FL Studio vs Bitwig

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stamp wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:18 am You have to consider the fact that Bitwig came out in spring 2014.
Imo it's unbelievable what the (only 4) devs have achieved till now.
Ymmv...
A small team imo makes it more likely that they will not find a good balance between bugfixes, device support, and new features in a way that justifies their upgrade pricing model.

Either is a bad choice. There, I said it.

bitwig stems from the radiolab generation where we know more about sympathetic design and color palette choice. bitwig is the right answer in todays age.

trancema wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:49 amStill, good DAW, no doubt, but yet missing some basic features, unfortunately.
While I know perfectly what you mean, I propose a thought experiment of trying to put yourself in the shoes of someone who started with Bitwig and only now tried Cubase or Studio One.

"WTF, how can those DAWs be missing BASIC FEATURES, like:
- clip launcher
- global, audio-rate modulation system
- built-in modular synth/FX
- flexible on-track signal routing, with splits by stereo, mid/side, frequencies (S1 Pro sort of has that)
- hybrid tracks, with bounce-in-place on groups / busses, FX tracks and Master
- MPE suport (Cubase has that)
- dedicated touch screen profile
- freely resizeable GUI
- plugin bridging & sandboxing

"Industry leading" my ass :D"

See? It all depends on what given person deems by 'basic features' :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:08 am
trancema wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:49 amStill, good DAW, no doubt, but yet missing some basic features, unfortunately.
While I know perfectly what you mean, I propose a thought experiment of trying to put yourself in the shoes of someone who started with Bitwig and only now tried Cubase or Studio One.

"WTF, how can those DAWs be missing BASIC FEATURES, like:
- clip launcher
- global, audio-rate modulation system
- built-in modular synth/FX
- flexible on-track signal routing, with splits by stereo, mid/side, frequencies (S1 Pro sort of has that)
- hybrid tracks, with bounce-in-place on groups / busses, FX tracks and Master
- MPE suport (Cubase has that)
- dedicated touch screen profile
- freely resizeable GUI
- plugin bridging & sandboxing

"Industry leading" my ass :D"

See? It all depends on what given person deems by 'basic features' :)
:D Exactly!

Music Making is an art, there is no 'one type of music' so there is no 'one tool' that is the most suitable tool for everything.

Find what makes writing and/or producing music 'work for you' (and that may be 'more fun' or 'more productive', it depends 'why' you make music!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

trancema wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:49 am Still, good DAW, no doubt, but yet missing some basic features, unfortunately.
Like what for example?

I would choose Bitwig

Kalamata Kid wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:46 pm For me FLS has everything I need from a DAW but ARA.
It's missing no features that are on my list other than ARA
Nearly perfect DAW in my opinion.
Sorry know very little about Bitwig for me me it is missing a few features I require.

So now have retreated to Studio One 4.5 but Reaper and then Cubase are my go to DAW's as they all have ARA.
Now that you've moved on to Studio One, Cubase and Reaper, have you dropped FL completely? Or am I misreading your post?

My vote is FL Studio. FL is my favorite DAW.

Passing Bye wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 pm Sorry, but FL is the most over hyped DAW on the planet
Disagree.

inkwarp wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:58 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 pm
JunSev wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:23 am For instance, I dislike completely the $170 a year for updates bitwig is asking and how overhyped is.
Sorry, but FL is the most over hyped DAW on the planet (followed closely by Ableton Live), "trap" or whatever genre DAW, winner of all those magazine popularity contest's, DAW made by and for users who aren't musicians and just pencil and hack stuff out like it's some game, most popular users are teen stars that started like majority of others with pirated version, no music knowledge and just penciling and hacking their way out, it's probably the most pirated DAW on the planet which got him all that hype and recognition (again with workflow geared towards gamer's that want to play with making music).
ooh, someone's had a hard day at the office.
this is your opinion, not a fact. I am a musician and i use FL from time to time, it's fantastic for midi so i use it as a plugin a lot. i don't think it's hyped as you say, no more than other daws.
Don't tar everyone with the same brush. that's called bigotry.
:clap:

the things which I miss from FL is an AL/Bitwig like Instrument Rack (with quickly assignable macros with different ranges) solution so Freestyle is must have one in FL ( https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic. ... 7#p1440027 )

and plugin-free "live style warping" directly inside the playlist (been promised here in kvr)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Passing Bye wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 pm Sorry, but FL is the most over hyped DAW on the planet
Sorry, but in fact, it's the opposite - it's quite underestimated. I won't say underrated, because it often wins in the "Best DAW" polls. :)

I think that if you start with a certain DAW and have already spent decent amount of time before trying another DAW, more often than not, you will tend to find the first DAW better. That's because it's all about getting used to a certain DAW. In exceptional cases, you might like the "newer" ones more.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:45 pm
Sorry, but in fact, it's the opposite - it's quite underestimated. I won't say underrated, because it often wins in the "Best DAW" polls. :)
It wins because that's what people over hyped and love, what they actually use, vocal bedroom majority, not some handful industry pro's, they of course discredit it with passion, but real world people around use it and love it, already said what I had, FL is the prime example of over hyped DAW based on true facts and history, but obviously passionate FL users aren't capable of being objective or comprehending that, so stop quoting me already, you have nothing, no arguments whatsoever, I get it, you don't agree, shocker.

ubailey wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:47 pm I ended up buying Bitwig instead of FL
You made the right choice. After 19 years of FLS being my main platform I was, putting it politely, jaded from several years of: broken workflow features that remain unfixed (like Playlist Live MIDI and keyboard shortcuts when running as a plugin), endless, totally uncompetitive (and expensive) instrument releases made for beginner producers, and absolutely disastrous architectural feature implementations (like the so-called "performance mode", which is a joke)

Harmor was the last innovative product made there (and I still consider it a top-5 instrument). Since then, decline.

They went down the wrong road when they tried to make it into a fully-fledged DAW. Pretty much everything they tried was badly thought out, and badly implemented, and now they're stuck with all the bloat, chasing sales with ever more shiny (but useless, and eventually unmaintained) baubles. They should have focused on the core of the product, what made it popular, improved that, and made it all work in a (functioning) plugin, leaving DAW duties to an actual DAW.

Now all the creature comforts and rapid, slick tools FL has can be found elsewhere, so it's become redundant. You can guess what platform I moved to :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”