Reason 10.1 free update ...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

Psuper wrote:
deastman wrote:I bought Reason recently with the deal to upgrade from Essentials 10, and finally got around to installing it last night. I’d been away from Reason since, I think, version 3. I’m really rather amazed at how much it has improved in that time! I’m also more than a little disappointed that the actual rack interface looks pretty small and difficult for me to read on my 17” HD laptop screen, but I guess I can live with it. My stance these days is that I’m not really beholden to any one particular workflow or DAW. I think I’ll probably end up using Reason as a playground to come up with ideas and bits of material. I’ll bounce everything out to audio and continue arranging songs somewhere else. I can understand why people who have been with it all along might be disappointed with the cost and/or features of an upgrade and longstanding issues which haven’t been addressed. But from my perspective, it’s all good!
You're pretty much spot on:

People coming from a much older version gets a great deal: a whole slew of devices piled in since your last upgrade. Reason loyalists who have repeatedly paid for each upgrade don't get a break at all.

As a fairly consistent update purchaser I didn't mind their strategy, however I certainly can fathom discontent from fellow long-time Reason upgrade supporters. I've been somewhat selective with my upgrades, and up to R10 been more than happy to just purchase the upgrade due to wanting to help Propellerhead and RE developers. However I'm needing much more out of the DAW side of things, and Reason isn't cutting it, so no more blind upgrades. I've already started buying more VSTs to replace go-to Reason devices in Reaper.
I can also appreciate this frustration when Reason is your main or only DAW. For reasons I can’t really rationally justify, I own most of the major DAWs, and I’m no longer beholden to any particular one. If you’re working in Reaper a lot, you can use Reason as one more tool in your toolbox and just throw the audio output into your Reaper timeline.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I would love to see a version of Reason optimised for the MS Surface (like Bitwig do with the tablet view) it would really lend its self to this type of use if it was optimised for specific devices- seems lost on a big monitor.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Does Reason allow midi output from a VST yet?

memyselfandus wrote:Does Reason allow midi output from a VST yet?
No, and with their latest RE SDK I think it's not a priority either. But who knows.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:Does Reason allow midi output from a VST yet?
No, and with their latest RE SDK I think it's not a priority either. But who knows.
Yeah, it may happen in Reason 11, which would give devs and Propellerhead around one year of exclusively selling midi based Players to the Reason fanbase. It could have been a much longer period if Propellerhead had came out with that SDK somewhere in the Reason 9 timeline. I guess these things just take time to get right, but its been more than a year already since Players were introduced in 9.
Last edited by festeringheap on Wed May 09, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacqueslacouth wrote:You know, I'm not sure if this is just some wacky super advanced technology specific to Australia, BUT, I have these things called spectacles/glasses and when I put them on (over my eyes) it makes me able to see all these invisible things in Reason (I'm on a 27" 5K screen) that my tired old diabetic eyes can't normally see....WITCHCRAFT! :eek:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

SLiC wrote:The problem with reading glasses is then you cant see anything further away than 12 inches, makes it hard to reach for my guitar!
Those cheap dollar store reading (magnifying) glasses are good for nothing if you are focusing on different things at different distances. Sounds like you need a good pair of bi-focals. They make them now without the line in the middle separating the two lenses so no one thinks you're an old fart.

festeringheap wrote:
jacqueslacouth wrote:You know, I'm not sure if this is just some wacky super advanced technology specific to Australia, BUT, I have these things called spectacles/glasses and when I put them on (over my eyes) it makes me able to see all these invisible things in Reason (I'm on a 27" 5K screen) that my tired old diabetic eyes can't normally see....WITCHCRAFT! :eek:

SLiC wrote:The problem with reading glasses is then you cant see anything further away than 12 inches, makes it hard to reach for my guitar!
Those cheap dollar store reading (magnifying) glasses are good for nothing. Sounds like you need a good pair of bi-focals. They make them now without the line in the middle separating the two lenses so no one thinks you're an old fart.
:lol: I’m already on progressive lenses. The rack view is still too small.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Psuper wrote:
Engee wrote: I believe differently as the VST support alone is a big turn in their direction which many believed it won't happen.
This was a change Propellerhead made due to overwhelming demand by most of their users. A change many of us don't even need but welcome nonetheless.
Psuper, your two sentences seem to completely contradict each other.
Last edited by festeringheap on Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight wrote:Free (for R10 peeps) until the end of May - 10.1 users should grab this ASAP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_XQ4qmaPA
Amazing vid! :clap: I don't think I'll need to crack open the manual after that video. Is there anything they didn't touch on in that? Drum Sequencer looks great. :tu:

deastman wrote:
festeringheap wrote:

Those cheap dollar store reading (magnifying) glasses are good for nothing. Sounds like you need a good pair of bi-focals. They make them now without the line in the middle separating the two lenses so no one thinks you're an old fart.
:lol: I’m already on progressive lenses. The rack view is still too small.
Maybe you need a new optometrist? :lol:

:tu: Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip) :clap: :)

festeringheap wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Free (for R10 peeps) until the end of May - 10.1 users should grab this ASAP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_XQ4qmaPA
Amazing vid! :clap: I don't think I'll need to crack open the manual after that video. Is there anything they didn't touch on in that? Drum Sequencer looks great. :tu:
I'm sure that video covers the majority of what it does. But yeah, it's a pretty useful MIDI effect (Player). I didn't think I'd have a use for it, but it's pretty damn fun to use!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

I dunno, I just use a 50 in TV at 1080 P, they're so cheap now days. Everything is huge,
save 4k for movies, if you need more screen area, just use 2 of em. :shrug:

Hell, i would never have enough space for a 50" TV on my computer table… not to mention turning my head when i sit in front of a 50" display, 1 metre away. :D

Yeah space is an issue, I hang mine on the wall at about 1 meter away, I can sit back about 1.5 - 2 meters if I want. I use an old $2500 Sony Bravia that I got for $50.

pekbro wrote:Yeah space is an issue, I hang mine on the wall at about 1 meter away, I can sit back about 1.5 - 2 meters if I want. I use an old $2500 Sony Bravia that I got for $50.
$50?! Wow! That is insane price! I doubt that I can find such a bargain here in NZ, but I'll search TradeMe today! I don't have enough space but with such a price I might force it to fit in :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”