What's a good DAW to switch to from Cakewalk?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow that theme looks amazingly similar to Cubase

What was that saying with the lipstick on a pig? :D

Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:47 am Maybe it's just me, but basing your DAW choice on the hardware available for it is like the tail wagging the dog. Yes, you may like the hardware a lot, but if that means you may be locked into software that potentially that isn't well suited for your style of workflow, then what's the point?

You can usually get other control surfaces that are compatible with your DAW of choice. Maybe research that a bit more. Regardless, the NKS system should still work with your NKS compatible plugin instruments in any DAW.
The thing is I've considered other keyboards, but they don't fit my need of having an easy patch browser like the kontrol mk2 series. The two big displays are awesome. I want to be able to switch patches on the keyboard and assign patches to buttons and pads which I could possibly do on the machine or a smaller controller to go along with the kontrol keyboard. The other thing is keybed and imo, the kontrol mk2 keybed is the best out of the midi keyboards in the price range based on keyboards I've tried like the keylab mk2, mpk 249, and novation impulse.

Please don't listen to anyone who recommends Reaper if you are doing MIDI in any way. Sincerely, a Reaper user.

cantaloupe wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:47 pm Please don't listen to anyone who recommends Reaper if you are doing MIDI in any way. Sincerely, a Reaper user.
What's the deal with it
:dog:

cantaloupe wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:47 pm Please don't listen to anyone who recommends Reaper if you are doing MIDI in any way. Sincerely, a Reaper user.
Nonsense... perhaps it´s not as deep as Logic or Cubase but sufficient for 99% of all midi work...

Well it looks like if you are all decided about using kontrol mk2 for its integration, then your choice on Windows would be limited to NI support for Ableton or Cubase (plus Logic on the Mac).

Notes About KOMPLETE KONTROL MK2 Host Integration
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... 5005195369

The best way to narrow that down would be to get the keyboard first and then demo the DAWs with it.

Cubase sounds the best. Pro Tools is most widely used. I’d choose one of those 2.

zzz00m wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:02 pm Image
Sexy though

3ptguitarist wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:13 pm
zzz00m wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:47 am Maybe it's just me, but basing your DAW choice on the hardware available for it is like the tail wagging the dog. Yes, you may like the hardware a lot, but if that means you may be locked into software that potentially that isn't well suited for your style of workflow, then what's the point?

You can usually get other control surfaces that are compatible with your DAW of choice. Maybe research that a bit more. Regardless, the NKS system should still work with your NKS compatible plugin instruments in any DAW.
The thing is I've considered other keyboards, but they don't fit my need of having an easy patch browser like the kontrol mk2 series. The two big displays are awesome. I want to be able to switch patches on the keyboard and assign patches to buttons and pads which I could possibly do on the machine or a smaller controller to go along with the kontrol keyboard. The other thing is keybed and imo, the kontrol mk2 keybed is the best out of the midi keyboards in the price range based on keyboards I've tried like the keylab mk2, mpk 249, and novation impulse.
Agreed, the Komplete Kontrol MK2 keybed is phenomenal.

philipphoenix wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:55 pm Cubase sounds the best.
I'm not sure how anyone can make a claim about any DAW "sounding the best". This topic has been discussed to death on various audio forums, and tests have been performed.

All professional DAWs shouldn't ever have a "sound", other than what you put into it at the source and process in the box. The DSP algorithms are stable and aren't subject to change with temperature or age, like old analog components. And they are very consistent from one brand to another.

Trancit wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:08 pm Nonsense... perhaps it´s not as deep as Logic or Cubase but sufficient for 99% of all midi work...
It is not always about depth or amount of functions but how things come together. With Reaper, the problem is rarely "Does this functionality exist or not" but rather "Is this functionality implemented in a pleasant and elegant and non-janky way".

cantaloupe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:16 pm
Trancit wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:08 pm Nonsense... perhaps it´s not as deep as Logic or Cubase but sufficient for 99% of all midi work...
It is not always about depth or amount of functions but how things come together. With Reaper, the problem is rarely "Does this functionality exist or not" but rather "Is this functionality implemented in a pleasant and elegant and non-janky way".
Couldn't disagree more, I went from Sonar to Reaper not long after Cakewalk became Sonar, and it was a flawless victory. I preferred using Reason for Midi as I've spent years working with it almost exclusively, however I'm not confident with where Propellerhead is taking Reason, so I've been back with Reaper primarily.

It seems to me there's a circle of people around here talk about Reaper like we oldschoolers talked about Reaper 10+ years ago. Regardless, I couldn't care less if anyone at all uses Reaper, but not taking a serious look at it coming from Cakewalk would be a mistake.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:42 pm
cantaloupe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:16 pm
Couldn't disagree more, I went from Sonar to Reaper not long after Cakewalk became Sonar, and it was a flawless victory. I preferred using Reason for Midi as I've spent years working with it almost exclusively, however I'm not confident with where Propellerhead is taking Reason, so I've been back with Reaper primarily.

It seems to me there's a circle of people around here talk about Reaper like we oldschoolers talked about Reaper 10+ years ago. Regardless, I couldn't care less if anyone at all uses Reaper, but not taking a serious look at it coming from Cakewalk would be a mistake.
Reaper looks too complicated for me and doesn't have the same support for NI for their komplete kontrollers. I want something easier to use and navigate and I've narrowed it too cubase and ableton though so4 may be in 3rd.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”