Reason 10.3 is out ...and it's awesome!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chimp_spanner wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:31 am
txl wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:51 pm That's good that Propellerhead is taking VST seriously to keep up with other DAW. One of the reason for me switching DAW a long time a go was no VST and workflow. Hunting through racks, connections, and cables just not for me on more complex rig. I have requested in the past for a graphic/node-based editor view like AudioMulch, Buzz, FL Patcher/MiniHost, etc. as a bird's-eye view of your project and an alternative workflow. I do love Reason instruments and effects ui design though and seeing them stacking in the rack view like hardware rig. But since it's software we should take advantage as a software as well.
Yeah I'd say with VSTs working as they should and pretty much every sound and effect I could need, workflow and organisation are top priority for me. Bigger projects do get confusing quite quickly unless you're really on it with track order, colour coding, using separator devices (as has already been mentioned here).

I must post this once a week but things that would make my life immeasurably easier;

Sequencer folder tracks
Track, rack and mixer visibility groups
More colours
Pop out editor for rack instruments from the sequencer
Improved browser with the ability to search by category (filter, reverb, etc.)
Option to sync track/rack/channel order automatically

Really unglamorous stuff! But like I said, I don't need any more sounds now. If anything I have too many :hihi:
Those are good requests. Editing Instruments from sequencer view would be quicker and keep you focus on arranging and optimize screen space. Sequencer folder too for organizing. It's always good to have different ways of getting to the same thing for different type of users and compete with other DAW. Hopefully once they are good with VST implementation, they can focus on workflow and features.

"Pop out editor for rack instruments from the sequencer" it has been added already maybe to 10.2 double clickings on the instrument in the sequencer

btw. the https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... akout-box/
CV Breakout Box converts between eight channel PolyCV and monophonic CV.
able to de/multiplex 8 standard cv cable to a poly one, can be used nicely (of. the poly splitter/merger cv devices have to be used with it from the same company)

ps. yepp
Reason 10.2 / Reason 10.2 Intro / Reason 10.2 Lite Release Notes
Double click a sequencer track to open the rack and scroll to its device
VSTis are popped up
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:44 pm "Pop out editor for rack instruments from the sequencer" it has been added already maybe to 10.2 double clickings on the instrument in the sequencer

able to de/multiplex 8 standard cv cable to a poly one, can be used nicely (of. the poly splitter/merger cv devices have to be used with it from the same company)

ps. yepp
VSTis are popped up
Ah yeah sorry I meant racks. It’d be neat to be able to make a quick edit to a rack instrument in the arranger without having to go into the rack.
Insert something profound/blatant self promotion/DAW specs here.

Am I just being daft or is it not the difference between "effects" or "instruments" ???

As far as instruments are concerned, you can get to the GUI from the sequencer which IS an improvement. Also, you "can" get to the FX but it doesn't show the GUI w/o an additional click. Also, w/o pinning (which is kinda cool) you cannot have more than one vst open, and I miss something like S1 where you can hit F12 and clear the windows. Hope I'm making sense.

Honestly, ALL hosts are dreadful in handling windows IMNSHO. :lol:

I'd like an option in Reason to not embed all audio in the project file. I think this is the only DAW with that limitation.

It's fine if the project is mostly midi and maybe a vocal or two, but if you work mostly with audio and like to save revisions or alternative versions then you'll go through hard drives like crazy.

chimp_spanner wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:23 pm
xbitz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:44 pm "Pop out editor for rack instruments from the sequencer" it has been added already maybe to 10.2 double clickings on the instrument in the sequencer

ps. yepp
VSTis are popped up
Ah yeah sorry I meant racks. It’d be neat to be able to make a quick edit to a rack instrument in the arranger without having to go into the rack.

I've still learning Reason so dunno how it's working with 80+ tracks, but using in single column rack view mode on the laptop seems ok to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F39hTQEJ1Jk

reggie1979 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:55 am Am I just being daft or is it not the difference between "effects" or "instruments" ???

As far as instruments are concerned, you can get to the GUI from the sequencer which IS an improvement. Also, you "can" get to the FX but it doesn't show the GUI w/o an additional click. Also, w/o pinning (which is kinda cool) you cannot have more than one vst open, and I miss something like S1 where you can hit F12 and clear the windows. Hope I'm making sense.

Yeah you can navigate to the position of the device in the rack from the sequencer, and that is sorta useful although the highlight/flashing effect isn't always obvious enough. What I'm talking about is an actual pop out window that just displays the editor for the rack instrument but in the sequencer view. So you can make quick adjustments without having to leave the sequencer and expand devices, hunt them down, etc. I dunno, it's just on the wishlist. It might be somewhat paradigm breaking but then so was VST. I think it'd help new users (or those familiar with other DAWs) if they could do all the basic stuff like creating instruments, browsing patches, editing etc. without even having to look at the rack, and then when you do need to go there it's just for adding effects and things of that nature. Although I'd even suggest that this popout includes the insert fx section as well. I can imagine it working quite well. You could do the same from the mixer view too; open the front panel of an instrument, or call up the insert section of an audio/mix track.

chimp_spanner wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 am
reggie1979 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:55 am Am I just being daft or is it not the difference between "effects" or "instruments" ???

Yeah you can navigate to the position of the device in the rack from the sequencer, and that is sorta useful although the highlight/flashing effect isn't always obvious enough. What I'm talking about is an actual pop out window that just displays the editor for the rack instrument but in the sequencer view. So you can make quick adjustments without having to leave the sequencer and expand devices, hunt them down, etc. I dunno, it's just on the wishlist. It might be somewhat paradigm breaking but then so was VST. I think it'd help new users (or those familiar with other DAWs) if they could do all the basic stuff like creating instruments, browsing patches, editing etc. without even having to look at the rack, and then when you do need to go there it's just for adding effects and things of that nature. Although I'd even suggest that this popout includes the insert fx section as well. I can imagine it working quite well. You could do the same from the mixer view too; open the front panel of an instrument, or call up the insert section of an audio/mix track.
If you detach the rack and resize it to your liking, it kind of works like having a separate "plug-in" window like in traditional DAWs. By double-clicking a sequencer track, the rack window will come forward (detached) and scroll to the device associated with the track. If that's a VST, the VST window will open.

Anosou wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:45 pm

If you detach the rack and resize it to your liking, it kind of works like having a separate "plug-in" window like in traditional DAWs. By double-clicking a sequencer track, the rack window will come forward (detached) and scroll to the device associated with the track. If that's a VST, the VST window will open.
Yeah also an option! I've experimented with a few different things layout wise. At point point I had the rack set to one column wide, with every instrument in its own column, and it did give the illusion of each device being a separate window. I'd still like to see it integrated into the sequencer and mixer, though!

As a heads up, 10.3 introduced some issues with compatibility with Unfiltered Audio plugins. The Propellerhead team has been extremely quick to respond, so we are working with them to iron this out. It sounds like a bug was fixed on their end to get SpecOps stable again, but that's in testing. I'll report back when I hear more.

What I'm talking about is an actual pop out window that just displays the editor for the rack instrument but in the sequencer view. So you can make quick adjustments without having to leave the sequencer and expand devices, hunt them down, etc. I dunno, it's just on the wishlist. It might be somewhat paradigm breaking but then so was VST. I think it'd help new users (or those familiar with other DAWs) if they could do all the basic stuff like creating instruments, browsing patches, editing etc. without even having to look at the rack, and then when you do need to go there it's just for adding effects and things of that nature. Although I'd even suggest that this popout includes the insert fx section as well. I can imagine it working quite well. You could do the same from the mixer view too; open the front panel of an instrument, or call up the insert section of an audio/mix track.

Ok, so where I'm being a dope is that this is a wishlist feature......... :dog:

Sorry.

PeterP_swe wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:57 am I'd like an option in Reason to not embed all audio in the project file. I think this is the only DAW with that limitation.

It's fine if the project is mostly midi and maybe a vocal or two, but if you work mostly with audio and like to save revisions or alternative versions then you'll go through hard drives like crazy.
In Live, your regular project file (Live Set) is very small (hundredth KB). Your source audio files stay in the same place where you got it from. Doesn't export with your project. The only time your audio get export into your project folder is if you freeze your audio track to save cpu. It will be audible for playback but not editable until you unfreeze it.

Audio files will be save in Samples folder inside your project folder if you Collect All and Save. You do have the option to not include audio from factory default, your own library, elsewhere, etc...

Not sure if that's what you mean. As for saving one big file, Live can create Live Pack (.alp). I can see that as convenient for handing off your final project or sharing your project. I think folder structure project is fine as well and good grabbing samples, presets, midi, etc. without having to open up your DAW.

txl wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am
PeterP_swe wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:57 am I'd like an option in Reason to not embed all audio in the project file. I think this is the only DAW with that limitation.

In Live, your regular project file (Live Set) is very small (hundredth KB). Your source audio files stay in the same place where you got it from. Doesn't export with your project. The only time your audio get export into your project folder is if you freeze your audio track to save cpu. It will be audible for playback but not editable until you unfreeze it.

Audio files will be save in Samples folder inside your project folder if you Collect All and Save. You do have the option to not include audio from factory default, your own library, elsewhere, etc...

Not sure if that's what you mean. As for saving one big file, Live can create Live Pack (.alp). I can see that as convenient for handing off your final project or sharing your project. I think folder structure project is fine as well and good grabbing samples, presets, midi, etc. without having to open up your DAW.
That's what he said - Reason is the only DAW that doesn't do this. Not sure why you're bringing Live up?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

^^^ using this trick, Shrinking large Reason projects > https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7253685

xbitz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:55 am ^^^ using this trick, Shrinking large Reason projects > https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7253685
That's a great tip for removing unused audio in your project, but it doesn't help if you actually have 20-40 unique audio tracks.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”