Sound forge 12 upgrade cost

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I also bought Acid Pro 7 for the Free upgrade to Acid Pro 8, that they advertised to be released this spring. I get the feeling I have bit on another lie.
Asus CM6870 3AB, i7 3770 Ivy, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 7TB Internal, Windows 8 64bit Pro,RME Firface UC, Reaper. Ableton Live 9, Sonar X2, Maschine.

fmr wrote: Anyway, I tested the trial version, and it doesn't justify the price (it would hardly justify $99 IMO). It's basically the same application, just compiled for 64-bit. Even the VST plug-in scan and support keeps being the lousy job it was in the previous version, which forced me to create a special VstPlugIns folder just for Sound Forge. I'll keep my 32-bit application going on.
So true. For me it looks like a kind of a rip-off. I'll stay with SF11/SL4 as long as it works and then I'll look for another company. Magix messed it up totally.

ReverendLove wrote:
fmr wrote: Anyway, I tested the trial version, and it doesn't justify the price (it would hardly justify $99 IMO). It's basically the same application, just compiled for 64-bit. Even the VST plug-in scan and support keeps being the lousy job it was in the previous version, which forced me to create a special VstPlugIns folder just for Sound Forge. I'll keep my 32-bit application going on.
So true. For me it looks like a kind of a rip-off. I'll stay with SF11/SL4 as long as it works and then I'll look for another company. Magix messed it up totally.
I would buy the upgrade for the new "Suite" for $99, but no way I will pay $299 for that. Besides, the "new plug-ins" they offer are the same that any Samplitude Pro X Suite user already have too, so they should say that, and compensate the Pro X Suite users accordingly. Right now they are asking them to pay for something they already paid for (in theory).

As you said, Magix messed it up totally. It's not the first time Magix shows they simply do not know/understand the music software market
Fernando (FMR)

In case anyone is looking you can get SF and SL cheaper here: http://www.sharbor.com/search/?q=sound+forge

I bought the bundle in December (not the Humble bundle) and I am not interested in upgrading SoundForge - the current version does everything I need it for. Very overpriced. I also would not buy an upgrade for Samplitude, particularly as Cakewalk is now free and just as good ( for me anyway ) as is Reaper

But Spectralayers is another thing altogether. I have not had the problems others have had in recognising my serial number - that worked and I got the upgrade price. But it also is too expensive I think for what seems at the moment minor improvements to the feature set, although there are a lot of improvements to the gui and underlying engine. But features like export layers to individual wavs or select by amplitude are not implemented. But it is a great and unique program I am glad to have. Maybe next version

and - i received no notification in email for any of this. Must investigate that

I agree, while some of the changes were nice, and long overdue, most of it feels like a .5 update from most other competitors - esp. Spectral Layers.

Can easily hold off til the next update.

nathanj wrote:I agree, while some of the changes were nice, and long overdue, most of it feels like a .5 update from most other competitors - esp. Spectral Layers.

Can easily hold off til the next update.
To be fair to the dev, who is helpful, a few improvements and additions to repair functions have been made. But I have RX so they are not so useful to me. I am very happy with spectralayers but like Kontakt and RX it is probably something I will skip versions with

@woggle

That's a good point. I didn't mean for my comment to be so dismissive of SF and the dev. team behind it. They have a challenge on their hands in that it's such a robust and competent application; it's a challenge to convince people that they need the newest version.

Not bothering to update, V10 works exactly as i want it for editing, the bells and whistles of V12 are not worth it.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

let me start his by saying I am not a pro, nor do I have much disposable cash. I think the issue of cost of upgrades is quite relative, I do see the same people complaining about the same companies (every time the name gets mentioned) and honestly I think it's a bit petty. Yeah, people got better deals than me on the bundle, boo hoo, I still got years of joy from that product. I have cable, internet and phone bundled, new customers get a deal and my bill goes up 15% a year, still beats the alternative. I'm old, I remember when I desired a decent 8 track recording rig with noise reduction, patchbays, fx a good mixer, mastering tools (8 tracks would mean at least 4 compressors), mastering/mixdown deck and then there is the cost of tape. Do you think that I could afford that? Sure no one is charging to upgrade to a new version at a couple hundred dollars every few years but I would spend far more than that on tape a year. Gear breaks down, tape machines need maintenance. I am thankful for the bargains even when they seem higher than other companies, the fact is a year later I'm not going to miss the extra 50 or 100 bux much compared to all I will get out of it if the upgrade is of any value to me.

Pros consider these things part of the cost of doing business, like most companies the cost of upgrading is factored into the price of one's service. Amateurs whine, it's just a hobby and they dont want to spend so much, but then what about other hobbies? How do they compare? If you cant afford it there are plenty of low cost options, if it is something you are passionate about the cost is again part of the game and most hobbies add up in costs.

I think this thread has some healthy viewpoints, I'm one of those who dont have to be up to date (I am not waiting in line to be the first to buy a phone, a video game or what have you). Instead of blaming the company trying to compete and continue to deliver the best tools ask yourself where you can cut costs like a few here have. If you dont like a company's upgrade policy go with another as the price spectrum in new and upgrades is well covered. Some people however seem to take it personally, the company is screwing them over. Deal with it, my electric company bill is absurd with charges for everything except for the toilet paper they wipe their ares with and there's not thing one I can do about it besides going without. Here in this case I have some choice, I could live with my status quo and be far beyond my wildest dreams of yesteryear. I'm not going to whine, I'm going to revel in what I have because the joy it brings me cannot have a price tag on it.

Naturally this is just my opinion, others are going to be outraged by my post but personally I am far more outraged that gas prices are spiking now because tourist season is coming and they want to suck all the cash they can from the drove of rv's and boats and what not coming here while bleeding us residents who already pay enough in taxes dry...like I said it's all relative. If the cost of upgrading is you biggest problem even at this current rate, I am quite jealous :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I haven't considered the upgrade price because I'm not using Windows any more.

The Mac version of Sound Forge was a joke from day one and it seems Magix isn't interested in it.

If the Mac version were on par with the Windows version, I'd have bought it by now because there are very few decent audio editors for Mac OS...

(I want nothing to do with Audacity, Audiofile Engineering is gone and their editor, now owned by someone else, was always odd and clumsy, and I'm not fond of Adobe Audition, of which I have an older and incompatible version, and I hate Adobe at this point).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:I haven't considered the upgrade price because I'm not using Windows any more.

The Mac version of Sound Forge was a joke from day one and it seems Magix isn't interested in it.

If the Mac version were on par with the Windows version, I'd have bought it by now because there are very few decent audio editors for Mac OS...

(I want nothing to do with Audacity, Audiofile Engineering is gone and their editor, now owned by someone else, was always odd and clumsy, and I'm not fond of Adobe Audition, of which I have an older and incompatible version, and I hate Adobe at this point).
You have DSP Quattro, and now Sound It! PRO. And Acoustica. All of these beat Sound Forge Mac, IMO.
Last edited by fmr on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I never found DSP-Quattro to be designed well. Maybe I need to reexamine it. I've never heard of Sound-It or Acoustica. But again, being better than Sound Forge Mac isn't hard to do. Sound Forge Mac is pathetic. I wish the Windows Sound Forge worked well with WINE, but it just doesn't.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:I never found DSP-Quattro to be designed well. Maybe I need to reexamine it. I've never heard of Sound-It or Acoustica. But again, being better than Sound Forge Mac isn't hard to do. Sound Forge Mac is pathetic. I wish the Windows Sound Forge worked well with WINE, but it just doesn't.
Sound it! PRO: http://internetmusicsoft.com/sit/

Acoustica: https://acondigital.com/products/acoust ... io-editor/
Fernando (FMR)

Ok, just got the email regarding time limited upgrade extension #1 :lol:
So basically, its very likely just a BS story to get you to upgrade.

I suspect many more extensions will materialize in the coming months.
The smart shoppers might wait until the inevitable price drops occur.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”