a file as its not available directly within Reason as a preference setting.

Is there a way to stop Reason asking to install some of these if they dont exist or must they be installed?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
antic604 wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Anyway to move the 3 gigs of sample data and patches etc without creating a junction link, on Windows?

I dont want them on my C drive
Find the directory on C: where the files are.
Move the whole directory to new location.
Open Windows prompt (type cmd.exe in Start menu)
Type "mklink /j link taget" where link is the old directory where files were, target is the path to new location (if link and/or target contain spaces, put them in "")
Thanks, I was wondering if there was a different way to do this, that doesnt involve windows (I know how to link files as hinted at in my OP). ie some Reason related setting, perhaps hidden in a file as its not available directly within Reason as a preference setting.

Is there a way to stop Reason asking to install some of these if they dont exist or must they be installed?
Sorry, I must've missed that :) No, there's no setting for that, either visible or hidden. And yes, at least the factory sound banks need to be installed, otherwise it will ask you for them every time.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sorry, I must've missed that :) No, there's no setting for that, either visible or hidden. And yes, at least the factory sound banks need to be installed, otherwise it will ask you for them every time.
Thanks duder
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I'm really loving the in line pitch correction, I was excited to be getting that In Reaper sometime soon, but that would have still required a Melodyne plugin, Reason's implementation is simple and effective, and didn't cost me anything extra.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I have Melodyne ARA integration in several DAW's as well as the Antares, Waves, etc plugins and I'd still say Reason has by far my favorite Pitch Correction built in to its system. I feel like its Its highly over-looked.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

jjpscott01 wrote:I have Melodyne ARA integration in several DAW's as well as the Antares, Waves, etc plugins and I'd still say Reason has by far my favorite Pitch Correction built in to its system. I feel like its Its highly over-looked.
Yeah, I owned Studio One and didn't really like the integration there. It seemed tacked on, which isn't at all how the Reason implementation feels.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:
jjpscott01 wrote:I have Melodyne ARA integration in several DAW's as well as the Antares, Waves, etc plugins and I'd still say Reason has by far my favorite Pitch Correction built in to its system. I feel like its Its highly over-looked.
Yeah, I owned Studio One and didn't really like the integration there. It seemed tacked on, which isn't at all how the Reason implementation feels.
Agreed. As a longtime Melodyne Essential user (via Studio One), I find Reason’s much more eloquent, and it sounds just as good. I still own Editor for DNA, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:
braj wrote:
Agreed. As a longtime Melodyne Essential user (via Studio One), I find Reason’s much more eloquent, and it sounds just as good. I still own Editor for DNA, though.
This is interesting, can you elaborate, what makes the Reason pitch correction that excellent?
As a Melodyne owner, I´m a bit fed up with the quality of vocal pitch correction of the Melodyne 3 (Editor and plugin).
Melodyne has concentrated to the other features of the tool lately, but the core, vocal pitch correction, has not improved in the last 10 years.

Harry_HH wrote:This is interesting, can you elaborate, what makes the Reason pitch correction that excellent?
It's just very elegant, very well integrated and good quality:

https://youtu.be/kZ7bMCFOBIs
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:This is interesting, can you elaborate, what makes the Reason pitch correction that excellent?
It's just very elegant, very well integrated and good quality:

https://youtu.be/kZ7bMCFOBIs
Nice tutorial. Once of the main challenges in vocal pitch correction (when working e.g. with Melodyne or Waves Tune), is the detection of so called raspy vocals, where the singer´s original vocal pitch is "unstable", and one intended vocal note may include variety of different frequencies. In these cases the e.g. Melodyne may scatter the detected note, and its very hard to work with these scattered "blobs". Someone may say, that the singer is bad, which may be true, but to my experience many rather good, but untrained male singer, have this kind of chracter in their voice.
I have look after a pitch correction tool, which has sophisticated alhorithm for detecting and correcting this kind of "difficult" voices.
I wonder if you have compared the Reason pitch correction performance to the other pitch correction tools, from this point of view?

Harry_HH wrote: Nice tutorial. Once of the main challenges in vocal pitch correction (when working e.g. with Melodyne or Waves Tune), is the detection of so called raspy vocals, where the singer´s original vocal pitch is "unstable", and one intended vocal note may include variety of different frequencies. In these cases the e.g. Melodyne may scatter the detected note, and its very hard to work with these scattered "blobs". Someone may say, that the singer is bad, which may be true, but to my experience many rather good, but untrained male singer, have this kind of chracter in their voice.
I have look after a pitch correction tool, which has sophisticated alhorithm for detecting and correcting this kind of "difficult" voices.
I wonder if you have compared the Reason pitch correction performance to the other pitch correction tools, from this point of view?
I own both Melodyne Editor as well as Reason. If you can drop me an example vocal, I'd be happy to see how they compare.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:
Harry_HH wrote: Nice tutorial. Once of the main challenges in vocal pitch correction (when working e.g. with Melodyne or Waves Tune), is the detection of so called raspy vocals, where the singer´s original vocal pitch is "unstable", and one intended vocal note may include variety of different frequencies. In these cases the e.g. Melodyne may scatter the detected note, and its very hard to work with these scattered "blobs". Someone may say, that the singer is bad, which may be true, but to my experience many rather good, but untrained male singer, have this kind of chracter in their voice.
I own both Melodyne Editor as well as Reason. If you can drop me an example vocal, I'd be happy to see how they compare.
Great idea, thank you! I will search a representative example and send a download link. It may take 1-3 days. But what I have heard, the challenge I describe (especially concerning some male vocals), is not uncommon. E.g. in Gearslutz a couple of old discussions. What is from this point of view the best pitch correction tool, varies: some swear for Revoice Pro, some Auto-Tune 8, some Melodyne 4, some Waves Tune. The Reason is totally new thing for me.

Harry_HH wrote: Great idea, thank you! I will search a representative example and send a download link. It may take 1-3 days. But what I have heard, the challenge I describe (especially concerning some male vocals), is not uncommon. E.g. in Gearslutz a couple of old discussions. What is from this point of view the best pitch correction tool, varies: some swear for Revoice Pro, some Auto-Tune 8, some Melodyne 4, some Waves Tune. The Reason is totally new thing for me.
Gotcha, no worries! I'd rate Reason's pitch correction algorithm quality on-par with Melodyne. I haven't used Revoice Pro, Auto-Tun, or Waves Tune. And while Gearslutz has opinions that are as about as varied as any, I tend to understand that the "industry standard" quality pitch correction opinion is that Melodyne is the bar to hit, even if it struggles with the challenge you describe. Perhaps the technology just isn't up to par quite yet for all of them?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”