Huge sale on Cubase 10 - 50% off for new purchases or crossgrades

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

telecode wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:27 pm
Psuper wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:19 pm
telecode wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:52 am

I honestly don't understand people that use multiple DAWs. Pick one and learn to use it really well. Getting yet another DAW another tool in your toolbox is not going to make a change and enable you to make that great new thing that will make you stand out from the masses. You are better off investing that $200 into a ticket to SXSW and trying to meet people and make contacts.
I doubt many people do "use" multiple DAWS, at least for the majority of their production its going to be one. I used cakewalk/sonar in the 90s, then alongside Reason in 2000s (which wasn't a DAW for the longest time). Then switched to Reaper and Reason. Then tried to go pure Reason for a number of those years because they started focusing a bit more on the DAW, plus I came from a hardware background and the rack is second nature to me. For the most part worked ok, but grew less confident in Propellerhead with the silly choices they made, and the lack of good ones they didn't make. Then back to Reaper with Reason rewired because Reaper matured significantly and Reason was still the same. Now Cubase.

This is is 20+ years learning 3 DAWs and trialing others for a week or so, with each daw being learned and focused on during its "primetime". Now Cubase, and it will take me a couple weeks to hammer in 95% of what I'll use it for, specifically it will round out the midi editing and pitch adjustments that required multiple tools before. I think this is how most people "use multiple daws" if they are serious into making music, regardless if its for profit or fun.
vurt wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:22 pm theres also folk who will use say fruity for tracking everything, then mix in samplitude or somesuch.
just for the different mindset to work :shrug:

(just examples, no one uses fruity...)
I see. That sort of makes sense. I have looked at some of the functionality of FL Studio and see some of its strong points. I wonder if it makes more sense to just get Elements and get another DAW. I have been seriously looking more into Ableton as I hear that workflow is very very fast. I always stayed away because I thought it was a DJ tool. But I also made the same mistake with Maschine many years ago. I thought it was a EDM DJ tool, but after I got it and figured out how to use it, I live and breathe by it.
doesn't work for everybody, some people work better with familiarity, others work better using different things for different parts of the process.

as jens says, its a personality thing, one isn't better than the other, just different ways of working.

but by all means, try something different.
eg, even using live as for example a loop dj tool, you could make tracks in cubase or whatever you use now, slice out loops and remix, which might give you a fresh way of looking at the music you make :)
although, live is so much more than a loop tool. that's just one thing it does better than any other host or at least did.

Amazing how much this feels like Studio One now. :) There's really tons of stuff they seem to have added in 9.5 and 10 in regards of the workflow. I really like.

hi,
I sent the proof of ownership a couple of days ago for the competitive crossgrade (to steinberg, ordering from their shop) and they say " The verification will take place within two business days.", but so far I didn't get any answer. I guess it's just because of the increased number of requests they're getting? Did you have a similar experience?

thanks

Seldom I've seen such a badly organized sales campaign. E.g. its obvious, that vendors have been put "walk on the line", Plugin Alley has drawn back their offer etc. Lack of license numbers is a farce, as such.
One could imagine, that since the Steinberg has decided to start this campaign with "competitive crossgrade", the more sell, the better.
Regulation in this situation is incomprehensible.

vdk-john wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:09 pm hi,
I sent the proof of ownership a couple of days ago for the competitive crossgrade (to steinberg, ordering from their shop) and they say " The verification will take place within two business days.", but so far I didn't get any answer. I guess it's just because of the increased number of requests they're getting? Did you have a similar experience?

thanks
Same boat, still waiting, been almost a week for me since going for the crossgrade. Been plugging away at the trial, watching tutorials that sort of stuff. I'm patient, but excited to try out the other items in 10, especially the things I'm mainly buying it for.

Workflow gels nicely, but I can come to grips fairly quickly with anything I put my mind to. I know I'm gonna be hooked though, this will be the first time one DAW does everything I need it for, plus some.
Have you tried Vital?

From the Cubase forums on the crossgrade approvals:
"Yes, unfortunately as we have received many more applications than expected. Sorry! Please bear with us for a bit, we are working on it!" (Cubase support manager).
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 4&t=160370

Does anyone know if there's a way to launch clips while playing a live performance like ableton live?I saw something about groove agent being used for clip launching, but not sure how that works and if it works like ableton live.

mgw38 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:21 pm Not saying it is not worth it. Maybe it is. Just saying that it is not at all cheaper.
It's cheaper than comparable Live version, makes more sense in practical case and I proved it, that's what you quoted and took your own spin on it, I never said it's the cheapest DAW to maintain or is the most expensive one either, that's your own spin on it and I seriously don't know why you have to even quote me in first place to say that, but hey, my opinion is still the same, Bitwig is the way to go for clip launching and all those Live features that people hype over traditional DAW's and especially ones coming from traditional DAW's background, except if one really wants to rewire it and use it as sketch pad, than Live Intro is the way to go, that's all, I'm out of this pointless debate.

DrEntropy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:34 pm From the Cubase forums on the crossgrade approvals:
"Yes, unfortunately as we have received many more applications than expected. Sorry! Please bear with us for a bit, we are working on it!" (Cubase support manager).
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 4&t=160370
Thanks!
They actually replied with "Verification Request Successfu" 15 minutes after I posted that message :D

I assumed they were only working during business hours (CET)

Psuper wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:23 pm Same boat, still waiting, been almost a week for me since going for the crossgrade.
hi, as I mentioned in my other message they actually now got back to me and approved my request. Almost a week seems too much so maybe contact their support? Did you initiate the order process from their site (shop.steinberg.net)?

vdk-john wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:34 pm
Psuper wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:23 pm Same boat, still waiting, been almost a week for me since going for the crossgrade.
hi, as I mentioned in my other message they actually now got back to me and approved my request. Almost a week seems too much so maybe contact their support? Did you initiate the order process from their site (shop.steinberg.net)?
Well it was late Thursday last week, I'm not worried though plenty to keep me occupied -- if I don't hear from them by tomorrow I'll give them a shout -- but yes I had the confirmation email and it was direct from Steinberg.
Have you tried Vital?

chk071 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:08 pm Amazing how much this feels like Studio One now. :) There's really tons of stuff they seem to have added in 9.5 and 10 in regards of the workflow. I really like.
Am a S1 user (preceded by Logic), have been demoing Cubase thinking it would be a whole new learning curve and am surprised to be up and running with many of the key commands the same as S1...even renaming the event to match the track name. When I saw this sale, I wasn't hoping to switch DAWs because I really like S1 a lot, but Cubase fills some of the shortcomings I was wanting in S1 and now I am tempted.

Arranger track doesn't seem to be the same as S1 or Logic, where you can grab an arrange segment and move it, copy it, etc. In Cubase, it is more a playlist, because if I wanted to take let's say "A" and duplicate it so that I can change some notes around, "A" on the arranger list just adds another repeat verbatim instead of putting it actually on the timeline. Also closing or removing a plugin window only seems to be accomplished by doing so in the track inspector. I had seen a video of splitting a stereo track into mono from the track itself but now can't find the video or figure how to do it. Otherwise I am really liking this app.

macmuse wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:51 pm Arranger track doesn't seem to be the same as S1 or Logic, where you can grab an arrange segment and move it, copy it, etc. In Cubase, it is more a playlist, because if I wanted to take let's say "A" and duplicate it so that I can change some notes around, "A" on the arranger list just adds another repeat verbatim instead of putting it actually on the timeline.
Hi,
I'm crossgrading from S1 and yeah the arranger track is different in cubase but it also allows you to define multiple zones. Like you can have "A" that's one bar and "B" that 3 bars of which the first one is "A". Then you can create a new track from the arrangement.

see the first part of this one (at ~10 min): https://youtu.be/Z6-gDrvE3x4

vdk-john wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi,
I'm crossgrading from S1 and yeah the arranger track is different in cubase but it also allows you to define multiple zones. Like you can have "A" that's one bar and "B" that 3 bars of which the first one is "A". Then you can create a new track from the arrangement.

see the first part of this one (at ~10 min): https://youtu.be/Z6-gDrvE3x4
Yeah it is kinda an interesting workflow, I think it overlaps better for my composition style then Live's "Scenes".

@vdk-john: Thanks for the video. When he explained it then said "why would you want to do that", that was my first thought too having come from the way the other arranger tracks work. But yeah, I can see the benefit there. Then the flatten gets you where you'd have gotten in the other DAWs. I'm thinking of cross-grading too as I'm really liking it so far and it offers things I don't have in S1. Same with you? It's a lot more comfortable to me than I expected. I had bought Cubase way back in the early 90s but at that time it didn't get along as well with Macs so I moved to Logic.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”